The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: The war on walleye  (Read 2960 times)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The war on walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:20 PM »
The interesting thing is:
It is not certain how they appeared, but there has been speculation fishermen who migrated from the Midwest and missed going after them illegally introduced the fish.
Get real, lets deal in facts only please. Why propagate a theory some migrant caused this without proof, giving the public ammunition for false blame.

From what I remember, years prior to a sizable population of Walleye in Buffalo Bill there was a decline in Cutthroat populations and creel limits were lowered over the years due to this. While an invasive species can have effect on native species it is hard to believe the walleye would not forage on their natural food sources such as the abundant populations of suckers and yellow perch that are in the lake. It would be interesting to see a concise study as to the stomach contents for average walleye forage habits. Maybe by a "non bias" independent entity. 

Lake trout are also considered an invasive species and have been there many years prior to the walleye, populations of cutthroat were in decline at that time or prior to. Why haven't the same practices been taken to eradicate the lake trout if the only reason cutthroat are in decline is due to an invasive species issue?

There has also been a number of other reasons cutthroat populations have been in decline. Snow pack or lack of and over a decade of drought causing lower water levels in streams as well as warmer water temps where the fry nurse before making the journey back to the lake. Some important tributaries over the years were slowed to a trickle during the cutthroat juvenile stage. The fact other invasive species were introduced such as rainbow trout, cut-bows and as they state "other hybrids" has to have an impact. These species also forage on fry when abundant, especially the sizable populations of invasive trout in the North Fork drainage.

To have an all out war and bounty on walleye in Buffalo Bill as the cause of the plight to cutthroat seems to be a loss of focus on the real issue, on going, for years prior to walleye introduction. Only to be the "NEW" priority to a problem that has evaded answers for decades. Yet its disturbing to hear an active public announcement promoting the want and waste of any species. Not that I could believe anyone would throw a walleye in a "trash can" other then the promoters of the concept.   

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 03:44 PM »
The interesting thing is:Get real, lets deal in facts only please. Why propagate a theory some migrant caused this without proof, giving the public ammunition for false blame.

From what I remember, years prior to a sizable population of Walleye in Buffalo Bill there was a decline in Cutthroat populations and creel limits were lowered over the years due to this. While an invasive species can have effect on native species it is hard to believe the walleye would not forage on their natural food sources such as the abundant populations of suckers and yellow perch that are in the lake. It would be interesting to see a concise study as to the stomach contents for average walleye forage habits. Maybe by a "non bias" independent entity. 

Lake trout are also considered an invasive species and have been there many years prior to the walleye, populations of cutthroat were in decline at that time or prior to. Why haven't the same practices been taken to eradicate the lake trout if the only reason cutthroat are in decline is due to an invasive species issue?

There has also been a number of other reasons cutthroat populations have been in decline. Snow pack or lack of and over a decade of drought causing lower water levels in streams as well as warmer water temps where the fry nurse before making the journey back to the lake. Some important tributaries over the years were slowed to a trickle during the cutthroat juvenile stage. The fact other invasive species were introduced such as rainbow trout, cut-bows and as they state "other hybrids" has to have an impact. These species also forage on fry when abundant, especially the sizable populations of invasive trout in the North Fork drainage.

To have an all out war and bounty on walleye in Buffalo Bill as the cause of the plight to cutthroat seems to be a loss of focus on the real issue, on going, for years prior to walleye introduction. Only to be the "NEW" priority to a problem that has evaded answers for decades. Yet its disturbing to hear an active public announcement promoting the want and waste of any species. Not that I could believe anyone would throw a walleye in a "trash can" other then the promoters of the concept.   

It is no doubt a complicated, but the trout fisheries in the reservoirs of the north platte all are now stocked with large trout, because all the smaller stockers ended up in the bellies of walleye.  So they have had quite a bit of experience with walleye predation.  As far as wanton waste, they have the same rule on burbot in the gorge...

