Author Topic: Oliver & Olin  (Read 6428 times)

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
Oliver & Olin
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Anyone been on these this week?  I'm thinking about going early Saturday with a friend if you want to meet up.  Hopefully the ice is solid  ::)

-Michael

Offline Staubsaugen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Oliver & Olin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Ice is good everywhere I was on Olin Sunday morning. The bite has not been great the several times I've been. I'll be there Saturday with a group of friends trying to land a few and have a good time. So say hey.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Good to hear. I haven't been since warm-up last week.
I'm not able to get til Monday or tuesday. Hope weekend warm doesn't hurt ice too much.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Was there Mon. morn. two hits no fish.  Really slow last few times I have been there.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Thanks, guys!  At least I feel confident the ice will be "safe" on olin, which is plan A.  Has anyone been out on the main lake of oliver? 

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Thanks, guys!  At least I feel confident the ice will be "safe" on olin, which is plan A.  Has anyone been out on the main lake of oliver?
I have not this year. Drive by the boat launch and you will find out. I made it to end of channel last year and main lake was beyond sketchy

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:18 PM »
We ended up with three really fat rainbows on oliver yesterday; missed a couple more.  Seemed like the bite was from 12-3 on 6-10" of ice. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Keep in mind the size limit on the browns is 18 inches.  I'm sure everybody here knows that but just in case...
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:01 PM »
I really doubt there are any keeper browns in there right now, maybe next year.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:04 PM »
I really doubt there are any keeper browns in there right now, maybe next year.
There  are absolutely keeper browns in there. Some big boys hiding in the depths. I've picked them up 20 feet plus jigging. Seems like they are harder to get in the winter thru the ice though. Hit the ledges at first ice out on the steep drops. I jig a white fluke on 1/4 oz and can pick up some of the bigger fish. You won't get numbers like trolling but the big pike and browns in this lake will surprise you.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:41 PM »
I was thinking the browns pretty much died out since they didnt stock them for a few years, and this years brood would still be undersized.  Havent caught one in there in a couple years but also dont fish it as much as i used to

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I caught a brown in Oliver this early summer tolling. It was maybe a foot long, pretty little fish and back he went.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:13 PM »
i dont doubt there could be some big browns in the lake, but i havent seen any.  they must be few an far between.  probably caught and cleaned 50+ dink bows last year.  all that fishing and not one brown came in my boat.  not even a small one.  have caught a few in years past though.

when clear was crackin you would catch a couple most trips.
still not what i would call "big brown trout" (left hand)

dang tasty just the same tho. ;D  i sure hope they grow big.  those runt bows from oliver chain just dont taste as good as the bigger ones that have been feeding naturally.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:51 AM »
There  are absolutely keeper browns in there. Some big boys hiding in the depths. I've picked them up 20 feet plus jigging. Seems like they are harder to get in the winter thru the ice though. Hit the ledges at first ice out on the steep drops. I jig a white fluke on 1/4 oz and can pick up some of the bigger fish. You won't get numbers like trolling but the big pike and browns in this lake will surprise you.

There are some big ones but they would grow faster and have a better survival if we could reintroduce a coldwater forage fish in the lake system. The ones I have seen as a taxidermist up to 23 inches have the conformity of stream fish which is on the skinny side.

I have heard reports of healthy chunky big browns but haven't actually seen them or even a picture.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:54 AM »
We ended up with three really fat rainbows on oliver yesterday; missed a couple more.  Seemed like the bite was from 12-3 on 6-10" of ice.

Length range? Good to hear they are "fat." All the rainbows and browns I caught last summer looked emaciated. Did you happen to see anything in their stomaches other than zooplankton and what appears to be a "bottom goo?"

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:55 AM »
I was thinking the browns pretty much died out since they didnt stock them for a few years, and this years brood would still be undersized.  Havent caught one in there in a couple years but also dont fish it as much as i used to

The INDNR has been planting browns again for several years now from a federal source. I caught and released several this summer trolling mostly in Olin. None over 14 or 15 inches though.

