Author Topic: Best spring bobber?  (Read 4476 times)

Offline blackbird86

• IceShanty Rookie
Best spring bobber?
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Ive got a wicked ice medium combo with 6 lb test on it. Missed a few bites last week due to not having a spring bobber. Whats the best spring bobber?

Also, my line was getting a lot of ice stuck to it. Would newer line lessen this?

Thanks in advance

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Best spring bobber?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:53 PM »
the 2 best are the frabill titanium and the diy st. Croix springs.frabill is  better because it removable and can go on different rods.jmo

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:55 PM »
The Rapala snap on ones are very good but a close second and way cheaper and easier are the long large orange eye rubber clip on are good. Best option is a tickle stick

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 05:12 AM »
2x: the frabill titanium... Adjustable too based on jig/pin min weight
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:34 AM »
To go along with this subject, I have spring bobbers that clip on but they can be a pain because the loop is so small on the end. Could I cut this loop just enough to allow my line to go through the cut into the loop without having to take my lure of the line and still maintain it's performance?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:19 AM »
2x: the frabill titanium... Adjustable too based on jig/pin min weight

best there is!

large loop for the jig to pass and help with freeze ups. fully retractable for spoons and storing. can handle up to a 5 mm tungsten, but just barely. easy to transfer from pole to pole until your poles are set with them. they use a rubber mounting system that just pushes onto the the rod. one size is all they make. i could see one using two for larger sizes. just put one behind the other if you wanted to.

i just tried rapala ul (2 for 10$) and they are junk big time! they kink and are way too soft and can't handle any weight well.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:30 AM »
best there is!

large loop for the jig to pass and help with freeze ups. fully retractable for spoons and storing. can handle up to a 5 mm tungsten, but just barely. easy to transfer from pole to pole until your poles are set with them. they use a rubber mounting system that just pushes onto the the rod. one size is all they make. i could see one using two for larger sizes. just put one behind the other if you wanted to.

Pretty much this exactly. Only spring bobber I'd purchase at the moment.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:42 AM »
I agree on the Frabill. If I were wanting to permanently attach a spring bobber to a rod, I would go with Ice Strong.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I tried to use the rapala titaniums they  are to light for a 3mm jig even.folds them right over..

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:56 PM »
I like these. But I used electrical tape to hold them on.
http://actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html
jbird68

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:39 AM »
what ever you go with, buy the one with the biggest eye they get froze shut quite often. sometimes when purchasing a rod, i look for the eye size one the last one. i see no reason on an ice rod to have a needle hole on the end. Now since using a fish finder, i seldom use s b any more, as i know about when the hit should happen, but must say last night, it was a very light bite, and fairly windy so one could have helped

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 12:39 PM »
marmooska is cheap and pretty decent. Snap on style. or just buy an ht ice blues rod (only $8.99) and you dont even need a spring bobber!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.