The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Out of state atv  (Read 1607 times)

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out of state atv
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Hey guys I can’t believe I have to post this here, but I struggle to identify vt rules and regs (I find the vermont fish and wildlife website to be way less than user friendly)

My atv is registered (NY) and insured i want to verify I can take it out on vermont lakes with no additional paper work in vt

Any help would be appreciated
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Out of state atv
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 07:57 AM »
unfortunialty VT doesn't reciprocate with NY (or any other state) you will want to register with VT. The F+G website should tell you that, but it doesn't list those rules, you have to  look at the DMV one. Also if you plan to use a snow machine insurance is required too. Welcome to VT where every thing is taxed and wages are Low.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:17 AM »
According to vt dmv they do honor out of state registrations. I’m just looking to verify I don’t need the vasa or vast stickers

I would never take a sled out on a vt lake without a vasa sticker. I don’t see that going over well even though I don’t see how a lake could be considered part of the trail system.
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:39 AM »
I thought a lake/pond was a public waterway. Therefore you are good to go as long as it’s registered in your state. I could be wrong
Jig em up!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:05 AM »
We have this discussion yearly. Folks in the Waterbury offices have said you are good to go with out of state registration. I have talked to a game warden in Newport that said Vt. nonresident registration is needed. I listened to the warden considering he is the one giving out the tickets.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:21 AM »
Been running wheelers on the ice for years and often fish with people from both Canada and neighboring states. Never saw any issue with out of state plates on a wheeler when checked by a warden. Out of state trucks are allowed on Vt roads without a VT sticker, same with boats on Lake Champlain. I would assume ATV's are the same.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:32 PM »
You should proably report your area Warden to his commanding officer and let him know he is enforcing laws that are not laws.

3502. Registration:
(e) An all-terrain vehicle owned by a person who is a resident of any other state or province shall be deemed to be properly registered for the purposes of this chapter if it is registered in accordance with the laws of the state or province in which its owner resides.

Vt also does not have a trail sticker requirement for ATV's just need to be registered in your state according to your states laws.

We have this discussion yearly. Folks in the Waterbury offices have said you are good to go with out of state registration. I have talked to a game warden in Newport that said Vt. nonresident registration is needed. I listened to the warden considering he is the one giving out the tickets.
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Smelty88 is correct

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Are snowmobile registrations a different story? Not that it applies to me.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I called and was told by Mr. Hall that I can take my wheeler out on any ice in Vermont you just have to have your wheeler registered in the state you reside in. 

Offline budski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • thumbersault
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:49 AM »
I called and was told by Mr. Hall that I can take my wheeler out on any ice in Vermont you just have to have your wheeler registered in the state you reside in.
this is true I took a lot of time last year on this even contacted vast  on the ice no problem but stay of the trails.
flags all day

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:04 PM »
you do not have to register in vermont as long as you are registred and insured in your home state but you are limmited to just the lakes no trails @) @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.