Author Topic: Jacques Trappe - a DIY conversion for cross type to Jack's type tip-up  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
So I got tired of fighting with the cross style tip ups I've been using and really want a set of Jacks types so I started nosing around the hardware stores and trying to figure out a way to do it with little or no money.

I started with a typical cross type like photo #1

Then I pulled it apart and found the holes for the pivot points line up on all 3 sticks.  Now to find a bracket to secure the ends.  That was tough - took me a lot longer than it should have but I found the chrome things in one of the drawers at the orange hardware super store.  Picked up some brass wood screws and headed home.

The only hole you will need to drill is one to relocate the spool.  Pull the spool off and measure up from the bottom about 1" - double check with your specific spool but that's what worked for me.

I pre-drilled the ends for the screws - make sure there's room for the center stick on both ends.  Use a washer on either side of the center stick at the pivot point and that's it.

(4) #8 x 1/2 round head brass wood screws = $2.50
(2) 1/2" x 1/2" x 1-1/2" bracket = $1.60
(1) 10x24 2-1/2" bolt = (I had one from another project)

It was under $5 total in parts (per unit) and it took about 30 minutes including sipping on a beverage and checking the internet.

Things I like about the set up is the pivot bolt is a hook holder with tension on the spool.  It folds flat and doesn't rattle around - very neat and tidy.

Be aware that the hook for the flag will need to be moved to fold it flat but that's a simple thing.

If imitation is a sincere form of flattery, then I'm sincerely imitating the guys from Maine that make excellent equipment.

(Said with and outrageous Frawnch accent) Ladies & Gents, the Jacque's Trappe!

Pics:

Please let me know if you can't see the pics.
Thanks - Enjoy
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Fantabulus, Sprocket.     :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :bow:

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fantabulus, Sprocket.     :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :bow:

I second that. Fine job!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Thank you - the catch rate remains the same if that helps anyone.  I just enjoyed the doing during "2015-16 Season of No Ice" here in Coastal New England.

I'm working on a set of 100% scratch-made "Jacks" using materials I can source without the internet - big box & local stores only.  I've got a budget of $25/per in mind and the trigger mechanism is the tricky part.  I may also open up the budget to get a better "fit and finish" as they say.  The budget does not include the investment of tools.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.