Author Topic: Otter XT owner question  (Read 11552 times)

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Otter XT owner question
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Full disclosure - I am and have been a long time hub user. 

I bought an Otter Wild Cabin this December in an effort to become more mobile, and to simplify the "pack up and go" on those cold days.  Assembling that puppy was interesting, no major complications, just time consuming.

Wholesale Sports did not have the right Hyfax kit for the medium sled, so they gave me the one for the magnum sled.  Because Otter uses only one setup to drill their hyfaxes, they will fit perfectly if you cut the right end. 

I have been out a couple times with the Otter now, and I have observed the following:

1.  Boy, this thing is big!  32" X 60" X 18" doesn't sound that big, but it seems massive after toting a Quickfish 2 around.  And 100 pounds plus all of my gear!  I am pretty sure pulling this unit in slush will be a bad thing.

2.  The sled pulls pretty nice, but the included cover does not do a particularly good job of keeping the snow dust out when travelling.  So far, I have only gone on short trips, a couple miles or so, and I would estimate at least a litre of snow inside the sled.  I was hoping for better, this means I will need to cover/package everything I haul fairly securely, or maybe put the sensitive stuff on the snowmobile.

3.  I will wade into the bench vs adjustable swivel seat debate here.  As a disclaimer, I have not used the swivel seat.  I did like the freedom I got to move around with the bench.  Sure, you can adjust the swivel seat to whatever position you like, but with the bench, you can move around without having to adjust anything.  Handy for a quick switch to a different length rod, or just to change the position of your legs after sitting for a while.  Just saying....

4.  There are a couple of things you should know if you plan to make longer trips with this sled.  The bolts that attach the bench to the sled can easily rub holes in the canvas.  You can fold the tent to prevent this, if you know to watch for it.  Obviously, I did not know this.  I modified mine by swapping the cap screws for truss head screws, and removed the top washer.  This change, combined with more attention to how I fold up the tent, should remedy this issue.

Here you can see the difference in the height of the screw heads.  Hopefully the lower profile heads prevent further damage.

Over all, it seems like a nice shack to fish out of (the fishable area is very comparable to my Quickfish 2) and it is amazing how much crap you can take with you.  Some kind of organizational system is definitely going to happen, hopefully sometime soon.  I have been searching through any posts that I can find for ideas on that, lots of good stuff here, just need to see what will work best for me.

Happy New Year!

Offline ironshafts

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otter XT owner question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Thinks for the info. Just ordered a otter thermal will look for the bolt issue.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Though I've got the Otter Cottage, I patched some tears and holes in my canvas with Barge cement and canvas from a fabric store. Through three weeks of fishing so far in -17 F mornings
and 20 mph. winds, It's held up great. I only mention this because they can get worse in time and will be harder to fix. Also you would be surprised how much cold air you can get on the nasty
days.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:07 AM »
I've actually been having problems with the bolts shaking loose on my swivel chairs and the tarp pivot.  I had to deal with this problem last weekend. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Vex-um, I have two Otters and had problems with the self tapping screw backing out also. I used red loctite and went back thru all of the tubes and added the loctite. Haven't had a problem sense. On the seats I used lock washers on all of the bolts. No troubles yet.

Hope that helps.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:09 PM »
There were no self tapping screws on the wild, except for assembling the hoops.  Everything was 1/4" bolts with flat washers and nylock nuts.  Is it the hoop screws that are backing out on yours?

Vex-um, I have two Otters and had problems with the self tapping screw backing out also. I used red loctite and went back thru all of the tubes and added the loctite. Haven't had a problem sense. On the seats I used lock washers on all of the bolts. No troubles yet.

Hope that helps.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Correct, the hoop screws. Just about everyone came loose buy the second trip out. I even had to replace a couple that were lost. I used loctite on them all and haven't had a problem sense. I just got a Pro Cottage this year and put it together using the loctite and its first trip out and nothing was loose. I added lock washers to all of the area that didn't have nylocks or a extra washer to the bolt head side of all of the others. I have a Pro Lodge and a Pro Cottage. The Lodge has been in 40+ mph winds and pulled many miles behind a 4 Wheeler. I think with no exceptions Otter is the best built shelter out there.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Correct, the hoop screws. Just about everyone came loose buy the second trip out. I even had to replace a couple that were lost. I used loctite on them all and haven't had a problem sense. I just got a Pro Cottage this year and put it together using the loctite and its first trip out and nothing was loose. I added lock washers to all of the area that didn't have nylocks or a extra washer to the bolt head side of all of the others. I have a Pro Lodge and a Pro Cottage. The Lodge has been in 40+ mph winds and pulled many miles behind a 4 Wheeler. I think with no exceptions Otter is the best built shelter out there.

Thanks for the tip.  After 3 or 4 short trips, I inspected the screws, about half were loose!  None had fallen out yet, but that would not have taken much longer.  Red locktite on all of them, will keep an eye out for the next little while.

On the bench seat, it is nice for sitting on, but it is always in the road when you need something from the sled.  Going to have to get something done soon in the way of organization in the bottom of that sled, for sure!

