Author Topic: Tip up selections  (Read 20004 times)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Tip up selections
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:30 PM »
i thought so too until i got theses and took time to learn them and adjust them?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Nothing but Beaver dam tip ups for years

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:12 PM »
HT Polars for perch
HT Fishermans for bluegills
Frabil Arctic Fires for pike

Plastics like these are lighter than wood which makes a difference when you bring a couple dozen on the ice with you.  They are also cheaper.  A $40 Beaver Dam lasts just as long as a $10 polar when it gets run over by a snowmobile. 

No performance issues on the polars and some are pushing 30 years old.  They get re-lubed every off season.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:35 AM »
beaver dam, anything that has been properly maintained should work for a long time
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #64 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:25 AM »
beaver dam, anything that has been properly maintained should work for a long time

how does one "properly maintain" a beaver dam?   Some have said on this thread you need to change the grease yearly, others said the seal should be good forever...

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:14 AM »
how does one "properly maintain" a beaver dam?   Some have said on this thread you need to change the grease yearly, others said the seal should be good forever...

grease and clean spool shaft with artic tip up lube. make sure all components are in proper working order
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline Pm067889

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Frabill thermal round :tipup:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:05 PM »
grease and clean spool shaft with artic tip up lube. make sure all components are in proper working order

Yeah, i just watched the video, there's a lot more to it than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=850iICoBZIQ

I can't believe an angler should be expected to do that to each individual tipup every year or two.   WHAT A JOKE

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:29 PM »

I can't believe an angler should be expected to do that to each individual tipup every year or two.   WHAT A JOKE

Tbh it's kind of fun..like...cleaning your guns after a good day of shooting fun. I do it after hunting season and it gets me in a ice fishing mood. Also retie my leaders and hooks with fresh stuff. It's basic maintenance. I havent watched that video, but all i do for my polars is pull the shaft out, wipe off the old grease, put some new grease in the tube and youre good to go. Takes 5 minutes a tipup.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Tbh it's kind of fun..like...cleaning your guns after a good day of shooting fun. I do it after hunting season and it gets me in a ice fishing mood. Also retie my leaders and hooks with fresh stuff. It's basic maintenance. I havent watched that video, but all i do for my polars is pull the shaft out, wipe off the old grease, put some new grease in the tube and youre good to go. Takes 5 minutes a tipup.

It involves melting the old solder off the spools, then re-soldering them.   I have no problem with doing the basic stuff, I redo my hooks and leaders on my traps and jigging rods every trip.   The whole soldering part is just a bit much.  Don't you think?

Chute82

« Reply #70 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:30 PM »
It involves melting the old solder off the spools, then re-soldering them.   I have no problem with doing the basic stuff, I redo my hooks and leaders on my traps and jigging rods every trip.   The whole soldering part is just a bit much.  Don't you think?

Old BD design has solder, new ones have a nut... I have had my BD for a number of years and have never had a problem...of course last two years ice fishing pretty much has been a bust in NW Pa, maybe next year

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:24 PM »
yeah ht's have a nut. I dont solder anything.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Baystateangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Worked at a fishing shop used alot of brands and the best is the Frabill insulated round tip up. stores small easily stack 7-8 in a bucket...has multiple settings for trigger pressure from strong for big bait- to light as a feather trigger pressure... hole never freezes (without buying extra hole covers), no light penetrates the hole so it doesn't spook fish, it has attachments for lights. They are the only ones I ever use anymore. Only time i take out my heritage tip-ups anymore (which i have a whole set) is on Nice days (Sunny no wind).
I've bought a couple of these within the last month and am yet to bring them out on the ice. I love the design of them and really hope they perform well for me. Hope mine work as good as yours do!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Mine randomly started freezing up so that the shaft wouldn't turn.

would you like me to take a look at this? Post a pic of your BD

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 14, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I have never re-greased mine. I have a tube of Beaver Dam No Freeze Grease. I did do one for a buddy. Stored his vertically in a west window. The solder Came off easy with a Propane Torch. Re soldering was easy too. That is the only one i ever had to do. Don't know anyone else that has had to do it ether.  :tipup:
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:31 PM »
How about frabil classic wood tip ups ?? Similar to the  beaver damn tip up.. but half the price I think the classic wood tip ups are better then frabil or ht brand polar tip ups cause those got the plastic spool on them.. were the classic wood has a all metal spool.. 200 foot to be exact for capacity..  Jacks traps are nice to cause there light and packable same with hearitage lakers..

