Author Topic: Catching trout on tip ups  (Read 13946 times)

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
Catching trout on tip ups
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Just looking to see what people use for bait on tip ups to catch trout?  Also what type of hook is best and how to rig them?  There are some small lakes around with stocked trout I would like to try and catch this winter, but have no experience with them.  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks,
Steve

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Catching trout on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:08 PM »
My default deadstick/tip-up rig for large trout is:

Eagle Claw L181 Baitholder hook, size 4
Most of a night crawler, with the end pinched off
One kernel of Del Monte canned corn
A squirt of Glow Lunker Lotion
All hanging 3 feet below a copper Kastmaster on 6lb. Lo-Vis Stren Original

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=344643.msg3691689#msg3691689

My buddy swears by a tiny hook (like 10-12) with a tiny piece of crawler and no weight or other devices, deadsticking with an open bail, on 4-lb clear mono.  Like a tip-up with even less resistance.  We take turns outfishing each other, but last year he was the king.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Depends on what kind of trout are stocked

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2017, 07:07 PM »
Ok fellas not trying to hijack this post but I have some land locked stocked trout questions. First of all in Wisconsin in a few deep lakes I frequent the dnr stocks there adult brood stock browns in a couple lakes every few years. I only know of a couple people that target land locked trout through the ice in my area. Where should I target these fish. I've read of inlets being good spots but where else. What's the spot on the spot your looking for? I like the deadstick crawler idea. I have heard of some using the rubber band trick for setting the hook on the tip up for you before the trout can spit the hook. I need to ice one of these tankers!

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Depends on what kind of trout are stocked

I am looking for info on rainbows specifically. Can I use regular tip up line with a long flouro leader?  Will a small treble be ok, or is a single hook best?  Thanks,
Steve

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Yea it'll work just light flouro 4lb what state are you in

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Yea it'll work just light flouro 4lb what state are you in

I am in Wisconsin...first time trying for trout, so we will see how it goes in a few weeks when we can get out.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2017, 10:58 PM »
I don't care for regular tip ups for rainbow or dolly varden trout.
Hook setters like my Salmon Bears work great though.
But most of my fish come from a jigging rod in my hand with one of my custom made jigs on it.
I find they nip at a lot of baits and without a quick hookset you'll miss them 90+% of the time.
For bait I cut up raw shrimp, use jars of single salmon eggs, or use cured skein eggs.
This was what we decided to keep today.
Caught 30+ total for the 3 of us and lost some real big ones.

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:22 PM »
the rubber band trick=
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:13 PM »
the rubber band trick=

Does this actually work on trout where you live?
Where I'm at here in AK the trout often nip at your bait. You either set the hook quickly or miss the fish altogether
They rarely take off and run with a bait.
If they do run with it most of the time they  are already well hooked and no setting is required.
Just my observations from 20+ years of serious trout fishing through the ice here in AK.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:27 AM »
they are known to grab run and drop.  not unlike catfish in cold water.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:58 PM »
For rainbows in shallow water I use my polar style tip ups using the light trip setting. 2 pound floro with a very small trout hook and a single salmon egg.

I get out on the lake an hour before sunup and drill my holes in 1-4 feet of water very close to shore. Then I go to the truck and take a nap or drink coffee till just before he sun comes up enough to see. Quietly set the tips in the holes and watch the flags fly. Bows go deep at night then come in and cruise the shallows by shorlines at sunrise looking for food. Drilling an hour before setting the tips let's everything calm down.....if you drill and set up while they are cruising the shore already it drives em away. Drill early while it's still dark and go away......then come back and set up being as quiet as you can.   I've caught bows on tips right against the shoreline this way.

I have limited out in an hour many times using this method. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Stocked trout are a little different than natural or big lake raised trout, so be mindful when you are reading tips and how-to stuff online. We catch them in 1-3' of water, on anything flashy and moving. Live minnows are unbeatable, but jigging them is fun too. Just use a standard light rig on the tipup and keep it about a foot under the ice in 2-3 feet of water. #7 split shot, #6 hook, and a live minnow. I know some of the lake stocked trout up north are different, they stock them with fingerlings and they grow in the lake- these are different than adult stocked fish.. and different than what i am talking about.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:36 PM »
I fish for lake trout in 60-120 ft of water. Tip-ups work fine---I don't use them but plenty do. I'd say it really depends on the trout, depth of water etc.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Roaddog2

• IceShanty Rookie
Catching brown and brook trout on tip ups
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:09 AM »
I’m taking a trip up to central Maine next weekend for some ice fishing. Me and my buddy typically only target largemouth bass through the ice but this particular lake has a lot of stocked brown trout and even some brookies that we want to get after. Any tips on setting up tip-ups, jigs, what size hooks to use, bait, etc would be very helpful!

Offline toadstool

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tony- Sherburne, NY
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Ya'll are blowing my mind with this shallow water stuff! I have been missing the boat!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.