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:54 PM »
interesting to note a video the wygfd posted on youtube about wheatland 3 walleyes only eating other smaller walleyes.  they stock that lake with small rainbows.  they do not stock walleyes.  heres the link to the vid... interesting. safe to say that w3 rainbow fishing is some of the best in the state and from what i hear its been that way for 30 years with an occasional drought

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:19 AM »
   All the walleye I have caught in my 45 years of targeting have yet to show me any salmonids eaten in gut investigations in fish from 14"- 28". All other fish were returned to the water. I think the G&F is placing the blame on a fish that is way better eating and easier to manage than trout. Enough with the attacks on the greenback!
Could be that God put them where he put them for all to enjoy. I love catching all types of fish so I am not biased to any certain species.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Somewhere I have a photo of a 6 to 7 lb walleye that had 15 trout in its stomach that were four to six inches long. The trout were in various stages of digestion, some were pretty far gone while a couple looked like they could swim off if you put them back in the water.

There is no doubt walleye eat trout.

ClearCreek

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Somewhere I have a photo of a 6 to 7 lb walleye that had 15 trout in its stomach that were four to six inches long. The trout were in various stages of digestion, some were pretty far gone while a couple looked like they could swim off if you put them back in the water.

There is no doubt walleye eat trout. If the body of water does not hold adequate forage for fish they will prey on whats readily available including eating their own. Survival of the fittest takes over.

ClearCreek

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 09:59 PM »
well i'm going to make some phone call's to Mr. Jason Burckhardt. at the Cody Office of the Wyoming Game and Fish, I know in the past they have netted them and thrown them away in the garbage.. I would like to ask him if or when they do that to at least think about taking them to one of the present lakes/pond/reservoirs that lye within 30 miles of cody- Deaver, Harrington or Wardell and put them in there. I know there are hundreds of folks that would rather catch walleye in northern wyoming than trout.

I'll let you know what I find out and if moving some of them they capture to some other bodies of water is an option.. You to can call and recommend they do something with them other than just haven them thrown on the bank or garbage can..

Thanks.........
Marvin

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:32 PM »
well i'm going to make some phone call's to Mr. Jason Burckhardt. at the Cody Office of the Wyoming Game and Fish, I know in the past they have netted them and thrown them away in the garbage.. I would like to ask him if or when they do that to at least think about taking them to one of the present lakes/pond/reservoirs that lye within 30 miles of cody- Deaver, Harrington or Wardell and put them in there. I know there are hundreds of folks that would rather catch walleye in northern wyoming than trout.

I'll let you know what I find out and if moving some of them they capture to some other bodies of water is an option.. You to can call and recommend they do something with them other than just haven them thrown on the bank or garbage can..

Thanks.........

They now have a big fish fry.. Its open to public and lots of volunteers to help filet fish. I've been told its a good eat and good times. G&F help and you can see what is out there. Lots of food. That's what I've been told and the reference that told me is one of the volunteers so no more waist. I would love to join one day.
No one left behind.     

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Bite your tongue Houligan...  ;D 

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:59 PM »
It has been my personal experience that walleyes netted by Game and Fish employees end up being eaten by Game and Fish employees, I seriously doubt they are being thrown away, so I believe they aren't being wasted. If they are being discarded, I'm sure nursing homes, and soup kitchens would gladly take and should probably be given these fish.

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:13 PM »
It has been my personal experience that walleyes netted by Game and Fish employees end up being eaten by Game and Fish employees, I seriously doubt they are being thrown away, so I believe they aren't being wasted. If they are being discarded, I'm sure nursing homes, and soup kitchens would gladly take and should probably be given these fish.

Not true.
In fact they are not allowed to keep any fish for personal use when they are sampling.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:04 PM »
Matt R.
  Sorry, they may not be allowed to but it does occur. I worked for Wyoming Game and Fish and was witness to it happening so I can say for sure it has happened in the past!

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:37 PM »
In waters where a native species is imperiled I support a reasonable effort to remove invasives. However, in lakes where there are multiple invasives it's hard for me to see the logic in removing one invasive but not another. Rainbows and Laketrout may not be as hard on the native cutthrout as walleye but they can't be entirley blameless either. Who decides that one species of invasive is desirable and not another? Why isn't the public allowed a voice in this discussion? I haven't seen a questionnaire from the game and fish asking which species of invasive I want my dollars to support. My informal polling (of fishing buddies) shows unanimous support for managing non-trout species (walleye, perch, smallmouth, northerns, etc) in more WY lakes. The state has plenty of trout that nobody wants to keep. Obviously, some of these species can flourish in WY so survival isn't an issue. Its been suggested that the biggest factor in the game and fish preference for invasive trout over other species of invasives is that they need to justify the funding for their hatcheries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.