Author Topic: Would this presentation work?  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would this presentation work?
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:01 AM »
So I've never really targeted trout through the ice. I was wondering if I had a size 6 hook on with say 20lb line if that would be too heavy. The trout I'm targeting are 12+ in and they are brown and rainbows. I was also wondering if I should use fat heads or shiners

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Would this presentation work?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:37 AM »
I would say 20lb is too much unless it's braided then it would be fine. If I could use minnows where the target is just trout I would just use a size 8 or 6 treble hook on 10lb mono with a split shot or two about a foot above the hook. Trout get really tough to get through the hole so if you plan on keeping them a gaf always helps. Also when getting them through the hole never grab the line, I have seen a lot of decent trout lost at the hole because of someone grabbing the line.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:51 AM »
I'm sittin here wondering, are you using tip ups or is that a jigging rod? I was just fishing for trout just that size last weekend. Set a few tip ups with 25# tip up line and a 3' length of 6# mono as a leader with a #6 gamagatsu octopus hook and minnows for bait. Got a rainbow but I did better jigging. I got 3 rainbows with 3# bionic ice line and a jammin jigs neon tiger with a waxie.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 12:54 PM »
So I've never really targeted trout through the ice. I was wondering if I had a size 6 hook on with say 20lb line if that would be too heavy. The trout I'm targeting are 12+ in and they are brown and rainbows. I was also wondering if I should use fat heads or shiners

I use size 6 or 8 hooks & 6# line exclusively on my jigging & deadstick rods. I've caught trout up to 29 inches with this setup. Works well for me !!

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:31 PM »
This set up is on tip ups and the reason so heavy is I'm used to targeting pike and bass. The line is braided. Also the water in the lake is crystal clear. I always use treble hooks while fishing for pike but idk if I should use a single hook or treble for the trout considering the size of their mouth.

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:27 PM »
6-8 lbs line will do fine...20lbs is way over kill, thats more pike and tiger muskie.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2017, 05:14 AM »
tightlines, I'm still confused a bit... but that's just me, I get that way sometimes. The 20# braided line, is that your tip up line or your leader?

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Spider that's my regular line. I didn't use a leader. I usually fish for pike but like I said that was the first time going out for trout with tip ups. I finished with a 14 inch brown on a tip up and a 18 inch rainbow jigging

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:27 AM »
ok, yeah, then a 20# tip up line seems like it might spook off most trout. Pike don't mind it but trout might. I would add a short leader on a swivel. Maybe 6 or 8#. I use a single hooks, #6 gamagatsu octopus hooks but that doesn't matter much, I've seen trout suck in some big baits hook and all. But to tell the truth, I usually have more luck jigging for trout but I rarely target them. Usually only when I go fishing to hang out with a buddy or 2 that like trout. I would rather eat perch, but trout are fun to catch anyway.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2017, 10:24 PM »
20# is way to heavy.  Use 4# or 6# max.  Fatheads or shiners depends on the lake.  Live or dead?  We can't use live here.  My first trip 41 years ago we used preserved shiners on handlines and killed 'em.  Been carrying some for 41 years and haven't caught that many on 'em in the lakes I now fish.  Size 6 hook is OK.  I normally don't go above 4, and my fishin' buddy uses stuff down to 12.

Did you make it out to try any of the advice?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Rainbows are strong fighters. A 12" plus bow can easily break a 6+ line.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2017, 12:32 AM »

True.  However, we have caught many rainbows up to 7 lbs. and as long as 27" all on 6 lb. test.  And my buddy does the same on 4 lb.  That is what the drag adjustment on your reel is for, and why I use open face spinning reels with reliable drag.  I also like 53" spinning rods, enough rod that the rod action, friction at the guides, and drag all help me keep in contact with the fish, with a tight line, but allowing no slack.  "Fighting" large trout is a finesse game.  Monofilament line should be kept free of abrasions and replaced routinely.  The reel should release line long before it gets tight enough to break.  And don't you dare try to lift a large one out of the water with the line.  Snap!

Line strength selection is a balance between spooking the fish and breaking them off.  The balance works because of the reel drag and good technique.

Sorry.  Preaching.

IMO.  YMMV, but not much.   ;)

A recent catch on 6#:

This is the 4 lb. aficionado with a couple of five pounders:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2017, 05:58 AM »

I respectfully disagree. The only exception would be if the fish has you spooled and there's no more line to give. Broken lines and busted rods are far more often a function of angler error rather than brute fish strength regardless of how earnestly the tale is told. If you've got line to give, the fish wants it and you refuse, well...

