The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Change the panfish limit..  (Read 6745 times)

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Change the panfish limit..
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:47 PM »
Chez,don't get me started on how the PGC destroyed the deer herd. I'm blaming global warming,no fish,no deer,no small game,no waterfowl. Boy I miss those old days. lol

Sorry brother.
Don't mean to upset you.

They are gunna mess up the panfish population,just like the deer.
I'm for one that never took 50 panniers.
I've caught many a 50 pluss limit,but 25 is my top to keep.
But i get out a lot.
So 25.   10 times a year is allmost the same as 5 trips keeping 50.
My big complaint is the spring spawn.
Where lots of the big pennies breaders
Are taken....the spring limit SHOULD NOT BE 50.NOT EVEN ON BULLHEAD.
I'M A BIG TIME LOVER OF BULLHEAD FISHING.I NEVER TAKE MORE THAN 10.
JUST MY OPINION.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I took a combo of 12 gills and 5 perch one trip and friend took same next. We are done for the season, now all catch and release unless they have swallowed our favorite lure! We don't believe in being hogs!
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline Meatyball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:28 PM »
Hogs are needed to control stunting plain and simple. Sometimes they go overboard yes. A 6 acre pond shouldnt have a 50 fish limit, but I dont foresee the commish  micro managing a game land pond. Personally I think those hogs did that pond a favor, if they caught that many

Offline Meatyball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Most of the fishing population arent skilled enough to catch 50 panfish in one trip really, except the amish lol

icewagon

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Make it fishing again get rid of the electronics !

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:11 AM »
I stock my freezer during winter .. I don't have a boat which limits me during open water seasons.. waders only help so much.  But once I hit enough stock in my freezer my take home rest of the year is generally limited to fresh meals . I've kept 50 maybe 4 times in ther last 10 years and each time I do it i think to myself what was I thinking ..

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:34 AM »
Meatyball- Overfishing, unregulated can wipe out a larger lake , also...Rose Valley is a good example..It swings in  big cycles of several years with poor populations, then everyone takes their limit, and it is poor for a couple years..mainly because the fish hogs give up. Always pockets of fish in those off years, though, for those who have several days to search them out..

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Icewagon- "Make it fishing again get rid of the electronics !" That would help, and also add a bit of dignity to the task. But we have been over that before. I used to carry one on my sled to find depth on certain lakes...Nesmuck, for example- as when the perch there were on 18', they stayed at that level,,,other than that, I got bored with it..

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:29 AM »
A limit of 20 panfish is plenty for anyone.  We can blame the Fish Commission for the lack of fish and the Game Commission for the lack of game, but the truth is it's the abundance of greed that's the problem.  Who needs 50 fish at one time?  There are those who go day after day during the spawn and will stay until dark to get number 50.  They are first to complain the fishing is going down hill after they have continually taken the biggest breeders out of the system.  Also, there are those who brag they filled 3 doe tags.  Three doe, plus maybe another 6 young born in the spring, that's another 9 deer that could have been running around next season.  And we blame the Game Commission?  Yes, maybe for the abundance of tags, but do they need all that meat or is hunting somehow confused with the number of animals one can kill?  There would be enough for everyone if we only could police ourselves.

Offline PAFishFiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Since changing the limit on Sayers, I'm seeing more of a spread in size of crappie. Of course, it's also making a difference that the PFC started stocking white crappie in the lake to set up more reproduction of them. All the bigger ones I'm catching at Sayers are usually white crappie- black crappie are still mostly on the small size.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:01 AM »
I'm all for reducing creel limits for panfish.  I agree that 50 is just too many for anyone.  I'd really like to see PA adopt panfish enhancement regs statewide for pretty much everywhere and not just select waterways.  Further, I'd really like to see the state consider slot limits on a number of species to protect the breeder population. 

I've posted before about fish age and size in PA.  In case anyone is interested, I found this pretty fascinating: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=303405.0

After spending some time doing some research in PA, I've adopted self-imposed creel and size limits.  As the saying goes: Limit your kill.  Don't kill your limit.

