New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fires on ice?  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
Re: Fires on ice?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Now that's an ICE FIRE!  @)

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I just heard from a buddy that is a state trooper the DEC is trying to pass a law to stop any fires on the ice. Like stated earlier it creates thin ice and a hazard for someone after you leave. He also said they are pushing towards no more cars and trucks on the ice for environmental impacts if they go through. No laws against it yet though.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Great. Another BS nannystate law from our overlords. Thanks for keeping everyone safe.  :blink:

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:46 PM »
They complain about cars and trucks on the ice I would never do that as YOU CANT FIX STUPID, but then they'll do snowmobiles then Atvs , but they don't ever do anything about Boats and PWCs polluting the water  ??? ???  :cookoo:
McPerch

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I just heard from a buddy that is a state trooper the DEC is trying to pass a law to stop any fires on the ice. Like stated earlier it creates thin ice and a hazard for someone after you leave. He also said they are pushing towards no more cars and trucks on the ice for environmental impacts if they go through. No laws against it yet though.

the old i have a  friend thats a trooper and the  dec wants to do this and that .... the  dec doesn't caare if you have a  fire    you can't melt a hole threw the ice  and   theres no more polution from a fire on the ice then one from shore bull head fishing  ..... cars and trucks cause no more polution on the ice as they do on the road .....  some times you all are funny ....do you all believe in bigfoot too????

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Trapper I BELIEVE  ;D :cookoo:
McPerch

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:28 PM »
They are concerned when a car goes through the ice....oil and gas pollution

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Yes but I see boats and Pwcs oil come out all the time also
McPerch

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:26 AM »
jigs  have  lead .... stop it  ..........buddy  just have  your  fire and  enjoy yourself  .... i'm sure  some  people would  complain about my camp fire   ....feww ashes  and  a  nail isn't  going to  hurt nothing

A nail? I hope that is sarcasm, but then again I saw a thread claiming music drives fish away, so ya never know!

If that nail finds its way in my machine’s tire, I’ll know where to send the flat fix it bill. Why don’t you bring the hobo tent and fingerless gloves with your barrel fire? Buy a heater and a shanty. It’s 2018.

With all that said, I have no problem with fires on the ice, just use a pit and you’re good. And regarding pallets, you probably shouldn’t be breathing that smoke in, anyway. But to each their own.

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2018, 01:39 PM »
99.9% of pallets are kiln dried , hard wood and NO dangerous chemicals  :whistle:
McPerch

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:06 PM »
A nail? I hope that is sarcasm, but then again I saw a thread claiming music drives fish away, so ya never know!

If that nail finds its way in my machine’s tire, I’ll know where to send the flat fix it bill. Why don’t you bring the hobo tent and fingerless gloves with your barrel fire? Buy a heater and a shanty. It’s 2018.

With all that said, I have no problem with fires on the ice, just use a pit and you’re good. And regarding pallets, you probably shouldn’t be breathing that smoke in, anyway. But to each their own.

well I was fishing out of a iceshanty with a heater in it   when your  grand daddy had a crush on his 9th grade  teacher and   about the nail in your  tire ....I'm just a  old fart but I'd suggest   ya  don't  ride threw where someone had a camp fire ....  and  as  far as  driving a  truck on the  ice the  dec  offers   advice  when it's safe to  do so ......now  wouldn't  it  be  more fun  to go fishing  and  talk about that  then  worrying about  some  ones camp fire  ;D

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:15 PM »
99.9% of pallets are kiln dried , hard wood and NO dangerous chemicals  :whistle:

Yes, when the pallets are new, they are hard wood with little to no chemicals, but who knows what has spilled on them when they are disposed of.  I have seen all sorts of drums with Hazardous chemicals resting on pallets and some of that nasty stuff always spills on them.  So those nice kiln dried wooden pallets could harbor some dangerous chemicals depending on where they came from. 

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Fishion-Mission yup your right didn't think about that part of it. Thanks for saying that  ,
McPerch

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:14 PM »
well I was fishing out of a iceshanty with a heater in it   when your  grand daddy had a crush on his 9th grade  teacher and   about the nail in your  tire ....I'm just a  old fart but I'd suggest   ya  don't  ride threw where someone had a camp fire ....  and  as  far as  driving a  truck on the  ice the  dec  offers   advice  when it's safe to  do so ......now  wouldn't  it  be  more fun  to go fishing  and  talk about that  then  worrying about  some  ones camp fire  ;D

Man, I figured you were old as dirt but I didn’t know you knew my granddaddy.

How am I supposed to see your nail filled fire pit with fresh snow on top of it?

I don’t mind the fire, was just making a point about the nails!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:36 PM »
not my nail ...not my fire and not my 4 wheeler.... now stop picking on old people and watch where you drive!

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Fire? Hell ya!!! Let's get about 50 pallets some Diesel fuel and Sync up half a dozen Boom Boxes and have a Fishing frenzy! I was out in the Garage painting some trim and 96.9 was cranking some good tunes and all the Minnows in my bucket were on top of the water? As soon as Delilah came on they sank to the bottom in a ball. Not that is listen to her but it was a good test ;D So to all you guys who like to play the tunes... Hell Ya .... crank it up!

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:30 PM »
 ;D that is awesome , lets all fish together  :icefish: :icefish: :bow: :clap: :roflmao:
McPerch

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:51 PM »
This for any Pennsylvania guy's who may read this thread and New York guy's that ice fish Pennsylvania too.
I was reading the new 2018 Pennsy fishing guide today , and called to clarify about open fires being illegal .
Both the main office in Harrisburg and the Northeast Region Fisheries law Enforcement Office informed me that it is absolutely illegal to have an open fire directly on the ice on any state lake , pond or river.

