Author Topic: Eskimo 949i vs Otter XTH Pro Lodge?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo 949i vs Otter XTH Pro Lodge?
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:07 AM »
I was all set to go with the 949i, but I procrastinated and now I can’t find one. I have a couple of weeks before I will need the hub (usually fish out of my flip-over, but need a hub for a family trip). I have experience with Eskimo hubs, and I’ve been very happy with the warmth/quality/durability. How does the Otter compare?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo 949i vs Otter XTH Pro Lodge?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I looked at both and also the Jason Mitchell 4000T, and it felt that the Eskimo was on the low end side of the three. Now they are all very comparable in terms of size, but the Otter Pro just felt the most finished to me. The Jason Mitchell was about just as nice but I was able to get the Otter for $275 and that was only $25 more than what the Eskimo was selling at the time. The JM was $299 when I bought so the otter won hands down for me.

If you can however get the Eskimo for sub $200 (as I believe there are times that happens) it would be a nice shelter. I think the Otter is just a notch nicer and when they are comparably priced it seems like a no-brainer.

From my opinion there is very little that you wouldn't like about the Otter. The glove and hat nets, the rod holders with nice sized pockets, the opening for a gas hose, the nice straps and 8 ice anchors, the 2 and 2 differently placed windows, it is a well done shelter. One thing that they, and other members here mentioned, they struggle somewhat with is the zippers at the door don't always align perfectly. In fact I was going to take some photos this weekend of my and see if Otter has any explanation why the bottom zipper seems to run in waves. It zips fine, but looks like it was stitched in without maintaining a straight line.......my old nordic legends keeps a straight line perfectly......but I am not sure. As far as that compared to the Eskimo or JM I never inspected that part in the store but might check it out next time I get somewhere where they have all of the hubs on display.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:37 AM »
There were significant improvements to the new XTH Pro line, I posted some of my impressions on here.  If you received a properly manufactured Otter (they seem to be having some quality control issues), then there's no better hub shanty on the market.  Marine General had the best price I could find, I just ordered a XTH Lodge for a buddy this week and it was $300 after shipping.  Shipping took 2 days, it should be here today.

They're both good companies, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.  I just personally would lean towards the new XTH Pro Otters.  Good luck!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Yes, specifically looking for the 949i (insulated), but thanks anayway!

The lodge is now sold out at Marine General…..you might have got the last one.

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I have 949i and love it. No issues what so ever. Did you check Reeds? Usually good prices

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Reeds doesn’t have the 949i (my first choice), but they do have the Clam Refuge on sale for $300. I don’t know anything about the Clam yet, but it looks like a nice hub. Found the Otter Lodge at a couple of places online, but I’m trying to stay under $300 shipped. I’ve Emailed Eskimo about future availability.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:52 AM »
  Good prices, but those aren't insulated.  Just fyi.

Which actually makes them pretty pricey considering the Otter Pro lodge can go for $279ish

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:55 PM »
How many are you planning to fish in the hub?  I have the original 949 and it fishes 2 people great, me and my 2 kids in there is ok/do able, and when the whole family goes (4 of us) it is cramped not much fun.  I'm getting the Otter Pro XTH Resort for the family trips this year.  They had one set up at the local sporting good store and didn't mind me dragging in chairs a big buddy an other gear to see what it would be like in there when we set up on the lake, it fits the bill for us.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:00 PM »
I have the 949i and love it. 3 rd season with it. No problems or complaints. I went Eskimo because of the amount, size, and location of the windows. Can seem out sitting in a chair.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.