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Pa fbcommission has started panfish regulations on some lakes.all lakes are not equal either.some are over populated with crappie and some are not.Pymatuning just got a new 20 fish 9" minimum limit.
As far as hunting ,i live in western pa.hunting is great.i hunt Pa,Ohio,indiana. I would not trade hunting around my house for anywhere. However,my son and i have not harvested a doe in years.
Each is to their own,but all situations not the same.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline gtjiggywtit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I agree with butcher slot limits and lower creel limits are the way to go , scientific research backs this up but pa fish comish is way behind the times and probably always will be. On another note I have personally watched the amish clean out a private lake I grew up on - they have no creel limits at all!!!!

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:31 PM »
As I have stated earlier, I'm in favor of some type of restriction. From June 1st through December 15th or even Dec 31st isn't really a problem. The pressure catching panfish sort of dwindles (other than Lake Erie perch) at that time due to warmer water temps, bass/walleye/ muskie fishing. But once the winter ice comes and they start to develop their eggs they need to get some relief. Ice fishing has come a long way both in numbers of fishermen, equipment, and the internet. Thirty years ago unless if you stopped at a lake and walked out you had no clue guys were out there catching fish. Today guys are posting on Facebook as they haul them in. You got to admit the popularity of the sport has really grown. Can overfishing have an affect on a lake? Sure, but it depends on a number of variables. I realize it is difficult to micro manage individual lakes, but I would think better minds than ours could come up with a viable plan. Until then I guess we need to police ourselves the best we can. Sorry so long winded.  Lou

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:08 PM »
Crappie are too valuable a sport fish to be thrown into the 50 a day limit. There really should be more regulation (no I'm not a liberal lol) on the limit. Something more than panfish enhancement. I personally would much rather be catching 16 inch crappies than trout, and I'd pay for it too.

They're a fun fighting, excellent eating fish. And when they're taken out by the bucket, they can't attain that size/population, even in lakes with ideal biomass. Just my opinion. I know a handful of lakes where I can catch a lot of crappie, and have a good shot at catching 3lb+ slabs. And that's nice to be able to have spots like that.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:00 AM »
Too Bad the Fish Commission
Would read some of these POST...

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I think all non gas powered (trolling motor only lakes) should be 20 due to size of these lakes or ponds
gas powered tend to be bigger then can be monitored a different way just my 2 cents

Offline Lawrence88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Hogs are needed to control stunting plain and simple. Sometimes they go overboard yes. A 6 acre pond shouldnt have a 50 fish limit, but I dont foresee the commish  micro managing a game land pond. Personally I think those hogs did that pond a favor, if they caught that many

True - some places need more harvest.  But you could do that with a lower limit statewide and then well-advertised exceptions for certain lakes.    "Calling All Fish Hogs!"  :tipup:
"Gol-dang! If thet ain't about the worst ice-fishin' hole Ah ever seed! Looks like a giant funnel!"  

-   Rancid Crabtree

Offline dbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Agreed, 50 is too many....

Offline StCroice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Another option that I thought was pretty good was if anybody has fished Ontario they sell 2 different options for a fishing license.  There is a conservation license and if you elect for that one essentially your limit you can keep for all species is half of what the standard license holder can.  That said if you don't purchase the conservation license you pay a good bit more $ for your license.

Offline mschutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:20 PM »
A limit of 20 panfish is plenty for anyone.  We can blame the Fish Commission for the lack of fish and the Game Commission for the lack of game, but the truth is it's the abundance of greed that's the problem.  Who needs 50 fish at one time?  There are those who go day after day during the spawn and will stay until dark to get number 50.  They are first to complain the fishing is going down hill after they have continually taken the biggest breeders out of the system.  Also, there are those who brag they filled 3 doe tags.  Three doe, plus maybe another 6 young born in the spring, that's another 9 deer that could have been running around next season.  And we blame the Game Commission?  Yes, maybe for the abundance of tags, but do they need all that meat or is hunting somehow confused with the number of animals one can kill?  There would be enough for everyone if we only could police ourselves.
Or we can stop buying a hunting license and put the ****censored word****ers out of business! It is a damn shame what the game commission did to the people's deer herd.   This is why I don't hunt anymore because I am not going to give my $$$ to the corrupt!  But you are right we the people are as guilty as the state.