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:09 PM »
How about frabil classic wood tip ups ?? Similar to the  beaver damn tip up.. but half the price I think the classic wood tip ups are better then frabil or ht brand polar tip ups cause those got the plastic spool on them.. were the classic wood has a all metal spool.. 200 foot to be exact for capacity..  Jacks traps are nice to cause there light and packable same with hearitage lakers..

Some if the hts come with metal spools. Can also buy them separately. Im starting to prefer the plastic spools. They seem to turn smoother and the line doesnt freeze to them

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 04, 2017, 09:30 AM »
For years I have used wooden tip ups with a spring on the trip lever which eliminated wind hits they also have a second flag to show when a fish is running. These were the poor-mans polar tip ups. About ten years ago I upgraded to the HT polars and never looked back. It doesn't matter is there is just ice, snow, or wind these things work well.
JG

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I have never re-greased mine. I have a tube of Beaver Dam No Freeze Grease. I did do one for a buddy. Stored his vertically in a west window. The solder Came off easy with a Propane Torch. Re soldering was easy too. That is the only one i ever had to do. Don't know anyone else that has had to do it ether.  :tipup:

Thanks UFCreel it's obvious what the best is      Watch for it Next time you watch Grumpy Old Men the movie people did their homework.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:39 PM »
i got 5 heritages that are 25 yrs old. I've replaced the flags and sometimes the trip plate but I've never had to regrease the trip shaft on them and never had one freeze on me even at -25-30f! they've took a beating but still work as good as new. polars are great but our deep snow limits us to taller tip ups.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:43 AM »
i got 5 heritages that are 25 yrs old. I've replaced the flags and sometimes the trip plate but I've never had to regrease the trip shaft on them and never had one freeze on me even at -25-30f! they've took a beating but still work as good as new. polars are great but our deep snow limits us to taller tip ups.

THIS ^

Polar style are ok and relatively inexpensive but when you actually have snow on the ice you can't see the damn flags so stick type ones are in my mind a necessity.  My ancient polars sit in a bucket to loan out to family when they stop by. You'll hear a hundred guys go back and forth about heritage laker vs jack traps.  Both are excellent and last forever (my hl set is 20 years old never let me down).......jacks a bit better but you need to decide if they are worth the extra cash.

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:37 AM »
, my favorite, home made for the blind, can see it 1/2 mile away.................

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Jacks

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #83 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:38 AM »

Those are the old school BDs, as was said, the newer ones (last 20 years) have a nut and it's much easier. If you don't like the maintenance of the old ones, then send the shaft into BD and they'll replace it with a new shaft/spool at cost. I've run every tip-up imaginable for walleyes in winter, nothing has compared in cold weather like the BD Arctic Fisherman.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Oct 31, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I'm in the Jack Traps camp

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #85 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Question for you guys running JTs or Heritage flags....Do they make lights for them for night fishing?

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Not that I'm aware of for JT... but maybe you should use something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/PARTY-DOTS-Assorted-Stick-Light/dp/B006ZN1XD4

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #87 on: Nov 06, 2017, 10:51 PM »
I use home made Ice Rigger style with frabil lights . Some have a chime if I am inclined to turn it on and my fav one has a Blue Tipz blue tooth transmitter that sends an alert to my phone so I am the only one that knows when I get a strike.. I also make my own insulated hole covers.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #88 on: Nov 26, 2017, 01:34 PM »

Offline Capt. j-rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:53 PM »
RE: Gasblaster...Where did you source the spools? They look like fly rod spare spools?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.