New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 52828 times)

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #210 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:35 PM »
great report new old guy ;D and happy birthday :clap:
retired let the fishing begin

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #211 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:43 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMMY!!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #212 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:26 AM »
Thank you to all. Yup, 73 years young and going for 80, the good Lord willing. I am looking for some new fishing partners who can keep up with the Old Guy  ;D ;D ;D
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:49 AM »
I didn't know that  " NEW OLD GUY'S " had birthdays ????

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Hey Joe,

Missed you last time up bud. Maybe we can cut some ice together next week. A big refreeze coming up next week. Save a few of them seven stripped fish for me will ya?
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline fishslayer730

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Anyone willing to share a slush report after today's heat wave?  Thinking about making the drive in the morning n hoping I don't need waders for the slop thanks

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #216 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Any of you guys out on the pond today that would like to share the conditions out there?

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:56 PM »
We came up to the Pond for the weekend. Just walked out with spud and hand auger off near Elms. Shoreline was a little shaky, a few funky looking spots but drilled 6 holes and found about 8" in all of them. There was a group of 6 or 8 shantys near where I was. If you go out tomorrow, use caution, but we will fish tomorrow. Not much water on top either.

Offline Hooksetter420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Anybody know of any cabin rentals on the pond looking to spend a weekend there

Offline Co5852

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Any reports of ice status ? Looking to go out Sunday
👣

Offline Setit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #220 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Looking to see if the shoreline/pond is good enough for a ATV? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #221 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Looking to see if the shoreline/pond is good enough for a ATV? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

We have a snowmobile and were planning on using it tomorrow so I went down to the pond to see if anyone was out there with a sled.... nothing.... not one or even a track and I drove all the way around the pond! I don't know why they aren't driving on it but I'm not going to be the first one to do it... not with a six month old at home!! Sooo a 4 wheeler??? Im going to use a famous phrase here, I don't give suggestions I just make observations but whatever you decide stay safe!!
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline tigerwoodsmuskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Jan 13, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I had my sled on the Pond today near the Elms. The edges were a little shaky from the run off but after that it was good for me. Use a little caution

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #223 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:20 AM »
We have a snowmobile and were planning on using it tomorrow so I went down to the pond to see if anyone was out there with a sled.... nothing.... not one or even a track and I drove all the way around the pond! I don't know why they aren't driving on it but I'm not going to be the first one to do it... not with a six month old at home!! Sooo a 4 wheeler??? Im going to use a famous phrase here, I don't give suggestions I just make observations but whatever you decide stay safe!!

Yo Birdslayer,

X2 or as my french grand ma would say c'est un bon conseil

Offline iceman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:22 AM »
How much snow is on the ice?

Offline Setit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #225 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:58 AM »
thank you for the input and feedback, I could use the walk anyway!! good luck and stay safe

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #226 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Braved the weather yesterday and turned out not to be as bad as it sounded. The sun was Sure a welcome site. Several people out in front of the wigwam and it looked as though a bunch over towards Stanley Drive as well. Hope all had a great day.
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Co5852

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #227 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Went off Elms today. Fished the honeyhole, about 20 keepers over 10”. Walk out was prefect, as the snow sleds have made a nice hard packed trail.  :tipup:

👣

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Same at GP the shore firmed up and there were sleds and wheelers out.  The bite on the GP was far from good for me and a few others I spoke to.

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #229 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Went out of Blind Creek with son did 52 decent perch with the usual dinks . Drag was ok stayed in snowmobile tracks about 6 inches of snow with some minor drifts.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #230 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:18 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Accessed the Pond from the Wig-Wam yesterday (SAT). Didn't get out till noon. The parking lot was full. Cars parked on the side of the road all the way back out to the main road. A quick view from the top of the ramp, I witnessed about 200 other shanties and as many pail sitters had decided The Pond was the place to be yesterday. The drag down the ramp was easy, if you can picture this old guy trying to run along side his shanty as it barreled down the ramp, Thank God for one bare section that acted like a brake, preventing me from being dragged down the ramp by my own shanty (on a smitty).

Let's continue. There were multiple wet trenches at the bottom of the ramp from the 4 wheelers. Not too deep but you could get your foot wet if not careful. The snow cover on top of the ice was variable zero to 5 inches snow drifts at some places. By late afternoon the snow had become heavier and much of it was turning into slush. All in all with the smitty, the drag was not too laborious.I trudged out toward center ice (exact location not given) and found enumerable people all over my former "Honey Hole" . Being the gregarious fellow that I am , I engaged in conversation with the group of men from Baldwinsville and tested how comfortable they would be with my entry into their enclave. Great guys, "sure , join us" . I settled in a respectful 50 feet or so from their pre cut holes and soon discovered I was not far off the mark . At least for that day. With in the first hour I had accumulated about 10 nice keepers while sorting through tons of dinks I might mention. Typical Sandy Pond fare eh? All the while bantering with my new found friends. Now I'm not going to tell you all their names and how many children each of them had , but suffice to say we became fast friends by the time they left and I then took over their pre-cut holes. (pre-cut saves a lot of arm twisting on us old guys don't you know.) Now a full fledged hole hopper, I tested their holes with scant luck, with the exception of one 25 inch slime log on my 4# test line and losing my favorite cream green willow jig to another slime log. I finished the next hour out keeping a total of 21 good sized perch. A testament to their size is they were enough to fill 2 freezer bags after cleaning. A follow up to the ice thickness, as I only cut one hole, the thickness at that location was 12 inches with 4 inches of white ice over dark ice.