Offline mschutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Another option that I thought was pretty good was if anybody has fished Ontario they sell 2 different options for a fishing license.  There is a conservation license and if you elect for that one essentially your limit you can keep for all species is half of what the standard license holder can.  That said if you don't purchase the conservation license you pay a good bit more $ for your license.

Yes.  That is a good idea and it works.  I fished Ontario many times, and the fishing is good. The only time I keep fish is when it's badly hooked or ice fishing for panfish, and I don't take many.  Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will not put into policy anything like this because all they care about is $$$.  Unless we the fisherman force them to change their ways.

Offline Meatyball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Lets just blame Trump when we can't catch big ones and be done with it :roflmao:

Chute82

« Reply #53 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Lets just blame Trump when we can't catch big ones and be done with it :roflmao:

But if we were catching bigger fish this year the Dems would claim it’s because of 8 years of Obama..lol

Offline mike r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:11 PM »
And then there are guys like me that may only get out once or twice due to work. A 50 fish limit for me is good cuz I can have fish to eat and fish in the freezer for when I can't get out .
                                 i agree 100 percent i to only get out a few times due to work and will keep 30 or 40 just to stock the freezer but i do agree that doing it everyday is way to much

Offline Oneflagdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:28 PM »
I do agree it is hard for the working guy to get out so for this we do keep 50 fish if I were to get into them good . I might get out once or twice a year when on over time . I have been fortunate to be working by a lake and some days have the chance to fish for an hour or two. So I don't see a problem with taking a limit of 50 once or twice a year . And I have no problem sitting cleaning them . And as for the deer hunting most guys that don't see deer don't even get out of there vehicle to go find them or go sit 20 yards off the road . And there the first to complain !! This is just my opinion.

Offline smally hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:32 PM »
I suppose I should add to my winter stocking comment . I have no issue taking a limit of perch or gils from Erie.  I can't say the same about inland waters exception being pymatuning.  Gils are often overlooked there so I have no issues keeping them from there. Generally I tend to try and target crappie where ever I fish .. and depending on the lake determines how I choose to keep them.    Generally though at most I'll keep 10-15 fish . I'll catch and release more than I'll keep

Offline Hefe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:41 PM »

That works if we knew it was overpopulated or that there is low fishing pressure there - but we don't. Plus the fact that I doubt they actually threw any back which means they were to get their limit and leave.  Life is more about common sense than anything else and just because a limit exists doesn't mean you have to meet it. I haven't kept a fish in over 4 years and that was a mistake.  It was 4 trout that my two daughters caught.  Hated the taste - due to the trout chow from the hatchery that the trout ate. Like many others on here, I enjoy the sport of fishing and being out in nature. What's screwed up is we pay for trout stamp and a fishing license to pay for other people taking out the fish.  Perhaps I should be able to get a Catch and Release license that is $5 and that is it...why should I subsidize other people's fishing of catch and take but that is a different topic. It's just being courteous to not max out limits just because they exist.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Pa. should consider something other than it's panfish enhancement program at certain lakes. I've done most of my fishing in nearby South Jersey so far this season and have caught some very healthy crappie and yellow perch. Lots of slab gills too. New Jersey has a 10", 10 fish limit on crappies and a 50 fish combined limit on all other common panfish. As big as they come over there, I have no problem with that. I suspect that the limits might be the reason why. Those Pa. meat hunter types take any size they get in a lot of cases. I know all about that, I lived in Pa. for 61 years. Did a whole lotta fishing there too. 
ttt

Chute82

« Reply #59 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Pa. should consider something other than it's panfish enhancement program at certain lakes. I've done most of my fishing in nearby South Jersey so far this season and have caught some very healthy crappie and yellow perch. Lots of slab gills too. New Jersey has a 10", 10 fish limit on crappies and a 50 fish combined limit on all other common panfish. As big as they come over there, I have no problem with that. I suspect that the limits might be the reason why. Those Pa. meat hunter types take any size they get in a lot of cases. I know all about that, I lived in Pa. for 61 years. Did a whole lotta fishing there too.

Yeah fish hogs don’t exist in Jersey..please...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.