All fires on any state lake , river or pond while ice fishing must be in "a metal container" .Did not say metal container needed legs of any sort, just a metal container.

This regulation Also included state access locations on other lakes that are not completely state owned.

I asked about Lake Wallenpaupack,( the third largest lake in the entire state and owned by a power co. Brookfield Energy they told me), which I ice fish a lot....law enforcement told me that Brookfield has the same restriction on open fires while on the ice. Open fires are illegal there , all fires while ice fishing there must be in a metal container.

"Any violation of the Pa.Fish and Boating code or rules and regulations may be issued a citation and a hearing before district justice.
If you are convicted or plead guilty to a second violation of their laws or regulations within a 12 month period, you can be assessed an additional fine of $200.00 dollars.and can revoke your fishing or boating privileges.

In some cases you can get special state permission to have an open fire on state land , but that does not include on the ice, on ly on the land.

I guess You can have any kind of fire you want while ice fishing on  ponds and lakes that are completely private .

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:56 PM »
This for any Pennsylvania guy's who may read this thread and New York guy's that ice fish Pennsylvania too.
I was reading the new 2018 Pennsy fishing guide today , and called to clarify about open fires being illegal .
Both the main office in Harrisburg and the Northeast Region Fisheries law Enforcement Office informed me that it is absolutely illegal to have an open fire directly on the ice on any state lake , pond or river.

All fires on any state lake , river or pond while ice fishing must be in "a metal container" .Did not say metal container needed legs of any sort, just a metal container.

This regulation Also included state access locations on other lakes that are not completely state owned.

I asked about Lake Wallenpaupack,( the third largest lake in the entire state and owned by Brookfield Energy they told me), which I ice fish a lot....law enforcement told me that Brookfield has the same restriction on open fires while on the ice. Open fires are illegal , all fires while ice fishing must be in a metal container.

"Any violation of the Pa.Fish and Boating code or rules and regulations may be issued a citation and a hearing before district justice.
If you are convicted or plead guilty to a second violation of their laws or regulations within a 12 month period, you can be assessed an additional fine of $200.00 dollars.and can revoke your fishing or boating privileges.

In some cases you can get special state permission to have an open fire on state land , but that does not include on the ice, on ly on the land.

I guess You can have any kind of fire you want while ice fishing on  ponds and lakes that are completely private .
told ya guys we just gotta wheel an old aluminum tire rimout there, honda size! it'd work great just dump a bucket of water or 2 and bring it back in when ur done, the heaviest part is getting the wood out there!!
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline moose60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Back in the 70's on Champlain we put 3-4 green logs down,foil,then firewood slowed ice melt a lot.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:35 PM »

Back in the 70's on Champlain we put 3-4 green logs down,foil,then firewood slowed ice melt a lot.
:thumbsup: :icefish:
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Oh boy i c this thread getting violant and locked u guys need to get your panties out of a know and go sit on a pile ice ...

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:25 PM »
proof that fires on the ice  do not melt anything

if the 3 of us didn't go threw your safe  ;D

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:48 AM »
LOL..
.try that on early and late ice when the lake only has 4 inches and there was a big , long duration fire and you might have your foot go through.

Hope you guy's cleaned up that mess that someone left....all that wood will be floating come ice out...would hate to see someone hit that floating firewood with their boat.

Metal container law for fires on the ice might be a good idea for NY State too.  New Generation ice fisherman can't clean up after themselves, leaving behind propane bottles, coffee cups, lure packages, soda cups etc.,and they sure are not going to clean up and carry back to their vehicles half burnt fire wood!.... leaving hazards for snowmobiles in winter and boaters come spring.
 Great picture !Thanks for posting it trap. :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:16 AM »
They are great for night fishing where legal.  Just don’t have it in your hut  :wacko:

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:17 AM »
proof that fires on the ice  do not melt anything

if the 3 of us didn't go threw your safe  ;D

Where's the fire?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Coo coo was only 5 inches to begin with it is basic physics wood fire will not get hot enough to burn a hole threw the ice.        Wheres the fire well we couldnt stand in the spot if the fire was going now could we

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Kindda hard to pick up all that wood was frozen into the ice and @$$ wipes that made it should a taken care of it.....

Offline Mack2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:18 AM »
the old i have a  friend thats a trooper and the  dec wants to do this and that .... the  dec doesn't caare if you have a  fire    you can't melt a hole threw the ice  and   theres no more polution from a fire on the ice then one from shore bull head fishing  ..... cars and trucks cause no more polution on the ice as they do on the road .....  some times you all are funny ....do you all believe in bigfoot too????

I think the environmental impact being discussed here would be in the event of the vehicle going through the ice, oil and gas and I'm sure a slew of other extremely toxic chemicals being spilled into the water. Whether or not this is or isn't a good idea or is an over reach is nether hear nor there, I'm was just pointing out the "environmental impact" that's being discussed.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I dont think we need laws on a camp fire besides God throws wood in the lake ever windstorm ....did i clean it up ...nope its wood not trash however it is on otisco lake north of the narrows if anyone wants too.... As farcas cars people been driving cars on the ice for years no big deal the state even gives you a safe ice chart for driving a car on the ice i dont think we have ever experanced a major enviromental disaster. From a car going threw the ice to warrent new laws and tax dollars to enforce them ..... And by the way i never have had a fire on the ice or drove my car on it.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.