Author Topic: Auger Modification  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Auger Modification
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Has anyone tried welding a center spike in between there blades to act as a centering piece to keep the auger from walking? was thinking of trying this to see if I could use my six inch to almost make like a figure 8 hole by overlapping two holes. I don't have the money to go out and buy a bigger auger.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Auger Modification
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:43 AM »
i can tell you that my strike master 6" got bent over a long period of time so only one blade makes contact correctly. i do reopen holes with it and do make overlapping holes at time and make live wells on top of ice with it. also i use it for an ice anchor and leave it in half cut holes.
i had to start pushing down some on it with new blades. i have a new one now and what i difference there is and the new one has the junk blades from china on it.

so what i am saying is you might bend yours too. not sure how to make it right again. also, i am not sure what method bent it. it if was reopening or overlapping holes. i think if it couldn't walk away from a big pressure point it would bend even more. the point your thinking about would keep it from being able to walk away from this pressure point and maybe speed up the problem.

i've noticed bigger augers use a support leg to try to keep this from happening. i always thought it would require more torque to use a bit with those on them.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I was thinking that it would work more like a spade bit with that cent point holding it in place.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Try touching it up with a fine narrow sharpening stone.Top side only.The tips of the blades were it 1st contacts the ice sometimes wear a little and stops it from biting when starting your hole causing it to walk. also while you have your blades off make sure it is all smooth were your blades mount. Mine had a little blemish under one blade causing that blade to set a little different.I gave mine a little love the other day (about 10 minutes} difference was night and day. Touched up my Nils also with the same results. I put my blades in a vice and worked the stone with both hands for better control.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:20 AM »
my blades are fine, that is not the problem, the problem is when I tried to do an overlapping hole, it just wants to walk into the first hole.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Use a spud and make a depression like you would when drilling into something hard.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:11 PM »
  I don't see why it wouldn't work.   But if your off center it may cause some issues. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.