Author Topic: Marina fishing.  (Read 1858 times)

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marina fishing.
« on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Has anyone ever had any luck fishing in marinas in the winter time around the docks as they provide a lot of structure? We have a few marinas in my area, been awhile since I've tried them out, but was sort of curious if anybody has just drilled holes and then ran into big schools of fish and if so was there anything specific about the area where the group of fish were compared to the rest of the marina....would love to hear input!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marina fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:26 PM »
i dunno about marinas, but i've done pretty well around docks during early ice.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:09 PM »
I just tried this last night, found some open ice next to the docks. Turned on the Vexilar and fished for awhile. I marked a few fish but nothing was biting. Going to try it again maybe early in the morning to see what happens. I think it is worth a shot and you are safe standing on the docks when the ice is in bad shape.

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Well I'm even saying during winter fish go to structure a lot so obviously marinas have a ton of that built right in...I've not had the chance to go out and drill 1000 holes but I'm sure feeling like it might not be too bad of an idea, who knows maybe it's a huge shot in the dark but isn't that what fishing is all about?

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I watched an episode of babe winkleman where they ice fished a marina and were crushing the browns. I think it eas lake Michigan.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2016, 01:12 PM »
There are a couple I have access to in my area, but they seem to fill up with small perch and bluegills early on through mid-winter. Later, like late March, when you have to stand on the dock and chip out a hole, I've had luck with crappies suspended at about 10' deep fishing in 24' of water, fishing with minnows. Off the bottom is usually still just 4"-5" perch and walleye/sauger about the same size. Also usually catch a few medium sized drum, not on purpose though.

This marina is directly connected to the Mississippi river, so I would imagine if a guy put in some time, you'd find pike, bass, and who knows what else in there.

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Well I'm on the end of the Missouri River but above the dam there's a few marinas all pretty far spaced apart on the river and just thought why not give it a try next year used to fish the one quite a few years ago but didn't do much work popped a few holes and waited but I'm definitely thinking of going hard this next winter! Would love to hear of more people's success or learning curves!

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Poot it is hit and miss but some good fish can be caught . The locals there have lock jaw big time . I will be fishing over that way when the ice goes out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.