Author Topic: 13 Descent in line reel  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
13 Descent in line reel
« on: Dec 07, 2019, 03:11 PM »
After bad experiences with two other brands of in line reels. And swearing that I would never own another I found myself looking at one today. So, I was wondering if anyone has some on ice experience with THIS particular reel.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 13 Descent in line reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Following this, interested in getting one as well

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2019, 06:32 PM »
They are about the same as the other inlines in their price range.
If you clean them up and add a thin washer under the drag wheel and a small o-ring between the handle and the drag they work ok. I only fish for panfish so I don't have the drag set very tight.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2019, 08:20 PM »
They are about the same as the other inlines in their price range.
If you clean them up and add a thin washer under the drag wheel and a small o-ring between the handle and the drag they work ok. I only fish for panfish so I don't have the drag set very tight.

Interesting! I primarily fish for panfish as well.  Have you found one particular reel that you like more than the others?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2019, 01:00 PM »
I have this real and I don't find it any better than the eagle claw that I've had for a few years. My problem with the eagle claw is that the line will fall off the side of the spool at times.
jbird68

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I have this real and I don't find it any better than the eagle claw that I've had for a few years. My problem with the eagle claw is that the line will fall off the side of the spool at times.

When it comes to inline reels, isn't the problem of line falling off pretty much the "nature of the beast" ? Is the drag on your Eagle Claw smooth?

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Try this. A blast to fish.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:18 AM »
When it comes to inline reels, isn't the problem of line falling off pretty much the "nature of the beast" ? Is the drag on your Eagle Claw smooth?
Put less line on the reel.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2019, 09:16 AM »
I've been real happy with mine.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Interesting! I primarily fish for panfish as well.  Have you found one particular reel that you like more than the others?
descent, black Betty, 13 fishing. I have three BB-6160 reels nearly three times the price of the decent, but that is what I like.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2019, 03:56 PM »

Usually there is a drag setting to help with that... I'm with UncleGillHunter.. I like the 6061s....

Offline diesel doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2019, 04:07 PM »
There is a drop rate adjustment knob on the side of the reel, same side as the handle.  As you change jig weight you will have to adjust the drop rate to ensure you don't free wheel after the jig hits bottom.  I love these reels!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Funny!

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2019, 03:32 AM »
There is a drop rate adjustment knob on the side of the reel, same side as the handle.  As you change jig weight you will have to adjust the drop rate to ensure you don't free wheel after the jig hits bottom.  I love these reels!

After looking at my reel a little closer  I found the drop rate adjustment is just a little rubber pin that runs against the side of the spool. You turn the little knob to adjust how far the pin sticks out. At least on my eagle claw reel.
jbird68

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2019, 10:04 AM »
I don't use the drop rate adjustment knob I watch my locator to see when I'm close to the bottom.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I own two of them and I actually like them a lot.  I just mainly panfish but I fought some nicer size 'surprise' fish with them.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:36 AM »
A kind of been looking at these just accidentally found out that Santa is bringing me a new widow maker. Needed a new reel to go with. So after kicking it around think I am just going to get another 6061. Will be my fourth.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.