The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 2704-22 power shuting down  (Read 1524 times)

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Milwaukee M18 2704-22 power shuting down
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Just purchased a Milwaukee M18 and Paired it with my 8in. Lazer on a clam plate. I have only used it a couple times so far.It seems to cut great, however while cutting I lose power. It is like It is tripping a breaker.It cuts great for the first 8 to 10in. when it starts to labor harder I lose power I let off the trigger then when I press it again power is restored.I have been using it on the #1 power setting with it on drill mode.I have only tried it with one of my 3 new fully charged 5apm hr batteries.Ice has been about 12inches slushy and heavy.  Is this normal ? I am thinking not. Haven't read anything like that in the other threads I have read.Try the other batteries ? Drill defective ? Thanks Youngblood

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Milwaukee M18 2704-22 power shuting down
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:50 AM »
not good! but becoming more common on here as more people start buying it.

to me it sounds like a battery issue. the cut out is in the battery. so try more of the other batteries. if it continues than can you replace it with some thing else?
there have been casting breaking issues and switches not being covered under warranty issues and internal casting parts failing while on a clam plate.

can you tell us more about the bit? size, age, what you used to turn it with? sharp?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Just purchased a Milwaukee M18 and Paired it with my 8in. Lazer on a clam plate. I have only used it a couple times so far.It seems to cut great, however while cutting I lose power. It is like It is tripping a breaker.It cuts great for the first 8 to 10in. when it starts to labor harder I lose power I let off the trigger then when I press it again power is restored.I have been using it on the #1 power setting with it on drill mode.I have only tried it with one of my 3 new fully charged 5apm hr batteries.Ice has been about 12inches slushy and heavy.  Is this normal ? I am thinking not. Haven't read anything like that in the other threads I have read.Try the other batteries ? Drill defective ? Thanks Youngblood

Are the blades sharp on the auger? Shouldn't shut down, I'd return/swap out for a different one.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:30 PM »

can you tell us more about the bit? size, age, what you used to turn it with? sharp?
Older 8in Strikemaster lazer. Blades were 1 year old.They were not cutting very well at the beginning of the season.I touched the blades up by hand with a fine sharpening stone.I cut some holes by hand cut great.Seems very sharp now.Milwaukee M18 2704 is brand new purchased from Home Depot online.Not refurbished or anything.Everything seems to work great other than it shutting down.I raised up on it while drilling to minimize the ice shavings and at break threw to minimize stress on it. I will try the other batteries out to see if that makes a difference.I was trying to do it right the first time that's why I dropped $300 a little disappointed  so far. Thanks for the feed back.       Youngblood

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:50 PM »
The other day I read on here that someone else was having a similar problem. They found out their drill had been accidentally set on hammer drill mode. So double check that. Or maybe the blades you touched up are the problem.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Older 8in Strikemaster lazer. Blades were 1 year old.They were not cutting very well at the beginning of the season.I touched the blades up by hand with a fine sharpening stone.I cut some holes by hand cut great.Seems very sharp now.Milwaukee M18 2704 is brand new purchased from Home Depot online.Not refurbished or anything.Everything seems to work great other than it shutting down.I raised up on it while drilling to minimize the ice shavings and at break threw to minimize stress on it. I will try the other batteries out to see if that makes a difference.I was trying to do it right the first time that's why I dropped $300 a little disappointed  so far. Thanks for the feed back.       Youngblood

Drill setting and number 1.....if it is shutting down with a battery of 4ah+ I'd take it back & swap it. I've never had mine shut down with an 8in bit. So something seems off with the drill. How thick was the ice?

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Was on drill setting and #1 setting.I would say the ice was about 14in. shushy heavy soft ice. That's why I made sure to lift up on it and speed it up to clear the shavings to minimize the drag of  the heavy shavings.Used little to no pressure downward. I think if the blades were the problem I would have had problems drilling by hand.Cut great.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Was on drill setting and #1 setting.I would say the ice was about 14in. shushy heavy soft ice. That's why I made sure to lift up on it and speed it up to clear the shavings to minimize the drag of  the heavy shavings.Used little to no pressure downward. I think if the blades were the problem I would have had problems drilling by hand.Cut great.

Shouldn't have any issue in 14in.....something is wrong for sure....I'd switch it out in a heart beat. My buddy bought a Big Buddy Mr heater and had one side that didn't light up right out of the box.....did a return swap and is good. One thing you don't want to do is start with a lemon........

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:29 AM »
that's great news! homedepot has a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. for any reason return it hassle free. they will ask if any thing is wrong with it is all they ask.
they do this for their online purchases and any tools you buy from them.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:12 PM »
not good! but becoming more common on here as more people start buying it.

to me it sounds like a battery issue. the cut out is in the battery. so try more of the other batteries.
You were 100% right 3300. Took it out today and used one of my other batteries.Worked much better.Chew threw 12 in. of ice like a hot knife threw butter.Hopefully they will just swap out my bad battery. Thanks for your input guys.           Youngblood

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:35 PM »
You were 100% right 3300. Took it out today and used one of my other batteries.Worked much better.Chew threw 12 in. of ice like a hot knife threw butter.Hopefully they will just swap out my bad battery. Thanks for your input guys.           Youngblood

Cool beans....nice job 3300.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:56 PM »
glad to hear it! even if they want the entire kit back, they should do an even exchange with no extra cost.

thanks ag.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.