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:38 PM »
picked up a new Otter 1200 lodge a few weeks ago, put it together and the front bar doesn't touch the ground, it actually sits up about 4 inches. anyway talked to Otter and the answer was stretch it for a few days should work it self right out, well that was 4 weeks ago.
last week i finally talked them into sending a new tent for it and the new one has the same problem. again stretch it out was the answer
has anyone had this issue and will it stretch out like they say. last years model i fished from didn't need stretching

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I just bought and put together the 1200 Lodge last week and it went together great. No problem with the front support going all the way down to the floor or ground. Do you have it connected to the front lower studs and the sled bracket?
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Make sure the sled is facing the correct position. I had that same problem on my wild 1 man. Took everything apart, swapped directions of the sled and sure enough it worked.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:09 PM »
my 1200 cabin came friday and i got it put together Saturday mines no 4 inches but it does sit up i saw posts on here for awhile about the front bar not touching and saw the whole stretch it out talk and i saw where people were saying otter was goin to address the topic but i guess it hasn't been fixed let me know what you come up with oh and make sure if your grandpa decides to jump in it and try out the seats he sits on the port side or he might tip over.... at least i know the frames tough lol

Offline harleyharry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Trump

Take another look at the instructions for the set up. Last years instructions were incorrect and I believe the second and third poles are in the wrong place. Look closely at the parts break down and read the instructions and I think you will see a conflict. I had the exact same problem. The front sets about three of four inches off of the ground. By carefully looking at the poles, you will see a minor difference.

Hope this helps.

Harry

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2013, 11:15 PM »
so should i try a swap on poles 2 and 3? if its that then 1 being the very back 2 should be shorter than 3

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2013, 03:16 AM »
We actually took it back where we bought it and they messed with it for an hour and ended up replacing the sled as the first one was warped but the problem still exists. Tonigh I am going to take the frame from my other lodge shanty and put it in this one to see if the frame may be different, it's the only thing we haven't replaced yet

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Make sure to put the bracket for the telescoping poles far enough forward.  I had the same issue with mine last year.  I ended up moving it an inch or so forward and that solved the problem, along with use that stretched out the fabric.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:31 PM »
well we stretched the armstrong out of it and its getting better, in fact a lot better than the first one ever did after several days,
didn't try the frame switch, but still may try it this weekend if the old one is not sold yet

Offline harleyharry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I cannot find my instructions from last year, so I am not sure which poles I had to switch. I had the exact same problem that you have. Look at the written instructions, and study the parts listing for the poles. I believe the written instructions are incorrect. I figured this out by checking the lengths that were listed in the parts descriptions of the parts. When I got the unit assembles, I noticed that I had to duck to miss the bar above the door and the tent covering would hit my hat when I went in and out of the door.  If I remember correctly, as I do not have mine out yet, the bar above the door is longer than the one on the floor. This was a common problem that a lot of owners ran into last season when assembling the units by following the instructions in the manual.

Harry.

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:19 AM »
Hi all,
I assembled mine last night and I have a few question. Wind bar, do you use them all the time or only when it get really windy? Also, is there a way to keep the cover half way up for the those sunny days that don't required the heater and let you enjoy the scenery? Thanks

Seabast

Btw, the hut was easy to assemble, the instruction were correct and all the parts there. I got the cabin size and it's bigger than I thought.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:36 AM »
I'm not familiar with Otter shelters on my Frabill I have a bracket that slides to support the front hoop preventing it from folding down ....for the wind break position ....this video of an Otter appears to use the rear support pole for that purpose.     
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:41 AM »
Hi all,
I assembled mine last night and I have a few question. Wind bar, do you use them all the time or only when it get really windy? Also, is there a way to keep the cover half way up for the those sunny days that don't required the heater and let you enjoy the scenery? Thanks

Seabast

Btw, the hut was easy to assemble, the instruction were correct and all the parts there. I got the cabin size and it's bigger than I thought.

No and yes.  ;D  Hardly ever use the wind braces.  I carry them in my truck and transfer to the sled only on windy days.
Use the one brace from the sled to the first crossbar and then fold the other crossbars back to it = open shelter with wind block.  ;)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I use them because they help keep the front of the tent down.

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:39 PM »
No and yes.  ;D  Hardly ever use the wind braces.  I carry them in my truck and transfer to the sled only on windy days.
Use the one brace from the sled to the first crossbar and then fold the other crossbars back to it = open shelter with wind block;)
Thanks, I will try this out tonight.

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:44 PM »
picked up a new Otter 1200 lodge a few weeks ago, put it together and the front bar doesn't touch the ground, it actually sits up about 4 inches. anyway talked to Otter and the answer was stretch it for a few days should work it self right out, well that was 4 weeks ago.
last week i finally talked them into sending a new tent for it and the new one has the same problem. again stretch it out was the answer
has anyone had this issue and will it stretch out like they say. last years model i fished from didn't need stretching

I put my 1200 together last night and didn't have this issue, the bottom bar lay on the ground. Now in your case, I'm wondering if the bar was touching before you install the tent or not. If he did, the tent is the issue, so maybe the pivot brackets should be move forward or the tent is too short. If it wasn't touching, well it has to be the bar himself, maybe not the correct length or not bend enough. I hope you get fix quick though.

Seabast

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:45 PM »
I bring the windbar along, I think I've used it may 3 times in 3 years.

Offline William H Bonney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Terribly old thread, I know, I get it, lol.  I'm having the same issue with a "new to me", Otter Wild Cottage, with the front bar lifting up. Wondering if anyone has a link to the actual assembly directions on this shack?

Thanks in advance.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Terribly old thread, I know, I get it, lol.  I'm having the same issue with a "new to me", Otter Wild Cottage, with the front bar lifting up. Wondering if anyone has a link to the actual assembly directions on this shack?

Thanks in advance.

Set the shelter up on a flat surface. Remove the molding that holds the tent to the sled, that front bar should go down to the ground. Refasten the tent with the molding to the sled. Make sure that front bar stays down. I like to set something heavy on it while I fasten the tent.

Offline davearnold5511

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Due to the high winds in eastern Montana, I always use the wind support poles. The adjustable front pole ensures the front hoop stays down on the ice.

I step on the hoop, attached the pole and extend it as far as I can, then tighten it up. Takes all the slack out of the front of the tent and makes the door easier to unzip when you are rushing out to catch a tip up or jaw jacker. I position the pole just to the right of the zipper.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.