The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian lake?  (Read 5621 times)

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
Caspian lake?
« on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:10 AM »
My cousin recently bought a house in hardwick and I was hopingn to go stay with him one weekend for house warming / ice fishing fun. He’s only a short drive from lake caspian and I’ve always heard good things about it. Not looking for anyone’s super secrets. Just an idea of where it’s best to park and possibly a good area to fish. Not real picky about species but would love to catch some fish in a new place. Any info would be great as I see from the depth chart it varies quite a bit throughout the lake. Thanks in advance and right lines!!!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Caspian lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Parking is at the southeast corner of the lake at the the town launch at the end of 'Beach Road'. It's a bit of a walk from there but you get used to it. I've heard of people parking at other spots and walking on, but haven't tried. I've actually never caught perch there, but have gotten lakers and smelt a plenty. As I'm sure others will say, look for shallower flats (30-50') next to drop offs to deeper parts. If you search previous posts, I'm sure you will also find more specific spots, but what applies elsewhere also works here (fishing near inlets, underwater humps, etc). I had the best luck with lakers last year around 40', but I think that is a bit shallower than most people get them. Perch or shiner colored swimshads worked best, but sometimes if they aren't biting you have to downsize to a tungsten jig or small hali with a spike. You can also find plenty of laker techniques on here as well (that's how I learned!). A flasher helps immensely, but using the same techniques without it should work too. Have fun!

Offline Shawndale1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:58 PM »
My cousin recently bought a house in hardwick and I was hopingn to go stay with him one weekend for house warming / ice fishing fun. He’s only a short drive from lake caspian and I’ve always heard good things about it. Not looking for anyone’s super secrets. Just an idea of where it’s best to park and possibly a good area to fish. Not real picky about species but would love to catch some fish in a new place. Any info would be great as I see from the depth chart it varies quite a bit throughout the lake. Thanks in advance and right lines!!!

Caspian has always been hit or miss for me with lakers. I’ve always done well fishing in shallow water for rainbows. I typically set up my tip ups in about 3-4’ of water (right next to shore) and use a night crawler or minnow just under the ice. Make sure you fill your hole back in with snow as I’ve found rainbows to be light sensitive. I usually run my string of tip ups right down a bank. I actually caught a huge perch there fishing this way for rainbows and it was only like half an oz from being the new state record so there’s some giant perch in there if you can find them. Good luck to you.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I like to run a few tipups close to shore for rainbows, too, but have never connected with any.  Last year on Caspian, one of our "rainbow" tipups in ~3' of water was on fire for lakers!  No keepers, but we caught several lakers from that hole.  Also caught my personal best perch a few years ago but that is the only perch we've ever caught there .... 15-3/8" long. 

As for depth, I would say most of our lakers have been caught on shiners right on bottom in the 20-40' range.  We do some jigging, as well, and white bucktails or swimbaits seem to be the ticket.  We've also caught some on spoons tipped with a chunk of minnow.

Good luck!  Can't wait to head back up there.

Offline glawson09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I have had the best luck in 80-90 fow with dead bait, 2 years ago I landed a 15 pound laker. Dead bait smelt or large shinners 6”-12” off the bottom. The only issue I had there was at least twice a day if I was fishing less then 60’ the fish would rap up around logs and I would lose 50’ of line. 20”-27” fish are pretty common.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I need to fish up there once this winter. It was my goal for last winter, but it didn't happen.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Caspian rainbows - aw crayfish you will set up more tipups in tight to shore after eating your first Caspian rainbow.
I can almost taste one now...

