Author Topic: Flip over power box  (Read 150469 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flip over power box
« Reply #150 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:13 AM »
i added reflectix to my flip roof. i am certain there is some more light, but can't be much more

the led strip are directional enough to not need mirrors/reflection. i added the reflectix for insulation and the lights are PLENTY bright enough on their own. i checked it in my suit case shanty too w/o reflectix

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #151 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:33 AM »
R reflector on the ceiling I can't be the only one to think....disco ball.
go hard or go home

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #152 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:54 AM »
R reflector on the ceiling I can't be the only one to think....disco ball.

WINNER!!!! That, was, AWESOME!!! Guess I know what im getting for my buddy when he finally receives new two man flip!
It is what it is....

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #153 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:51 PM »
interesting thought....  How about putting some type of reflective material on the center of the ceiling of the hub and mounting an LED spot light pointing up in your box.  Then just place the box / spot light under the reflective material and let it scatter the light in the hub.

just a though...  ;D

Q

The inside is a grey color so it might light it up pretty well. I will have to set up in basement and light it up and see how well it does. Don't really want to have to bring any more out than I need.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:46 AM »

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Sep 13, 2014, 07:22 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but how are you guys getting a ground inside the box? Trying to wire mine up and got some I heated sparks  :o  ???

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #156 on: Sep 13, 2014, 07:46 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but how are you guys getting a ground inside the box? Trying to wire mine up and got some I heated sparks  :o  ???

Sounds like you got something crossed ...each accessory you add/use should have a Pos and Neg wire and/or plug or clips ..those should eventually end up connected to the Pos/Neg posts respectively ...do you have a lighted switch ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Sep 13, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Sounds like you got something crossed ...each accessory you add/use should have a Pos and Neg wire and/or plug or clips ..those should eventually end up connected to the Pos/Neg posts respectively ...do you have a lighted switch ?

Yes I have little experience with this, but it have a red/orange switch and an off position (center) each had 2 prongs. I ran them on each side of the orange if that makes sense. So the two prongs in the middle and the two prongs on the red side had nothing attached.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #158 on: Sep 13, 2014, 08:00 AM »
That is where your problem lays ...not sure if the switched is marked (pos/neg)  check that first ..been sometime for me since I hooked up a switch so my information as to exact hook up is fuzzy at best ..but quite certain that where the problem lies ...

who makes the switch ..may be get a wiring diagram from the manufacturer site or via YouTube ?

http://www.12volt-travel.com/knowledgebase/connecting-a-6-terminal-toggle-switch-to-a-dc-motor/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Sep 13, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I use a Power All small compact and you can jump start a Hemi engine with it. Well built comes in a nice case or without for extra savings. Bought mine off Amazon.
http://www.thepowerall.com

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Sep 13, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I believe the center two prongs take the power ..... not an electrician though.
The switch should be breaking the power only.

The switch can run two items in one direction and two items in the other direction ..... I THINK! ???
Again, not an Electrician.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #161 on: Sep 13, 2014, 09:10 AM »

The switch can run two items in one direction and two items in the other direction ..... I THINK! ???

Good ol' test light I think is in order ...along with one power lead .

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Sep 13, 2014, 09:29 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #163 on: Sep 13, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Working on a Power box myself ...think I am forgoing the switch ...don't want to over engineer it ..just an accessory plug and  positive and negative posts ...I am sure the placement of them will lead me to plan for a possible future switch or other adaptors/accessories .

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:17 AM »

Thanks Matt and hard water, that was exactly it. Running perfect now. My lights got here yesterday, and I am trying to install a dimmer, any ideas on how that works?? It's got the output side the input side, and two flaps for the positive and negative terminals on both, but whe I hook it up no lights turn on. I am also wiring two 12v cig lighters for power they have a negative cord and a red cord with a different end as the "positive" again I am having no luck getting it to work.

But on a fun side, this thing is awesome once I have it all wired up. I ran led lights on the outside on the switch and my shanty light will run on the other side of the switch. Just the led.s on the box itself is super bright for those dark nights walleye fishing in the tundra. I can't wait!!! :tipup:

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #165 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:29 AM »
The dimmer I believe should run between the battery and your lights ...should be up solo no other items spliced in between ...do you have a test light ...could test the dimmer ...I believe it should work in on direction only ...your dimmer could be defective ...it is a 12v dimmer ? yes? Not sure what you mean by a different end on your cig lighter plug ....is it a cig lighter or an accessory plug ?

