Author Topic: Ice Helix 5 - screen too small?  (Read 7601 times)

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Helix 5 - screen too small?
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Hoping to get actual user's thoughts on the screen size of the 5. My main concern is that it'd be too small to view when sitting in an ice house several feet away. Thanks.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Helix 5 - screen too small?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I went with the Helix 5 because it IS a smaller package. Most of the time it gets used in a Jon boat. Haven't used it on the ice, but IMO, it would only seem too small from that distance if you were in split screen mode.

When ice fishing, every square inch and every pound you have to haul makes a difference. And battery life is better with the 5 then the 7. The 5 uses less juice. 650 ma compared to the 800 ma of the 7.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I wouldn’t say too small at all. I have the 5 and don’t have any issues on the ice.

I also use it on my kayak and only issue with size is when trying to use split view as mentioned.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I wouldn’t say too small at all. I have the 5 and don’t have any issues on the ice.

I also use it on my kayak and only issue with size is when trying to use split view as mentioned.
Thanks for the info, you two. On the split screen, are there any split screen views/options that would be useful to see for ice fishing, not necessarily for popping from hole to hole but for sitting idle in the house?

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Split screen works good when you are sitting in front of it. But for ice fishing, it prob won't help much. At least I can't think of a scenario that would be useful. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe if you can have the flasher and the switchfire  at same time? Not sure if it can be done. I'll have to try it.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I don't think it is too small. I went with the 5 instead of the 7 because the smaller screen delivers longer battery life as they both use the same size battery.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PatrickN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:44 PM »
I went with the 5 for longer battery life and less weight. I sit between 3 and 4 feet from the unit and have had no problem seeing the screen. I do sometimes use the split flasher/sonar screen just to look at the differences. Never had a problem not being able to see the screen clearly.

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I bought the Helix 5 DI / GPS / G2 set up with the Chirp ice transducer mounted on a Genz Pack, 9ah battery.  Amazed at how well it works - after the first two trips I stopped bringing the FL-18 along for back up and its my go to unit now.  Only way IMO to improve it would be to get a bigger screen.  Wish I would have bought the 7 to start with instead of now dealing with a Craigslist sale at a discounted price. 
Is it too small to have in front of you on the ice to see?  No - Not in full screen views. 
Would I like the screen of the Helix 7 that is compared to the entire unit size of the 5?  Yes
Thanks for reading,
Jesse

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on this guys. The one limitation to the 7 is the battery no doubt. Not sure if I can get a solid 12+ hours out of it for an entire season. Also, I need to do more research on whether or not I can get the sprit screen with flasher and 2D on one screen - I think I'd like that view. I have a four wheeler so space is of less concern, however I'm not sure I want to be lugging the larger unit around when I'm popping from hole to hole.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:25 PM »
The Helix 7 on a 9 ah battery will only get you about 7 or 8 hours of fishing....tops. Carry a spare.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:55 PM »
I bought helix ice 7 the battery last about 6 to 7 hours and it is a little on the heavy side goo d thing is you can see it from 20 feet away

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I have a helix 5 g2 and as far as I know you can't have a flasher and sonar split screen.  I prefer the sonar view over the flasher because if you aren't staring constantly at the screen you still won't miss seeing a fish because of the scrolling chart.  If a fish is on the edge of the sonar in flasher mode that flash will only be there a second and then it's gone.  In sonar mode you have until it scrolls off screen till you lose it.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:16 PM »
I use the Helix 7 and love it. Flasher mode  works great but I prefer sonar with the color bar. I turn down brightness to 4 to extend battery life. About 70 to 60% battery life remaining after 8 hours. And I can use it on my boat this summer win win.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I converted HB 797c2 to ice fishing. Only screens I use are flasher and GPS.  Dont need big screen for that and leaves room in my hut for my AquaVu camera.  Perfect set up for me.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:36 PM »
On my second year now using the Helix 5 and it has been very good. I stand most of the time and the unit sits on the ice so I am several feet from it and have no problem viewing the screen clearly.

