New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fires on ice?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fires on ice?
« on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Are fires allowed on the ice? Looking to have a night time outing with a wood fire. Just wondering if it breaks any laws?

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fires on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:36 PM »
I've always done it.  It's usually a great time.  Don't believe there is any law against it.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Wont break the law but mite break the ice...on a serious note i believe u can as ling as its in like a grill or something...just make sure u take your debrees home with you...wich im sure you would do...

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:35 PM »
Yeah bring home your debrees home with you ....and clean up the ashes !

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Get a hold of me I'm game , fishing,coffee, blackberry brandy , venison, YUP I'M IN ,! :thumbsup: :icefish:
McPerch

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2018, 05:13 AM »
unless there is local restrictions i think your good to go ....and i think the ashes are biodegradable.....

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:28 AM »
unless there is local restrictions i think your good to go ....and i think the ashes are biodegradable.....

Trapper hit it on the head. It's all dependent on local ordinances. If they have laws against "open fires" you can't do it. But if a cop wanders out onto the ice to ticket you for an open fire, he was gonna ticket you for something anyway because that's just absurd. The odd thing about ashes is that technically they are a regulated solid waste under the NYSDEC laws. Only ashes that are from "unadulterated wood combustion" can be dispersed on that land, and even then it's technically classified as a soil amendment. The concern isn't with wood ash, which doesn't decompose (nothing left to decompose after combustion) but blends into the soil. The concern is with what else was burned. Food wrappers, paint residue, tin cans. all these things can contain heavy metals which then leach into the soil or water.

So if you're having a fire on the ice: 1 - check local laws against open fire. 2 - Don't move firewood (read up on the DEC regs there, I recommend burning pallets as they are untreated wood, and kiln dried so there is no risk for invasive species). 3 - Don't burn your garbage.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I don't see a problem with ashes.  Just make sure you don't leave any big sticks or logs laying there that could become a hazard when they get covered with new snow.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Pallets have nails, no good.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:54 AM »
jigs  have  lead .... stop it  ..........buddy  just have  your  fire and  enjoy yourself  .... i'm sure  some  people would  complain about my camp fire   ....feww ashes  and  a  nail isn't  going to  hurt nothing

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I would do the same Trapper, just do it.

Offline mraw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I bring a small grill that we use for the fire. Ashes are contained and easy to take back with you.

Offline Jim S NY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:41 PM »
I would think that pallets would be a bad idea as they have tons of nails in them. That would suck for tire and muck boots

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:06 PM »
No holes in boots or tires on the ice,
    I think we need to do it especially Black Berry Brandy
McPerch

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Fires directly on the ice will melt inches of the ice and leave a large diameter weakened ice area , that can become a hazard especially early or late ice season.
Legal or not, I don't like to see fires directly on the ice for that reason.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:15 PM »
From experience a fire won’t melt more then 2-3 inches of ice usually.

Offline jschmitt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:32 PM »
3 ft diameter fire for 3 hrs the other day on my pond melted  1/4 inch of ice. Heat rises boys and girls.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:40 PM »
55 gallon drum on a buddies pond growing up. We had fires all the time barrel would wind maybe 3 inches after 5-6 hours  of a fire
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:48 PM »
A little gas never hurt anyone  ;)

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:59 PM »
an old aluminum rim is the perfect firepit. it cools down quick and isnt all that heavy to carry.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline MikeSJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:20 AM »
3 ft diameter fire for 3 hrs the other day on my pond melted  1/4 inch of ice. Heat rises boys and girls.

I've had lots of fires on the ice in the past.  No problems.  That being said I would check local regs on  open fires

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:05 AM »
My kids always like having fires when we fish.
Dad Pro-tip: A fire on the lake can occupy a kid for hours. Leaving me my favorite rod and flasher.
Especially when you don't allow them to use a lighter.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:06 AM »
From experience a fire won’t melt more then 2-3 inches of ice usually.
I've burnt fires all day and melted over 6 inches of ice and weakened a good sized area ,.....even melting 2 to 3 inches of ice like you said, when you only are standing on 4 or 5 inches leaves you 2 or 3, certainly a weak spot on a lake that has 4 or 5 inches. Messy too.That is the reason I said especially early or late ice season.

Well I guess it depends on the size of the fire and how hot it is burning(type of wood and size of chunks) and how long it is burning.
Heat rises I agree,,,, but heat weakens and melts ice too.....even from the top down

Small fires for a few hours won't do much damage, but a large fire all day will melt and weaken the ice.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:20 AM »
My kids and I had a fire burning on 4" of ice a couple weeks back. They had it ripping all day long.
I did specifically make my kids have it right next to shore over less than 2 fow over a known sandbar. Just to be cautious.
We cleared our mess before we left and spudded through the ice in the middle of where the fire was. The boys were curious. I got the spud out to show them that we lost less than an inch of ice. We had bets going about how much ice we lost. I really wish I thought to bet a couple shoveling jobs.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:28 AM »
My kids and I had a fire burning on 4" of ice a couple weeks back. They had it ripping all day long.
I did specifically make my kids have it right next to shore over less than 2 fow over a known sandbar. Just to be cautious.
We cleared our mess before we left and spudded through the ice in the middle of where the fire was. The boys were curious. I got the spud out to show them that we lost less than an inch of ice. We had bets going about how much ice we lost. I really wish I thought to bet a couple shoveling jobs.  ;D
  a weak spot , but not to bad.
When I was younger , we always had a fire. It was usually the first thing we did while setting up. We used to have the fire close to shore which made for a shorter walk with the wood which we gathered from the woods.I could see where it would be a fun thing for kids to do during a ice fishing day....I did it all the time ! I remember the fires would burn so hot it would be melting the ice, sizzling, and putt ing the fire out, so we would make the fire bigger and bigger as it melted down in. Fun Times....I do miss those days .....and fires !

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:45 AM »
the reason you  cant't  melt  a  hole threw  is  because  the  ice  around  the area  and  the  water below  is  so  cold  it  keeps the  ice  frozen .... it's the  same  with a  water  bootle  filled with water   you  can boil water in a  plastic  bottle and  not melt the bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLa9mxrrrsc

ya might leave some ashes  but your not going to damage the ice

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2018, 07:57 AM »
I use to make fires on the ice but that was before I got my flip over and a buddy heater
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03:32 PM »
too busy fishing to make a fire. if you ain't catching keep moving.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:07 PM »
too busy fishing to make a fire. if you ain't catching keep moving.

unless all ur looking to catch is a good buzz, then follow that orange glow!! :thumbsup: :woot:
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:13 PM »

I’d love to be too busy to build a fire.     Tell me where you are fishing.  In down time always get the fire ripping
-matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.