Author Topic: Watch out for pressure ridges. They could cost you.  (Read 1361 times)

Offline willcfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Watch out for pressure ridges. They could cost you.
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:00 PM »
This probably cost $25K to get out. They went on in the daylight and off in the dark. Pressure ridge had pushed up during the day and collapsed. They drove right in. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Watch out for pressure ridges. They could cost you.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Always a good reminder. Never liked driving my vehicle on the ice regardless of how thick and how many other folks are doing it. Especially when it's dark out.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:59 AM »
I was fishing on a hometown lake where the pressure ridge is normally in the center of the lake. Well one particular year it formed on the east side of the lake. It was freezing cold one morning while we were fishing. I decided to drive back to the truck and warm up for a bit (while I was in college I couldn't afford an ice hut so I would freeze on a bucket haha). Anyway while I was driving to the truck someone came running out of their hut and told me they just watched someone fall through the ice. I drove up to about 30 feet from where the person had fallen through and luckily they had gotten out and I gave them a ride to their truck till search and rescue got to the truck then left after I knew he was in good hands. He was a guy from out of town driving his 4 wheeler and didn't know the break was there and only about 2 inches thick. Had I not been there the guy had about a 20 min walk to his truck and I was by far the closest person to him when he fell.

By buddy and I had debated going to the truck for about three hours till finally I decided I would go. Alot if people don't believe in Devine intervention. I have, currently do, and always will.

Offline fishon21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:30 PM »
That's a pretty impressive recovery there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.