Offline PatrickN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on this guys. The one limitation to the 7 is the battery no doubt. Not sure if I can get a solid 12+ hours out of it for an entire season. Also, I need to do more research on whether or not I can get the sprit screen with flasher and 2D on one screen - I think I'd like that view. I have a four wheeler so space is of less concern, however I'm not sure I want to be lugging the larger unit around when I'm popping from hole to hole.

Here is a pic of the flasher/2D sonar screen.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:55 PM »
Now I just need to find it in stock somewhere...must be popular since I can't find in anywhere.

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:23 AM »
Now I just need to find it in stock somewhere...must be popular since I can't find in anywhere.

Which one did you decide on?

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Just ordered mine from Glen’s Army Navy in Minnesota.   You are right...they are rarer than hen’s teeth. 🐔

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Which one did you decide on?

Honestly, I'm on the fence but am leaning towards the 5 primarily because of longer battery run times ( I absolutely need it to operate for 11-12 hours on one charge). I hear mixed things about the 7 being able to do that and the unit is so new that no one really knows yet. I also believe the 5 would be a better fit for my fishing style since it's more compact. If I were to be sitting in a house all day then the 7 would be best but I move a lot and think the 7 would be quite large. That said, I know I'm giving up being able to see the unit from 4+ feet away. I know the flasher / 2D split screen will be small but I figure I can drill the hole I put the Helix in while I'm sitting in the house closer to me.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Other than the cost difference, since I fish in a one man flipup and have a camera, everything is within the poor eyesight.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Just ordered mine from Glen’s Army Navy in Minnesota.   You are right...they are rarer than hen’s teeth. 🐔

Thanks for the heads up on Glen's Army Navy. Just ordered their last Helix 5. Free shipping to Montana and good customer service to boot. I appreciate it, Mountain Maggot.

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:41 PM »
I've got the helix 7 and first time out battery only lasted 6 hrs. I turn down to 5 or 6 and amazing the difference in battery life. I still always carry a spare but have not needed it yet. When you shut off unit and turn back on , backlight goes back to 10 but its simple to turn down

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Glen's Army Navy. Just ordered their last Helix 5. Free shipping to Montana and good customer service to boot. I appreciate it, Mountain Maggot.

Glad you got it before someone scooped it up.  They are nice folks to deal with too 😃

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I've got the helix 7 and first time out battery only lasted 6 hrs. I turn down to 5 or 6 and amazing the difference in battery life. I still always carry a spare but have not needed it yet. When you shut off unit and turn back on , backlight goes back to 10 but its simple to turn down

I've heard that helps tremendously. Would be interested in seeing the run times as the battery gets older. I've heard you can upgrade to a lithium as well. Lighter, and longer running but 3x the price. I didnt want to carry another battery all the time as well...

Offline ojibwa6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:50 AM »
The 5 I'm sure doesn't eat the battery as much as the 7 does. I'm sure if you turn down the backlight when you turn it on you will have no problem. just tap start button and the adjustment box will come up

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:08 AM »
i have also found that turning the background screen color from white to a black screen will save on battery as well.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:52 PM »
I run a helix 5 g2 with a 9ah battery that is on its second season.  If I turn down the light to 5, and run black background, I fish 7-9 hours and the battery voltage with the helix on and running has 12.4-12.5 volts at the end of the day. So you should get the run time that you are looking for no problem with the helix 5.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2018, 11:34 PM »
I run a helix 5 g2 with a 9ah battery that is on its second season.  If I turn down the light to 5, and run black background, I fish 7-9 hours and the battery voltage with the helix on and running has 12.4-12.5 volts at the end of the day. So you should get the run time that you are looking for no problem with the helix 5.
Good to hear it, Alaska. Th aks for the input. Putting it to use this weekend.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Mine is coming in on Monday!  This is going to be my first finder designed for the ice and I can't wait to give it a try - at this point just hoping that winter sticks with us until the beginning of inland trout.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.