Author Topic: Eskimo HC-40 Propane auger ISSUES  (Read 4788 times)

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
Eskimo HC-40 Propane auger ISSUES
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Hello everyone, hoping someone can point me in the right direction, my propane auger isn't working.  It fires up and runs in idle, but the moment I breathe on the throttle it shuts down! Please help I don't want to keep drilling manual holes!

Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo HC-40 Propane auger ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 02:18 PM »
I would call Eskimo and see what they say. Maybe an easy fix.
<===Lefty===

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Try a new full bottle of fuel.
Or if it is cold, like 0°F or colder, those 1lb bottles don't deliver fuel well enough to run combustible engines. At least that was my (and others) experience with a jiffy propane. 10°F and warmer it was fine and ran like a champ. Not sure on your temps though...
It must be something in the water.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Is it brand new, or is it a year or two old?  Did you store it in the off season upright and with oil in it?  I had a similar issue with my Jiffy Pro4 Lite before I got rid of it and got the HC40.  I had to take the carb apart and clean some residual oil that I think was in there from the manufacturer.  It had a tendancy to kill while I was drilling a hole or shortly afterwards, it seemed hesitant when I'd give it gas.  I then had problems starting my HC40 last year after I replaced the oil from the previous year.  It was really hard to pull the first time, like it was stuck.  I found out here, and confirmed with Eskimo, that even though their manual says you can store it upright for storing, you can't if there's oil in it, as it will get into the carb.  So now I drain the oil before storing it, then put new oil in at the beginning of the season. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Is it brand new, or is it a year or two old?  Did you store it in the off season upright and with oil in it?  I had a similar issue with my Jiffy Pro4 Lite before I got rid of it and got the HC40.  I had to take the carb apart and clean some residual oil that I think was in there from the manufacturer.  It had a tendancy to kill while I was drilling a hole or shortly afterwards, it seemed hesitant when I'd give it gas.  I then had problems starting my HC40 last year after I replaced the oil from the previous year.  It was really hard to pull the first time, like it was stuck.  I found out here, and confirmed with Eskimo, that even though their manual says you can store it upright for storing, you can't if there's oil in it, as it will get into the carb.  So now I drain the oil before storing it, then put new oil in at the beginning of the season.

ACK!  I've had mine stored upright since last year.  I guess I better get it out and make sure it runs OK.

Edit:  Just went and looked at the way I have it stored.  I kept it upright but slanted a bit so the carb is higher than the rest of it, so hopefully that prevented any problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.