A good rule of thumb is you should be able to land a fish that weighs 3x the pound test line you are fishing. that, of course, doesn't account for tangling in heavy cover or sharp teeth but those are different problems.

My evidence? A 13.5# flathead catfish on 4# in a flood stage Mississippi River or the 54" sturgeon (no weight) on 6#. Not easy but doable.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:00 AM »
yeah, but what you guys aren't taking into account is that the OP is talking about tip up line, not jigging rods. He was attaching his hook directly to the tip up line which is fine for pike but not so good for line shy fish like the 12" trout the OP was talking about. Now personally, I keep 8# mono leaders on my tip ups but I'm usually shooting for bass, perch and crappie with pickerel usually hitting at any time. I have used it for trout but I would rather jig for trout than set traps. Most... or actually all of my jigging this year was done with 3# bionic ice line. I don't know how it would do with the beauties you guys are catching but it works fine with the nasty 12-16" stockers I get stuck with.

---

Steve, how are you posting pictures? Usually I can't see pictures but I can see those? Just wondering.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2017, 07:10 AM »
True.  However, we have caught many rainbows up to 7 lbs. and as long as 27" all on 6 lb. test.  And my buddy does the same on 4 lb.  That is what the drag adjustment on your reel is for, and why I use open face spinning reels with reliable drag.  I also like 53" spinning rods, enough rod that the rod action, friction at the guides, and drag all help me keep in contact with the fish, with a tight line, but allowing no slack.  "Fighting" large trout is a finesse game.  Monofilament line should be kept free of abrasions and replaced routinely.  The reel should release line long before it gets tight enough to break.  And don't you dare try to lift a large one out of the water with the line.  Snap!

Line strength selection is a balance between spooking the fish and breaking them off.  The balance works because of the reel drag and good technique.

Sorry.  Preaching.

IMO.  YMMV, but not much.   ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess it depends on whether or not you intend to release it. If so, by the time you have played it out on a 4 # test it will be too exhausted to swim away. As so much else in life, different strokes for different folks!!

And never mind what the OP said! Why ruin a good argument in the slow season!!!?? ;D
A recent catch on 6#:

This is the 4 lb. aficionado with a couple of five pounders:

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2017, 08:47 AM »
yeah, but what you guys aren't taking into account is that the OP is talking about tip up line, not jigging rods. He was attaching his hook directly to the tip up line which is fine for pike but not so good for line shy fish like the 12" trout the OP was talking about.

Aha!  Yes, indeed.  What a kind correction!  Thank you.   For sure, the presentation issue still exists.  Well said.  I suppose then you become the drag mechanism and technique must be paramount!

Steve, how are you posting pictures? Usually I can't see pictures but I can see those? Just wondering.

I use my own web site instead of something like Photobucket.  Maybe you're behind a firewall that blocks sites like Photobucket?

Most... or actually all of my jigging this year was done with 3# bionic ice line. I don't know how it would do with the beauties you guys are catching but it works fine with the nasty 12-16" stockers I get stuck with.

Three pound line!  With the right setup you could do it, but I wouldn't try it on one of TL's tip ups.  Rest assured, some days we C&R plenty of smaller fish on the way to a hog.  And some days there are no hogs.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2017, 06:46 PM »
yeah, but what you guys aren't taking into account is that the OP is talking about tip up line, not jigging rods. He was attaching his hook directly to the tip up line which is fine for pike but not so good for line shy fish like the 12" trout the OP was talking about.

In any event, I never present anything directly on tipup OR jig rod line. I always have a section of appropriate leader. For critters that can't cut line with teeth the choice is easy: fish as light and limp as your fingers allow. After all, that is the most sensitive infinitely adjustable drag system in the world. And at the risk of repeating myself, you can often fish a lot "lighter" than you think... if you're a good line manager.  ;)2

Here's the equation: What is the biggest fish you expect to catch by weight? Divide by 3 and that should/could be your minimum leader test. Exceptions occur when fishing toothy critters with plastic leaders. More diameter reduces chances of biteoffs. No matter how good you think you are. But this is not one of those crowds....

I have my opinions on materials, translucent vs opaque but that is a whole 'nother can of worms..... And no, there is NO material that is "invisible".  :whistle:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.