The thing about brown trout, which I really like, and most of you probably know, is you will never catch as many browns as rainbows even when there are same number of browns and rainbows. They are a wary species and one of the reasons they hold over better.

One study done on a stream showed 5 brook trout and 3 rainbows caught for every brown trout.

In states where there are private ponds that allow survival of trout year around, Fish and Game departments and private hatcheries advise against stocking browns because they are harder catch and some survive to be cannibals on any new smaller trout planted.

From personal experience in my trout pond I have been able to remove every brook and rainbow trout by angling but here always seems to be a few brown trout left.

This 12 pound pig was one of the last brown trout removed from the pond one year. I had no idea he was in the pond.

Offline Staubsaugen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:07 AM »
Well we fished Olin hard Saturday with only one fish to show for it. Glad you got some on Oliver! Guess if any ice holds I'll have to try there. What depths/baits worked for you?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Well we fished Olin hard Saturday with only one fish to show for it. Glad you got some on Oliver! Guess if any ice holds I'll have to try there. What depths/baits worked for you?

What was it and what size?

Did you try spreading out tip ups? Years ago I used to catch them just below the ice on a tip up.

Offline Staubsaugen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:02 AM »
Rainbow, 15 inches healthy looking. Buddy caught when he was checking a tipup. We had tip-ups at various depths and jigged different presentations at different depths. All things that have been tremendously productive in the past...

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:57 AM »
We got two rainbows on tipups ~12' down in ~14' of water (one 15" and one 17") and the third was caught out of the shanty in 4' (17").  Their bellies were jammed full of minnows.  The one caught in the shanty was the wildest, hardest fight I have ever seen on ice, very fun.  Everything was caught on minnows.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:25 AM »
We got two rainbows on tipups ~12' down in ~14' of water (one 15" and one 17") and the third was caught out of the shanty in 4' (17").  Their bellies were jammed full of minnows.  The one caught in the shanty was the wildest, hardest fight I have ever seen on ice, very fun.  Everything was caught on minnows.

Any idea what kind of minnows? Brook Silversides or some kind of shiners? Could they have been smelt? It would be exciting to find the smelt were not completely extirpated and making a comeback!

Here is a Brook Silversides if you're not familiar with them. A great forage fish in the fall and spring but not accessible when the trout are deep in the summer. They are not a coldwater forage fish.

Brook Silversides

Rainbow Smelt

If you open the mouth of a smelt it has some really wicked teeth for it's size. The Brook Silversides does not. The smelt also has an adipose fin like a trout which a brook silversides does not.

Somebody needs to put the stomach contents in ziplock bag and freeze them if they are bait fish of some kind, and take them to one of the biologists (or mail them) if they think they are smelt, or don't know what they are. I used to be able to identify 150 species of fish but I'm a little rusty, and I don't get out much anymore. Buried up to my eyeballs in taxidermy work. Probably could identify a BS or RS if it they were fairly fresh but would prefer a biologist verify it for obvious reasons.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I release 95 % of the trout. If I keep one I'll check it's stomach.  I didn't know what smelt looked like and when I was up in michigan I kept catching annoying fish when I was perch fishing. Turns out we got on a mess of smelt and guy told us we should have kept for bait.

It would be cool if smelt were back in Oliver. They still have freshwater jellyfish?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I release 95 % of the trout. If I keep one I'll check it's stomach.  I didn't know what smelt looked like and when I was up in michigan I kept catching annoying fish when I was perch fishing. Turns out we got on a mess of smelt and guy told us we should have kept for bait.

It would be cool if smelt were back in Oliver. They still have freshwater jellyfish?

I haven't heard any reports of the freshwater jellyfish but don't now why they wouldn't be there. Most people aren't looking for them. The ones I saw were in the area they call "The Bass Pond."

Smelt are prized as good to eat too! Just before they seem to have disappeared on Oliver I have caught them up to 10 or. 11 inches fishing for trout at night. 

The Michigan DNR is big on keeping population bolstered by planting eggs in inland lakes. Last I heard they were doing that on Gull Lake. Apparently unless you have a smelt population in a lake the landlocked salmon don't do very well. Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts are big on keeping smelt populations healthy in their larger trout and salmon lakes. Sometimes the voracious predator the lake trout will cause their number to dwindle and they are cyclical.

