Author Topic: K Drill / Milwaukee Fusion drill question  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
K Drill / Milwaukee Fusion drill question
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Bought a new K Drill and brought it out Sunday, cut 15 holes in 12" of solid black ice no problem, cut great, was very pleased. Put the drill down for 30 minutes came back drilled one more hole and the battery was dead??? Does the cold kill the battery that quickly? Granted it was 5 degrees out, but the batteries were exposed for less than an hour and dead. I had the other battery in a cooler bag, took it out and drilled a few more holes no problem.

What suggestions do you have for keeping the batteries warm when out on the ice w/ no bob house to keep them in, if that is the problem?

Thanks for the help

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: K Drill / Milwaukee Fusion drill question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Are you sure it is a good battery?   I have a new DeWalt with 5 amp batteries.   I can drill about 25 holes through 15 inches of ice and still have battery left.  I leave my drill inside the unseated ranger cab between moving to a new area.   I don’t set it down on the ice and snow

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:35 AM »
What kinds of drill are you using? I run a 18V Milw Fuel drill with 5ah batteries and have never needed to use my second battery. We have about 14-16 inches of ice this year in Southern Wisconsin.
WiMeatHunter

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:38 AM »
I have a Dewalt 995 w/4 ah batteries on a 8 in Kdrill atop a Clam plate ...my drill was cutting out after several holes on its first outing last week ..it was all due to me not putting the battery in firmly ...yesterday mine along with my buddies Mil 2703/6 in Kdrill saved the day as my other buddies SM Mag 2000 had some running issues .Temperatures started out at 6F at day break so no issues drilling holes all day as temp rose in to the high teens.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:42 AM »
What kinds of drill are you using? I run a 18V Milw Fuel drill with 5ah batteries and have never needed to use my second battery. We have about 14-16 inches of ice this year in Southern Wisconsin.

Same as you...I heard nothing but good things on these drills, but if I can only drill 15 holes per battery, I have to rethink this investment.

I did check the battery when I got home, and it was def dead, not a connection issue. Charged both batteries overnight, so they should both have started off fully charged.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:47 AM »
I bet the battery died due to the cold being out in the elements.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:23 PM »
I also use the Milwaukee Fuel with a Nils 6”, I pop the battery off and put in my pocket after drilling to keep warm...my batteries are easily 5yrs and I can still go an entire day on 1. With that being said I just picked up a Kdrill 8” and will be curious to see how well the drill performs and how long the battery lasts
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:12 PM »
8" kdrill is awesome, cuts great, light weight. If I can figure out this battery issue I will be happy. Just have a hard time accepting that kdrill recommends the the Fusion Drill, and cold will kill the batteries that quickly. Thinking of insulating them using a beer cousy and keeping it in my pocket.

Thanks for the help.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:29 PM »
I'm a Nils and Fuel user here too, and I have used mine down to -15.  I don't lay it in the snow, but I don't do anything else to it and havent had any issues in 3 full seasons with it.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:05 PM »
8" kdrill is awesome, cuts great, light weight. If I can figure out this battery issue I will be happy. Just have a hard time accepting that kdrill recommends the the Fusion Drill, and cold will kill the batteries that quickly. Thinking of insulating them using a beer cousy and keeping it in my pocket.

Thanks for the help.

Even if you watch their YouTube video it’s showing them using the Fuel
I’ll be trying out the Kdrill tomorrow

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I very rarely needed a second battery with the same combo (5ah batteries) last season unless I was drilling holes for whole group in 2ft of ice, but over the weekend I drained a battery with 15 holes in 10" of ice, and I think its because my blades are shot. I was having to push down way harder then I remember. Going to swap blades and hope it solves the issue. I use the fuel with 8" kdrill.

Offline Flagrunner85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I run a Fuel with an 8” auger and as other have said battery life has not ever been an issue with the 5.0 battery pack. I also bring 2 batteries but always only end up using 1.

I do think that the cold may sometimes affect battery life. My trick to keep the drill battery warm is to take one of the disposal hand warmers and attach it to the bottom of the battery using a couple of rubber bands.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Rob which model drill do you have ?  I tried out my KDrill today and it cuts awesome
Check the model you have against what they list in the booklet that comes with the KDrill

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:30 AM »
What if you get a very small cooler and put the battery in it with a hand warmer.
MA

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:52 AM »
What if you get a very small cooler and put the battery in it with a hand warmer.

That should work ..I use a insulated collapsible lunch bag.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I never warm my Milwaukee fuel 5.0 battery I never lose that much battery during the day I've cut 30 40 holes and still at half a battery and 10 degree weather something's wrong with your battery
Go big or go home

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:03 AM »
It sounds to me like an isolated battery issue! No way these things should be dead after 15 holes! I have been using a Milwaukee Fuel for 2 years now. Last year It took me 3 days of ice-fishing to kill one 5.0AH battery in 10" of ice with an 8" mora auger during "testing". (50+ holes)

I have had mine out in some brutal weather this year. Couple days below ZERO. I don't rest it on the ice, but I prop it against my sled out in the open. Only issue I had was the one day when I got home and put the battery back on the charger it flashed red. Checked the book and it said when that happens the battery is too cold to charge. So you just have to wait til the battery warms back up to room temp and you are good to charge. About an hr later I tried it again and it charged just fine.

These new batteries are designed to be used in the cold(ie commercial grade for contractors), so you should not have to worry about keeping them warm. Like I said, I have been using them the last 2 years on some very cold days and do not do anything to keep the batteries warm. And absolutely no issues!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. After researching this issue I have found a number of guys saying new batteries have a short life, after charging and draining 6 or 7 times the battery gets stronger...I will be taking it out tomorrow and will see how it does in the warm weather.

Thanks all.

Offline Rob M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Was able to drill roughly 25 holes today and the battery still showed it was half charged.

Feeling much better about this set up now.

Thanks

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Was able to drill roughly 25 holes today and the battery still showed it was half charged.

Feeling much better about this set up now.

Thanks

Rob do you use the clam plate with your set up?   I considered buy it, but after this weekend of drilling many many holes with just the handle....I’d say I don’t need it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.