Author Topic: Flip over power box  (Read 150472 times)

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flip over power box
« Reply #120 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:23 PM »

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #121 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:30 PM »
http://www.plastidip.com/

Oh Jeez I should have known that.  Thanks

Will the plastidip bond to the box then or did you still need use hardware of some sort to attach.

Sorry for all the questions. I have been pretty excited ever since I saw this and have been scrounging up parts to make one and just don't want to mess something up.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #122 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Found this and thought it would be pretty cool. Shows temp/clock/volts. Thought it would be nice to know the extra info.

??? is will this work for this application or am I just wasting my time.

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Fahrenheit-Thermometer-Voltmeter-Electronic/dp/B00E7OHM2O/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1391003558&sr=8-23&keywords=temp%2Fvoltage+meter

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:04 AM »
If you feel like you could get use out of the clock and temp go for it.  Its all about making the box to suit your needs.
Make sure you plan out your layout before you buy a bunch of stuff and realize it wont fit in or on the container your using.  Could also turn into a spaghetti mess of wiring.

If it was me, I would just get a voltage meter.  The temp is kind of useless, freezing is freezing.
If you don't have a phone or watch with while out fishing the clock might be nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Anyone using solar to keep the power topped off?

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:06 AM »
i have the same ammo box

mount your vexilar upside down on the inside lid.

the lid is reversible so you can flip it over and wallah!

cheaper than a genz box

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #126 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:15 AM »
If you feel like you could get use out of the clock and temp go for it.  Its all about making the box to suit your needs.
Make sure you plan out your layout before you buy a bunch of stuff and realize it wont fit in or on the container your using.  Could also turn into a spaghetti mess of wiring.

If it was me, I would just get a voltage meter.  The temp is kind of useless, freezing is freezing.
If you don't have a phone or watch with while out fishing the clock might be nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Was just a thought when I saw it. Was kind of curious to how warm my shack could get compared to out side. But you are right, Why put all the bells and whistles on if it is not something that would really be needed.

Just put my Amazon order in for the rest of the stuff I need. Can't wait now. Makes me now feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #127 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Found this and thought it would be pretty cool. Shows temp/clock/volts. Thought it would be nice to know the extra info.

??? is will this work for this application or am I just wasting my time.

http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Fahrenheit-Thermometer-Voltmeter-Electronic/dp/B00E7OHM2O/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1391003558&sr=8-23&keywords=temp%2Fvoltage+meter

Hey that's pretty cool. I might hook that up to my flipover. Would be cool to have an answer when someone says "it feels nice out today". Also be cool to check the time without having to dig my phone out.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:31 PM »
quick question on wiring,

I just bought a 12volt dual cig. lighter port, a wired fuse, and everything else I need.  How do I run the wires for this.  I have a red and a black coming from my dual cig. lighter port, my fuse has an orange wire running to and from it.  Does this connect to the red or black on my cig lighter.  My cig. lighter looks like the red is designed for a ground screw but not sure.  Thanks in advance.

your fuse can go in either path...red wire path  or black wire.path

i usuuslly fuse the red path .

the center pin of your cigarete  lighter will be positive.  or red
the outer diameter of your cigarette lighter is ground or black

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Here is one I am starting on, I like all the others with the ammo boxs. I just like the idea of all in one box. I have two batteries so I put two plugs. One runs lights other runs minnow live well. Or what ever I want. I have a battery volt meter coming ..........waiting..... .....waiting.... ::) 

ld like to find a better charger than my vex charger though. Something more reliable. I have two vex chargers one has little red light that comes on when charged. It takes forever. The other has a red light that turns green when fully charged. Thats kind of what I am looking for.
Gator Nation

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:02 PM »
ld like to find a better charger than my vex charger though. Something more reliable. I have two vex chargers one has little red light that comes on when charged. It takes forever. The other has a red light that turns green when fully charged. Thats kind of what I am looking for.

Looking good!

Check this charger out.  I'm pretty impressed with it.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=281280.msg2914366#msg2914366

Q

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #131 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Looking good!

Check this charger out.  I'm pretty impressed with it.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=281280.msg2914366#msg2914366

Q

Does it charge the battery faster or just as fast as the original. Looks like a nice unit but in the picture looks kind of bulky plugin

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Does it charge the battery faster or just as fast as the original. Looks like a nice unit but in the picture looks kind of bulky plugin

It's a 750mA charger.  Not sure which original you mean but I believe both the Vexilar and Humminbird chargers are 1000mA.

Speed wasn't a deciding factor for me.  If you're looking for fast, fast costs more money. 

What sold me was the stepped charging, the maintainer function, the harness and connectors that come with it, and the price ($30)

Here it is compared to the Humminbird charger.  Size really isn't a problem once it's plugged into a receptacle.

Q

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #133 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:49 PM »
It's a 750mA charger.  Not sure which original you mean but I believe both the Vexilar and Humminbird chargers are 1000mA.

Speed wasn't a deciding factor for me.  If you're looking for fast, fast costs more money. 

What sold me was the stepped charging, the maintainer function, the harness and connectors that come with it, and the price ($30)

Here it is compared to the Humminbird charger.  Size really isn't a problem once it's plugged into a receptacle.

(Image removed from quote.)

