Author Topic: Battery for a fishing light.  (Read 493 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Battery for a fishing light.
« on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
I am considering getting a fishing light I can use for night fishing (legal here in MA).

I tried jury-rigging light set ups using various mini flashlights (comical but somewhat effective) but want something that will be more reliable.

My question is that since there are various options for 12v batteries, which would be best for a LED submersible light?

I've seen 1.3ah, 7ah and 9ah and was wondering if the higher "ah" meant it provided power longer than the lower number?
(of course the price from the 1.3 to the 9 increases, so that why I was asking so I would be able to make the best choice.)

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Battery for a fishing light.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:30 PM »
1 amp for 1 hour . If your light pulls 1 amp , a 7 amp hour battery will be good for 7 hours . 2 amp pull is good for 3.5 hours and so on . Ballpark figures of course .

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Thanks.

I did a little more research on my own and found that out.

Now a follow up question.

Any idea how much power a 90 LED light would draw?
I checked the specs for the product on the company website, but they don't show that info.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Thanks.

I did a little more research on my own and found that out.

Now a follow up question.

Any idea how much power a 90 LED light would draw?
I checked the specs for the product on the company website, but they don't show that info.

I’m not an expert in electrical applications but I’m pretty sure that all depends on how many watts those 90 LED’s draw. Some consumer LED’s can run 5w-10w a piece! That’s a significant difference in power requirements relative to 90 .25w LED’s, especially for a 12v battery.

I made a power box with a 12v 12ah battery and I purchased a 15’ warm white 5050 LED strip that runs 72w at 12v equaling 6amps. I could run them all at full blast for 2 hours. I used only half of the length making it 3 Amps (full blast for 4 hours). I also got an in-line dimmer. At 100% it’s 3 amps (4 hours). At 50% it’s 1.5 amps. (8 hours) At 25% it’s .75 amps (16 hours). I’m pretty sure my math is correct there.

Do they show the wattage? If you know the wattage and the voltage, you can google an amperage converter. Amperage is your power draw. Wattage should be in whatever product description you’re looking at. From there, you should be able to take that amperage and apply it to the amp hours of your battery to figure out how long your battery will last.

I got my 12v 12ah sla battery on amazon for $25.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.