Author Topic: Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Frabill Bro Series & Polar Bird 3  (Read 2418 times)

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking at buying one of the above for my Dad and I.  So, looking for a 2 to 3 person Hub style that we can pull on our ice sled.  All three look good and can find plenty of reviews for the Quickfish 3i, but little on the Frabill Bro Series.  Quickfish 3i by far the cheapest right now with Cabela's sale.  Thanks for the help!

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Frabill Bro Series & Polar Bird 3
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Sitting in my quickfish 3I right now. Love it, plenty of room for 3 guys as a warming hut and to keep bait from freezing in the deep cold. I put it on top of my bait bucket last, and use three bungee cords to strap it down. Good luck!

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:41 AM »
If you are looking at the Eskimo, you may want to check out the prices at these sites www.landmsupply.com or www.marinegeneral.com.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Scheels has the Otter XTH Cabin on sale for $199.99 plus $25 off shipping.  I just ordered one, $225 all in tax and shipping.  It's 72"x72", the Quickfish is 70"x70"
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 10:53 AM »
I also like the fact that at 6’, I can stand up comfortably in the 3I. And not just in the middle

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Thanks - how does that compare to the Quickfish 3i and others above?

Scheels has the Otter XTH Cabin on sale for $199.99 plus $25 off shipping.  I just ordered one, $225 all in tax and shipping.  It's 72"x72", the Quickfish is 70"x70"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I also like the fact that at 6’, I can stand up comfortably in the 3I. And not just in the middle
I'm 6'2 and my son is 6'5. We can  stand upright in my 3i. I try to buy locally, but none of the stores got any XTH Cabins in. I'm very happy with the 3i.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:59 PM »
So, ended up buying a Otter XTH Pro Cabin.  It was delivered today and when folded bigger than I thought it would be.  I pull a small ice sled for my auger and bucket with poles.  I am curious what size ice sleds others are using to hand pull a 2-3 man ice hut.  Maybe a medium size will work better, as the small when not be able to pull all of the above gear, plus a heater too.   Thanks!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:46 PM »
How tight is your roof?  I was afraid I was going to break a pole pulling it from the outside so I did the sides first to make sure nothing was bound and it sketched me out how hard I had to push to finally get it up.  When it's set up there is a visible bow to the roof poles like they are too long.  I'm hoping the fabric is gonna stretch a bit or something.

As to your sled question I use a utility sled that's a bit wider and a bit shorter than most ice sleds.  I put my buckets and sonar on one side, tipups and random stuff on the bottom of the other side then pile on the shanty and auger.  For the small Mr. Heater style there is no great way to pack it so I just wedge it in somewhere between the shack and buckets where I don't think it will fall out.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:16 PM »
So, ended up buying a Otter XTH Pro Cabin.  It was delivered today and when folded bigger than I thought it would be.  I pull a small ice sled for my auger and bucket with poles.  I am curious what size ice sleds others are using to hand pull a 2-3 man ice hut.  Maybe a medium size will work better, as the small when not be able to pull all of the above gear, plus a heater too.   Thanks!

I have a regular jet sled to haul my gear, including the 3i. I put the Shanty on one side, on top of my tall cooler and bait bucket. Cooler all the way to the back, and next to it is a bucket with traps and poles. In front of that bucket is my clam plate set up. Everything else gets filled in under the Shanty up front and next to the auger. I use bungees to hold it all into place.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Thanks - those are good ideas!

I have a regular jet sled to haul my gear, including the 3i. I put the Shanty on one side, on top of my tall cooler and bait bucket. Cooler all the way to the back, and next to it is a bucket with traps and poles. In front of that bucket is my clam plate set up. Everything else gets filled in under the Shanty up front and next to the auger. I use bungees to hold it all into place.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:38 AM »
i am contemplating building a PVC frame, say 20-22" high, so that all the buckets and gear can lay in the bottom, and i can frame the top to hold the shanty and auger. sort of like a ladder rack on a pickup truck. just haven't gotten around to moving further than having the thought

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of building an auger rack as well but unless you put it right in the middle it's going to make the center of gravity all wonky.  I think whenever I'm out this weekend I might just try packing the sled in different ways and see if there is a better solution.   

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of building an auger rack as well but unless you put it right in the middle it's going to make the center of gravity all wonky.  I think whenever I'm out this weekend I might just try packing the sled in different ways and see if there is a better solution.   

I always toil with the packing as i am unwinding my fishing at the end of the day. Especially if it's nice out. the issue i have it i haven't had the grill out yet....
Hoping there will be a balance with the shanty and the auger on the rack. it wouldn't be too different than the way i currently pack the sled. The rack will double as my table for grilling

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:14 AM »
The shanty would help balance it out.  I've though about making a bucket rack that hangs off the back of my sled like the Clam bait bucket does, but I should probably just bring less crap lol.

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:28 AM »
The shanty would help balance it out.  I've though about making a bucket rack that hangs off the back of my sled like the Clam bait bucket does, but I should probably just bring less crap lol.

Amen. I've been saying less crap for years....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.