Now, the temperature was above 40 degrees all afternoon. The sun was shining . The wind occasionally gusted up to 10-15  mph. but was a premo ice fishing day for this old geezer.  The drag back in was a bit easier as much of the snow had melted and the snow was more dense and the smitty dragged over it with ease. Till I got to the ramp. The wheel tracks at the bottom of the ramp had deepened and I took a circuitous route toward the dock and all that untraveled snow turned to slush with my weight. Then the drag up the ramp was much rougher than the slide down the ramp (obviously) The ramp terrain had become 60% bare from the melt and travel of pedestrians and machines . So, in short I got to say, it was  a good day to be out enjoying one of God's  blessings. One word of advise for those venturing out today. Beware of the continuing degradation of the ice mat and be mindful of how fast it can change over night in warm weather. Be safe out there and as always Spud Spud Spud

Boggey

Post Script: My normal disclaimer, These are the ice conditions I witnessed at the locations I accessed. They are not to be construed as an endorsement of conditions on the entire pond. Individual accesses should be evaluated accordingly. It might be nice if you were to post the conditions where you accessed if different than mine. It might also be nice if some  thoughtful persons were to shovel some of the banked snow on to the ramp area for us old geezers. Just an after thought.   

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #231 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:25 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Just wanted to add, from my perspective  it was a great family day. Saw lots of kids. Snow mobiles , 4 wheelers. A few guys having a good time, but no rowdyness or cussing. Hope we can keep it like that.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #232 on: Jan 21, 2018, 04:37 AM »
sounds like a great day boggey i planon hitting the pond this week in search of some toothy friends  and a few perch to boot ................i love family days  ;D

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Green point was not as full, but there were  2 to 3 x the numbers from last few weekends. Again for me and many others the bite was tough on the north side and we only managed a dozen keepers between 4 of us. Little action from the dinks to keep us busy. No pike flags that I saw all day in my eyeshot. Many others around me had the same luck. Great day lots of kids out so I call it a success.  Conditions were as stated above, but the shore mushy, keep to the ramp.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #234 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Another beautiful day on the Pond. Again accessed from the Wig-Wam ramp. To my surprise, someone did shovel some snow on the ramp. Thank you, although with the days temperature and the machine use it had  again wore off by the evening drag back in. Today I brought my eldest son for the first time this year and I invited one of our newest Ice shanty members Glug to come with us. While Glug is an IS newby, he is not a beginner Ice fisherman. A delightful young witty fellow and a joy to fish with. I hope to spend more time with him on the ice in the ensuing years. 

Again, my son and I had a relatively good bite day, sorting threw a bunch of dinks to keep our 38 count of perch. Jeff, (Glug) did similarly well sorting through dinks in order to bring back 20 at the last count of fresh perch for a dinner with his wife and 2 children. Yo Clint, sorry to hear of your low bite over at Green Point. You should come over to the "Dark Side" my friend. Yo Stu, sorry i missed you again. We were having too much fun to pick up and search for you my friend. I am sure we will get together some time this winter. Let's hope the ice holds up through this weeks warming spell and we will have a long and safe ice fishing season. Like maybe fishing in our T-shirts in April. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

While the snow on top was turning to slush I still had 10 inches of ice under me at my location still out from the ramp at Wig-Wam in 12 fow. All of yesterdays holes were still open so we didn't have to cut any new holes. That made it easy to do a lot of hole hopping. The drag was tolerable especially since my son did all the tugging haha. The wet spot at the bottom of the ramp is getting ever larger and deeper. Be careful at that point. We used fatheads and perch eyes today, switching back and forth as the bite demanded. Took my nap when I got home, got to go clean some fish now.

As usual, this report is only relevant to the direct area of the Pond that I attended today and as such does not constitute nor imply safe conditions on any other areas of the Pond.

Be safe everyone and as the ice deteriorates be aware of the changing conditions. Don't forget to bring your spud and spud spud spud.

Boggey

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #235 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Had a great Sunday, thanks again Jim, greatly appreciated. As mentioned, just an awesome day to be out, good weather, plenty of ice and spent with family. The sleds made for an easy ride/drag out but I am guessing the edges have opened up at this point to use them for a while. Sorry I missed you Jim, I sent you a text during the day, however I later found that I had the wrong number, but then again, like you, we were having so much fun and the bite was on so I didn't venture over to find you. Next time!! Sorted through several dinks but we all managed to bring home more than our share. Be safe with this warm weather!!

PS  Jim I sent you another text, this time I believe too the correct number ;D 
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #236 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Yo Stu,

We will for sure get some ice time together this year. The water pools over the ice from the last few days will freeze back over locking the ice mat back up again for today , tonight and tomorrow. All good indicators we will have some good lasting ice well into spring this year. Thursday and Friday are going to be phenomenal weather days provided the snow cover remains minimal. I hope we can get together when Tommy Boy gets back from diesel training school eh? I think he gets back next week and I heard through the grapevine, he has a new beer brats recipe. Sounds like a cook out on the ice my friend. All is good.

Boggey

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Anybody got up to date conditions??  Looking to bring a few buddies Saturday morning.

Thanks.

DAN

Offline Jackperch72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Hey guys fished off the elms today as I was leaving I found a frabill hub if anyone is looking for it I left it up by the door where you pay to park.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,

doesn’t know what a patient man she married !

Offline papiere

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just love fishing
« Reply #239 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Was fishing the Pond Wed and caught a mess of good sized perch and a nice Northern.  Funny thing, had to let the rods sit.  Not much on jigging.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.