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Yes, the Caspian rainbows are very tasty, haven't latched onto one in a few years but maybe this year.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Lakers can be found everywhere on that lake. Sight fishing in 20 feet of water is lots of fun there. I caught a 40" laker last year in 15 feet of water on opening day. Threw it back to grow bigger! Had one on earlier that day that was easily as heavy.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Wow !! definitely didn’t expect so much great info. Thanks a ton guys for the intel. This weekend doesn’t look great but hopefully get up there next weekend and give it a go. Thanks again everyone. How much ice is there?? I assume plenty as we have a foot down my way. I’ll post when I go up and let you know how it went.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Caspian rainbows - aw crayfish you will set up more tipups in tight to shore after eating your first Caspian rainbow.
I can almost taste one now...
  Good to know!  I always run a few in close and usually get a few flags off them, but have yet to connect with anything but lakers.  I've tried crawlers and fatheads on those tipups ... any other baits I should try?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:10 PM »
Wow !! definitely didn’t expect so much great info. Thanks a ton guys for the intel. This weekend doesn’t look great but hopefully get up there next weekend and give it a go. Thanks again everyone. How much ice is there?? I assume plenty as we have a foot down my way. I’ll post when I go up and let you know how it went.
  Don't head up there just yet .... that's closed trout waters until Jan 20th!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:14 PM »
  Don't head up there just yet .... that's closed trout waters until Jan 20th!
Thank you. Is it pretty busy for opening or no too bad ?

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:22 PM »
It'll be busy, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some room to setup.  If people can/are driving on, it will be even busier.  It's the closest NEK trout lake to the Champlain Valley so it gets lots of pressure.

BTW ... Perchbait and I watched JMailbox8 pull that 40"er out of the hole.  What a monster that was!  Like he said, he was jigging in 15' of water but he didn't tell you he caught it on a handline!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Nice!! That’s a true trophy and what a way to catch it. Congrats!!  Hope to run into one of i guys when I’m up there

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I have heard the secret to caspian rainbows is to setup tipups shallow, really early, and with very light line and hooks, just below the ice. Either use a small minnow or crawler. They tend to snatch the bait and run, so you gotta be quick to get to your traps, lest they spool you and snap your line.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Yep weatherman, one quick suggestion: Careful withh your auger, NEK lakes are rocky in tight and hitting a rock will ruin
your day - auger. I cut with auger an then finish with a spud. Another reason to never forget your spud..

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Made my first trip out there last year. Lake shut right off at like 8:30 for us. Managed to ice one keeper laker though.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Yep weatherman, one quick suggestion: Careful withh your auger, NEK lakes are rocky in tight and hitting a rock will ruin
your day - auger. I cut with auger an then finish with a spud. Another reason to never forget your spud..

Good point!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Thank you. Is it pretty busy for opening or no too bad ?

On opening day its called the "Caspian Circus".

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:59 AM »
First trip to Caspian opening day 1986 perhaps...My buddy took me up there an taking the back road
from Hardwick over the hills. As we crested the hill, my buddy said check it out and looking left
I could see what looked like the Champlain Valley fairground parking lot - almost...:)    :tipup:

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:55 AM »
The ice will be good to go with my snowmobile at the end January?

Thanks
David Vadnais

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Yep just follow the road onto the ice that goes off the beach area.
The access can get rough I suggest walking it before your ride/drive on.

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Yep just follow the road onto the ice that goes off the beach area.
The access can get rough I suggest walking it before your ride/drive on.
[/quote

Thank you TRT maybe I will be there the 20th . 😉]
David Vadnais

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Thanks again guys. I’m almost always on foot. If not just a 4 wheeler. If I don’t get up there next weekend good luck to everyone on the opener. So far looks like a warm forecast. I’m sure it’ll change ten times before then tho!!  Let me know how u do!

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Thanks again guys. I’m almost always on foot. If not just a 4 wheeler. If I don’t get up there next weekend good luck to everyone on the opener. So far looks like a warm forecast. I’m sure it’ll change ten times before then tho!!  Let me know how u do!

Thanks EyEriplip,

I hope to catch my first laker on Caspian next week end. Good luck to you.
David Vadnais

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Hi guys,

I search in Vermont regulation.
I don't find!
How many lines on Caspian lake?
David Vadnais

Offline RED NEK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Know more then 8 lines

Offline David Vadnais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My passion?ICE FISHING
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Know more then 8 lines

Good!
Thanks RED NEK 😉
David Vadnais

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Anyone been by Caspian recently?  Just wondering how much snow is on the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.