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:31 AM »
The dimmer I believe should run between the battery and your lights ...should be up solo no other items spliced in between ...do you have a test light ...could test the dimmer ...I believe it should work in on direction only ...your dimmer could be defective ...it is a 12v dimmer ? yes? Not sure what you mean by a different end on your cig lighter plug ....is it a cig lighter or an accessory plug ?

I will have to test the dimmer, it's wired properly. One has a terminal clip and the other has a half moon circle on the cig lighter

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #167 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Only other thing I can think of for your  accessory plug is ...the male and female end has to be hooked up properly on the female end I believe the pos is the center ...if that is hooked up properly ..may be your accessory plug is not hooked up properly or defective.

Ps in the process of hooking mine up ..but couldn't locate any terminal ends hope it goes easier for me .

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Sep 14, 2014, 11:28 AM »
FinnHunt3r, are you using the same 6 prong switch to run everything?
If so, how did you hook up the ground on the dimmer?

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Sep 14, 2014, 06:01 PM »
FinnHunt3r, are you using the same 6 prong switch to run everything?
If so, how did you hook up the ground on the dimmer?

No, I haven't been able to figure out the dimmer yet. The six prong right now is running LEDs on the outside of my box and the other side will be running my shanty lights once I get that together. I would like to run the cgi lighter to a separate switch and it's own battery.

Not sure how to hook up the ground? I am thinking I may have an issue with that for the cig lighter. I'm not sure how it works with that.

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Sep 14, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Only other thing I can think of for your  accessory plug is ...the male and female end has to be hooked up properly on the female end I believe the pos is the center ...if that is hooked up properly ..may be your accessory plug is not hooked up properly or defective.

Ps in the process of hooking mine up ..but couldn't locate any terminal ends hope it goes easier for me .

I guess I should mention too that I am not running the accessory plug off the switch.  ???

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #171 on: Sep 14, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I guess I should mention too that I am not running the accessory plug off the switch.  ???

Not sure what the math is with your accessory plug woes ...any chance you can post a pic of the electrical end of the port?

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Not sure what the math is with your accessory plug woes ...any chance you can post a pic of the electrical end of the port?

I'm gonna pick up another one and see if that's the issue, it's just a cheap one from Wally World so I am not surprised if that's not it. I will try to post a pic later this week if that's not the case. How is your box going?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #173 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:07 PM »
How is your box going?

In a holding pattern ...I must have squirreled away my electrical connectors ...so that's on my to get list ...got me a lil worried with the Walmart accessory plug ..just got two for this project . Don't think I am going with a switch as you and others have ..just an accessory plug and Pos and Neg post ..similar in design as the post on Vexilar's ultra pack that will suit my needs .

Offline FinnHunt3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Sep 15, 2014, 06:43 AM »
In a holding pattern ...I must have squirreled away my electrical connectors ...so that's on my to get list ...got me a lil worried with the Walmart accessory plug ..just got two for this project . Don't think I am going with a switch as you and others have ..just an accessory plug and Pos and Neg post ..similar in design as the post on Vexilar's ultra pack that will suit my needs .

See and when I run my cig lighter straight to the battery it's not working. Good luck, let me know how you wired yours and if they are working  ;)

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Sep 15, 2014, 08:55 AM »
The Cig. Lighter may require a relay?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #176 on: Sep 15, 2014, 08:58 AM »
The Cig. Lighter may require a relay?

I was thinking the same thing if its a cigarette lighter port/plug as opposed to an accessory plug/port.

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:03 AM »
I believe an accessory plug/port can go direct to the battery with just an inline fuse.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #178 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Wasn't going to use a fuse ...but guess that's the right thing to do ...adding it to the list ....I am using a larger ammo box so I can store my 9 in green light and 3 foot span of LEDs along with some Velcro cable ties ,zip ties...USB adaptor.. ..and now extra fuses

Offline mattkenzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:31 AM »
A small fuse block (4 fuses) and ground bus may make life easier and keep the accessory leads of the battery.
Although an inline fuse certainly does the same. Not sure which is more economical.
Make a spot for extra fuses.

J_Edwards has them in his Power Box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.