Author Topic: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?  (Read 25678 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Any company bringing out a 10in hand auger?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 22, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Thanks dr, I figured it would probably be blue. Do you happen to remember what handle type? The 1st one in the pics I put up has a straight handle, I see alot of the mushroom type and not to many straight ones
mushroom type knob handle.most of the straight handle moras that I have are the offset handle models.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #61 on: Sep 22, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Gotcha, I did notice on a few of those straight ones they were offset. Looking around the Web on these I seen they offered that handle separately if you wanted one at one point
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #62 on: Sep 22, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Still looking for the Mora if anyone finds one.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Sep 22, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Still looking for the Mora if anyone finds one.

Eyes are peeled

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Sep 23, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Just curious what fish you are catching that anyone would need a 10" hole for. I have 8" and have caught 43" pike and 8 1/2 lb large mouth with no problem.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #65 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:06 PM »
One really fat 40lb+ laker I'll keep trying for as long as I can get out
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #66 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Just curious what fish you are catching that anyone would need a 10" hole for. I have 8" and have caught 43" pike and 8 1/2 lb large mouth with no problem.
k

It has nothing to do with fish. It has to do with a wheel house, and holes freezing down.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Sep 23, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Seen this a little while ago it has a older style blade guard  wich could be a 10? But only problem it don't say weather it's a 10 inch or 8  or not ??  If it's a 10 inch looks pretty big in the laddies hand which made me think it was a 10 inch auger.. see link..

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/d/ice-auger/6292080331.html

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Sep 23, 2017, 03:08 PM »
My suggestion would be to try and find replacement blades for the auger, before buying the auger...

Needing blades on a used auger is pretty much inevitable..

I'm always astonished by the fact if you are selling a Mora style auger on Craig's list, it must be illegal to sell it with the blade guard. I think to even be allowed to post it, it must have had the guard lost, at a minimum of ten years...

<°)))>{

Would the ion blades fit a ten inch hand auger?? They look the same but it is all about bolt pattern..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #69 on: Sep 23, 2017, 06:51 PM »
Seen this a little while ago it has a older style blade guard  wich could be a 10? But only problem it don't say weather it's a 10 inch or 8  or not ??  If it's a 10 inch looks pretty big in the laddies hand which made me think it was a 10 inch auger.. see link..

I text it so see if I get a response

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #70 on: Sep 23, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Would the ion blades fit a ten inch hand auger?? They look the same but it is all about bolt pattern..

I'm guessing they would. It seems that the bolt Pattern is a standard size. I've put the sweeden mora blades on about every shaver auger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #71 on: Sep 23, 2017, 07:08 PM »
My suggestion would be to try and find replacement blades for the auger, before buying the auger...

Needing blades on a used auger is pretty much inevitable..

I'm always astonished by the fact if you are selling a Mora style auger on Craig's list, it must be illegal to sell it with the blade guard. I think to even be allowed to post it, it must have had the guard lost, at a minimum of ten years...

<°)))>{

I sharpen and buff my own blades. I haven't ran into a blade I can't fix even if it was sharpened wrong on both sides.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #72 on: Sep 23, 2017, 07:08 PM »

She replied and said blades were an 8in.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Sep 23, 2017, 10:20 PM »
She replied and said blades were an 8in.

Sorry about that!! I  was hopeing for you.. that it would be a 10 inch..

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #74 on: Sep 24, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Just wondering if it wouldn't be easier to use a heavy old spud, than to try turning a 10-incher....especially one less than perfectly sharp.
Thread killer

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Sep 25, 2017, 04:59 AM »
That or a nills ice saw??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #76 on: Oct 08, 2017, 12:13 AM »
That or a nills ice saw??

I've got an ice saw.......just wanting the old 10in mora hand auger.......anyone find one.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Oct 08, 2017, 01:02 AM »
I actually saw one at a garage sale this past week. Was thinking "wow, awesome find!" Until I saw it had no blades... decided to pass on it because as I've been finding, blades are just about impossible to find!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #78 on: Oct 08, 2017, 01:05 AM »
I actually saw one at a garage sale this past week. Was thinking "wow, awesome find!" Until I saw it had no blades... decided to pass on it because as I've been finding, blades are just about impossible to find!

I bet the ion 10in blades would work

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #79 on: Oct 13, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Still looking for a 10in mora.......

Chute82

« Reply #80 on: Oct 14, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Some Canadian gave my buddy a homemade 10” ice auger, watched the poor guy try to drill through 3 ft of ice... after about 20 minutes and 1” later my buddy felt bad and punched him some holes.  Guy the gave my buddy the 10” home made auger, bet my buddy lunch he could go 3” in a hr with the pos.. my buddy quit after 1/2 hr ... i’ll Ask my buddy if you can have it, you’ll have to pay shipping...

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #81 on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:34 PM »
A 10 inch auger sometimes is not enough here in Wyoming.    Our largest official lake trout is over 50 pounds.   I cut two ten inch holes over lapped some and then sput out the points on both sides of the hole (s).  On one end I am going to start cutting a slide to slide the fish out of the water. It's not so much pulling a 10 inch diameter trout out of a 10 inch hole as it is to get the fish to stick his head up through the hole correctly to pull him out with your hand. With no gaffs allowed, one needs all the help they can get.
Thread killer

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Oct 14, 2017, 06:22 PM »
A 10 inch auger sometimes is not enough here in Wyoming.    Our largest official lake trout is over 50 pounds.   I cut two ten inch holes over lapped some and then sput out the points on both sides of the hole (s).  On one end I am going to start cutting a slide to slide the fish out of the water. It's not so much pulling a 10 inch diameter trout out of a 10 inch hole as it is to get the fish to stick his head up through the hole correctly to pull him out with your hand. With no gaffs allowed, one needs all the help they can get.
[/quote
Amen.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:07 PM »

We get big fish out here to.. but what about a mini spearing hole??  Two 5 inch holes in the corner of a square  across from each other..  then connect with a ice saw like a fishes ice saw or even a nils ice saw??  Then pop the block out.. That would probably be the best way to do it??  Just like in a ice house you can buy the square hole covers that are meant for spearing like I was saying use some thing like that if ice in's are a problem.. sleep then open then with a spud in morning??  It's just a though??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #84 on: Oct 14, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Some Canadian gave my buddy a homemade 10” ice auger, watched the poor guy try to drill through 3 ft of ice... after about 20 minutes and 1” later my buddy felt bad and punched him some holes.  Guy the gave my buddy the 10” home made auger, bet my buddy lunch he could go 3” in a hr with the pos.. my buddy quit after 1/2 hr ... i’ll Ask my buddy if you can have it, you’ll have to pay shipping...

If it is a home made POS that doesn't work......why would I want it......

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Ok thanks to Ronco sending me a PM....I'm super close to getting a 10in mora....for around $100 shipped...I think it's done just waiting for a reply on sending the money.
Hope it works out. Be kinda cool cutting holes with that big SOB.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #86 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:13 PM »
sweet.i knew they were still out there.now hope you don't have to find blades probably just as rare as my 4" mora blades.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #87 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:59 PM »
sweet.i knew they were still out there.now hope you don't have to find blades probably just as rare as my 4" mora blades.

I can sharpen my own blades with a mora. Ion 10in my fit it too......

Sent the money hope he sends it

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Awesome, I think that's the first one of those I've seen..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Awesome, I think that's the first one of those I've seen..

<°)))>{

Think when I get it I’m gonna go to a machine shop and get and get a good adaptor made for it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.