Author Topic: Red wigglers  (Read 2672 times)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Red wigglers
« on: Sep 22, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Anyone around here ever try these type of worms for ice fishing ?

I bought a couple thousand of these on line for a composting project last spring, and now they have made many thousands of little worms, and i am running out of room in my bins :-\
so now i am thinking its gonna be a worm winter, if anyone else has had luck with these in the past.
Maybe chum with them ?

james

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
Re: Red wigglers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2009, 10:28 PM »
 nope cant say i have james although i've thrown the pink wiggler down a few holes in my day  ;D ;D sorry i couldn't resist lol

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2009, 10:37 PM »
nope cant say i have james although i've thrown the pink wiggler down a few holes in my day  ;D ;D sorry i couldn't resist lol

This is a G rated site. :laugh:

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2009, 03:02 AM »
My father in law raises them for his tropical fish (PRO breeder) and for composting.Me and the kids are never short on kibby bait.Cant imagine why they wouldn't work as chum or bait through the ice.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:40 AM »

LOL  ::)

My father in law raises them for his tropical fish (PRO breeder) and for composting.Me and the kids are never short on kibby bait.Cant imagine why they wouldn't work as chum or bait through the ice.

Thanks Mike ;D

They look like a rainbow might enjoy them.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:12 PM »
they look about the right size for crappie, too :tipup:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2009, 10:44 AM »
they look about the right size for crappie, too :tipup:

Thanks for the tip rockhound,i may try that this weekend.

james

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Anyone around here ever try these type of worms for ice fishing ?

I bought a couple thousand of these on line for a composting project last spring, and now they have made many thousands of little worms, and i am running out of room in my bins :-\
so now i am thinking its gonna be a worm winter, if anyone else has had luck with these in the past.
Maybe chum with them ?

james
you need to put them in your garden,i mean they are great perch bait they will help airate your soil i mean the gills love them, they will brood stock for the compost bins next year,i mean go head and use them next year is a long way away hot pile or cold   lol    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:20 AM »
you need to put them in your garden,i mean they are great perch bait they will help airate your soil i mean the gills love them, they will brood stock for the compost bins next year,i mean go head and use them next year is a long way away hot pile or cold   lol    mo

They wont survive the winter up here in the ground. because they pretty much live on the surface.
according to the website that i bought them from, they can only take a couple of frosts before they croak.

right now i have them in rubbermaid containers inside.
but when the Mrs gets wind of this, they might end up in the garden after all lol.

james

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2009, 11:29 AM »
i started two bins this year and put a couple tons of compost and manure in a raised bed 10'X20' :o little worms when i started now thousands, your a lot farther north im still harvesting tomatoes peppers eggplants beans was close to 80 yesterday im torn betwwen fresh veggies and icefishin   oh well come on ice    lol   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I have caught rainbows and brook trout on those little guys through the ice on days when they just wouldn't hit anything else.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Got a picture of one of my compost piles.  Yard waste ($0), kitchen/food waste ($0), and a couple hundred dead minnows (priceless$).

P.S.  Used wood palletts to make bin ($0)

MO

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Got a picture of one of my compost piles.  Yard waste ($0), kitchen/food waste ($0), and a couple hundred dead minnows (priceless$).

P.S.  Used wood palletts to make bin ($0)

(Image removed from quote.)
MO

Sweet setup you have there ;D if that were mine i would have a giant pumpkin growing out of that bin ;) thats why i started this project, i am hoping for a thousand pounder next year.

The castings the worms make are like gold in the garden.

james

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.