The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best lakes in western/central Pa  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best lakes in western/central Pa
« on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:47 AM »
This could be disputed over and over and isn’t it always true, the further you travel the better the fishing should be? Or at least that’s what we all think when we are having bad luck at our usual spots. My fishing buddy who passed away this year, it was a topic we went thru often... we live close to a major lake we both grew up fishing, but fishing it often we always thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence and often tired new lakes as often as we could. So fishing the tried and true areas suddenly we had to figure out a new lake, often successfully we would find fish.

So if you travel for fish and don’t have the luxury to fish the strips or farm ponds that lack the people and are crowded with fish where would you go?

As many places as I have fished.... it’s hard to beat the big lake up north. Erie has always been a favorite for me for many reasons. As many people that make the trip, there are fish for all of them. Large and small and no matter where you go, it’s hard not to find fish. I like to get away from the crowds and there is plenty of space up there to get away.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Jct330

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best lakes in western/central Pa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Sorry to hear of your fishing buddy passing away. That's got to be emotionally tough fishing without him. But probably lots of great memories that cheer you up though.

I like to travel for fishing cause it's all part of the adventure. And it's somehow kinda mystical trying new places or places visited long ago. And sometimes the fishing is truly better but sometimes not and I realize I'd have been better off sticking closer to home.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Hey jagger i'm very sorry fer yer loss of a very good buddy that being said i enjoy that same feelin wit golf courses as well as different places ta fish ...tight lines fer yer bud  he is smilin i'm sure...

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Well pyme is an hour. Arthur is 25 minutes and shenango is 35 minutes. For me Arthur is not for me. Don't eat bass. And I think the panfish are small. Shenango. Crappies are like 8 or 9" small. But have had trips to pyme loaded with slob perch or slab crappies. But I got on a small 5 or 6 acre farm lake and the gills and crappies are BIG boys. Erie too far and I don't pay extra for fishing. Think it's stupid to have to pay more to fish there

Chute82

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Well pyme is an hour. Arthur is 25 minutes and shenango is 35 minutes. For me Arthur is not for me. Don't eat bass. And I think the panfish are small. Shenango. Crappies are like 8 or 9" small. But have had trips to pyme loaded with slob perch or slab crappies. But I got on a small 5 or 6 acre farm lake and the gills and crappies are BIG boys. Erie too far and I don't pay extra for fishing. Think it's stupid to have to pay more to fish there

Think it’s time to spend your high school graduation money, been hanging onto that money for 25+ yrs

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Come on chute. How many times since you got me hooked on hard water have you and I or even you gone to the big pond? 1? And it was dink perch and one steely not worth my lunch money😂Oh I used that. Barmitfa cash

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Sorry for your loss, I've made the long trip from SW Pa to NEPA to fish with some buddies different weekends over the years nice getting on new ice and generally the fishing has been good.

Chute82

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Come on chute. How many times since you got me hooked on hard water have you and I or even you gone to the big pond? 1? And it was dink perch and one steely not worth my lunch money😂Oh I used that. Barmitfa cash

It’s about the experience not about how many fish you put in the bucket..sit back relax and enjoy the day.... life is way to short

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I don't mind catching small fish we laugh good about it. But to spend more on travel and license for it. Not an experience I want.

Chute82

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I don't mind catching small fish we laugh good about it. But to spend more on travel and license for it. Not an experience I want.

If I remember right you didn’t pay for gas and it wasn’t your veh.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Wow attacking now. That's harsh. But your memory has been compromised

Offline Tmoon53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I like to fish all the closer lakes, Justus, Wilhelm, Arthur and Kahle. My favorite is Pymatuning, lots of variety.

Offline msolada45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:59 PM »
I'm like really new to the ice fishing scene and I live in DuBois and basically the two spots I know there are huge crappie are closed to fishing. Reservoir is strictly no fishing and Sabula lake u have to own property there to fish. Anywhere else near me with good numbers andgood ice right now? Also I need fishing buddies. I did catch this hog today though at treasure lake but normally they're small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.