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I only opened one of the stomachs but the least deteriorated fish were silversides. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:20 AM »
I only opened one of the stomachs but the least deteriorated fish were silversides.

Thanks! Well, need to get back to he grindstone. My hope is to get everything out of the freezer this winter and hanging from the rafters! Not finished but on their way. So far have mounted everything up that has come in this winter and hanging from the rafters to be completed once I get everything else done!

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:52 AM »

Should have added this earlier...  proof!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:24 PM »
In case anyone missed it on Myfishfinder, that fishes the Oliver Lake chain, these two proposal papers I put together have some good background and historical information you might find of interest. I've fished the chain going back to 1975. Also some interesting pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfC2NBfqz05VndzWDlVblhiNjA/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzfC2NBfqz05bXFBakxVODVub00/view

Offline mfick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to Fly Fish
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Good stuff, thank you for posting.  Whatever happened to the proposal for reintroducing smelt?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Good stuff, thank you for posting.  Whatever happened to the proposal for reintroducing smelt?

Biologist in INDNR said no. Reason given was didn't want to introduce exotic species. I believe they also felt they could have a detrimental effect on native species in the system. I don't agree and tried to make my case in the above paper but what can you do? The chain has never been a great bluegill bass or yellow perch fishery due to limnological reasons. And smelt sure don't occupy spawning areas of bluegill and bass as the water is too warm.

Maybe things could change if enough of us asked for it?  Supposed to be a closed meeting on management of trout in Indiana this winter. Have not heard anything yet. You can call Larry Koza at (260) 829-6241 Or email [email protected] Please be respectful as not being so won't get us anywhere.

I respect the biologists and INDNR, just don't agree and find it disappointing compared to other states that manage put and grow trout fisheries. Just seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe it's because we live in a very conservative state? Maybe there is pressure from those that are pushing the reintroduction of native species as in the non-game wildlife fund? Maybe introducing exotic species is a big taboo now? That said trout and salmon or exotic aren't they? Just speculating here.

I will say one thing. I wouldn't be surprised if someone dumps some in again illegally. I know a few anglers come down from Michigan to fish Oliver. The trouble with this is they could introduce something we don't want if they brought them in from the Great Lakes. Lots of nasty things in the water in the Great Lakes these days including a wicked virus called VHS.  I see zebras are already in the lake.

One thing that concerns me is a laborer at Curtis Creek has or is retiring and there don't seem to be plans to replace her. Also the hatchery manager has been having serious health issues. It's not the most efficient place as due to iron levels the eggs have to be hatched at Fawn River. (Hence it's called Trout Rearing Station vs. hatchery). The facility was originally built by NEITA. I could see the INDNR closing it. Hopefully picking up the trout rearing at another hatchery? 

We are getting brown trout now so I'm happy about that!  Like Mic Jagger says, "You can't always get what you want!"

Personally seriously considering moving to the northeast in a few years for better coldwater fishing opportunities.  Only thing holding me up is my parents that live on my property. Wife is retiring this year and ready to go! 

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:28 PM »
as far as the oliver browns, 
well they are there as well as a very healthy smallie population also.  what I have noticed is they act more like bass than trout there.  and hence the low catch rate. 
most we catch in the summer , up to 24", are caught in deep weeds 16-22' and usually on  4" or 5" tubes.  my thought is they gave up chasing all those silly little minnows and every brown caught comes up coughing up bluegill. my personal opinion is they have given up roaming and chasing and are keyed in on bigger forage and more ambush style foraging. what we catch them on and where is defiantly not what the trout guys are doing.
just an observation from being on there at least once a week if not more all summer.
and a side note is there are some giant browns in there,  I bow fish it a lot and after dark they frequent less than 2' of water. again not where the trout guys are.
now if they would quit tossing in trout and let the smallies do their thing....now that would be A plan!!! seen many a good 3# plus smallies on the beds at night fighting off a pack of stockers...
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.