Q

Thanks for the update. My original is a vex charger and it has a maintainer already in it as it starts at red and changes to green when charged. So if mine already does 1000ma I will stick with it then I guess. I was just wondering as I am making a power box and wondered with multiple batteries if it would be a little quicker of a charge with multiple batteries.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Great ideas and work fellas!

My box is working great.  I know we have shorter days up here, but I have used mine 3 days straight with no charge, running a speaker, my LEDs and charging my phone multiple times.   I couldn't see any reason for my usage to even bother putting in two batteries.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #135 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Is any one using their box in a hub shack. Wondering what lights you are using. The stick on strip type I am not thinking to work well for me in the application after I received it but was thinking the type inside of the flex tube might work. Love the idea of lights on the box so will plan to use the lights I ordered for that.

Wondering if the lights just put on the box would be enough to light the whole shack and be bright enough. If so that would take away a lot of screwing around setting up lights each time. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Is any one using their box in a hub shack. Wondering what lights you are using. The stick on strip type I am not thinking to work well for me in the application after I received it but was thinking the type inside of the flex tube might work. Love the idea of lights on the box so will plan to use the lights I ordered for that.

Wondering if the lights just put on the box would be enough to light the whole shack and be bright enough. If so that would take away a lot of screwing around setting up lights each time. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated
I bought a strand of lights last year, I didn't pay attention and ordered the non waterproof ones. So I bought 5/8" clear tubing thinking I can feed a string through and then pull the lights through. Well I thought wrong.  ::) Ended up cutting tubing all the way down and fed the strand in that way.  Then I super glued in spots just to keep it in place. I bought a new strand this year and it is water proof. What I am trying to say maybe you can do something like that. Just roll it up when done.
Gator Nation

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #137 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I bought a strand of lights last year, I didn't pay attention and ordered the non waterproof ones. So I bought 5/8" clear tubing thinking I can feed a string through and then pull the lights through. Well I thought wrong.  ::) Ended up cutting tubing all the way down and fed the strand in that way.  Then I super glued in spots just to keep it in place. I bought a new strand this year and it is water proof. What I am trying to say maybe you can do something like that. Just roll it up when done.

I was wondering if that would work, But at the same time what a pain it would be to do it without damaging the lights. Did it take a while to get into the tubing.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #138 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:21 PM »
Yep
Gator Nation

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:30 PM »

Since I don't have a dimmer on my house light I use my box lights a fair amount to light the house when im in 10' of water.  I've watched fish disappear off the sonar when the house lights turned on because they are so bright.
I would think it would do OK at lighting the whole hub shack.  You will have to play with placement inside and light placement on the box to get optimal light bounce.

Offline dman75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Some great idea's.  I have to make one.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #141 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Okay I'm on the band wagon now I'm building mine and I'm going ham Im using a Plano toolbox with two clear trays ontop for tackle  and the wiring will include
2- USB plugs on an interruptible circuit so the resistors don't destroy my batterie
1- 12 car socket
1- clock/thermometer/battery meter
1- set of post with an on off switch not sure I looking for a small slid dimer switch as well
2- hardware tip up alarms
 1- strip of LEDs on the box
1- strip of LEDs for overhead
I'm also considering a small spotlight to be mounted flush with one end
And a 10amp inline blade fuse all soldered then shrink wrapped
If I buy the 10 ft strip can I cut it in half and wire them independent of each other keeping in mind the polarity
And what should I use the attach the vexlar battery and is there some way to wire in two batteries and maintain 12v without a 3 way switch
go hard or go home

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #142 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:50 AM »
Since I don't have a dimmer on my house light I use my box lights a fair amount to light the house when im in 10' of water.  I've watched fish disappear off the sonar when the house lights turned on because they are so bright.
I would think it would do OK at lighting the whole hub shack.  You will have to play with placement inside and light placement on the box to get optimal light bounce.

Are the lights staying attached onto your box ok.

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:07 AM »
I have it sitting next to me on the ice and it lights up everything in front of me good.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #144 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I am looking at trying to set in the center of my 9x9 hub and letting it light the way

Offline MSU AGGIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:04 PM »
How are your lights attached to your frame?  I will use the double sided adhesive that comes with them, but I feel it might loose stickyness in the cold.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #146 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:38 AM »
How are your lights attached to your frame?  I will use the double sided adhesive that comes with them, but I feel it might loose stickyness in the cold.

i use velcro one wrap strips
leave the paper on the back to try to act as an insulator

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #147 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I am looking at trying to set in the center of my 9x9 hub and letting it light the way

interesting thought....  How about putting some type of reflective material on the center of the ceiling of the hub and mounting an LED spot light pointing up in your box.  Then just place the box / spot light under the reflective material and let it scatter the light in the hub.

just a though...  ;D

Q

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #148 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:59 AM »
interesting thought....  How about putting some type of reflective material on the center of the ceiling of the hub and mounting an LED spot light point up in your box.  Then just place the box / spot light under the reflective material and let it scatter the light it the hub.

just a though...  ;D

Q

Just wanted to chime in here..I do remember seeing, somewhere on here, a post about someone using one of those reflective auto-shades and just slipping it between the poles and material in their flip shelter. Wonder if you could use something like that...i saw them for $5 on ebay which included shipping.
It is what it is....

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:03 AM »
There are a couple guys on here that have lined the interior of their shacks with that insulation. Can't remember what its called. But they should know if it is brighter now after they installed it.
Gator Nation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.