Author Topic: Michiana Shanty 2  (Read 99463 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Michiana Shanty 2
« Reply #90 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Thank's, The grand opening is going to be Saturday. Will be posting pictures of it on the ice :woot: :woot: :woot:

Don't forget to post some in the shanty contest thread this bad boy has winner written all over it.   ;)2

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #91 on: Jan 09, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Don't forget to post some in the shanty contest thread this bad boy has winner written all over it.   ;)2
We will see? I have to wait one more day to go fishing and get those pictures of it on some ice. My water pump went out, so instead of fishing all day I am working on the Van and the shanty at the same time. Still should be a relaxing day, I hope! I do have a friend that will fish with me tomorrow. Once I get this shanty going I will probably fish everyday till ice out. I am just glad that the water pump didn't go out on one of my road trips. I sometimes travel 375 miles one way to fish.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #92 on: Jan 09, 2010, 07:27 AM »
 Be real nice ifya could video the drag out and set up . I`m sure that would be the best way for people to see exactly how it transforms from drag mode to fish mode. An outstanding piece of craftmanship, looking forward to sum pics of ya enjoying it on the ice. Hope yer water pump goes smoothly.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:12 PM »
The water pump is off! Now going back together. I will get some videos up as soon as I can. Thanks

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Water pump is working, no leaks! ;D  I did some work on the shanty also. made some new latches for the front wall, I didn't care for the bungee cord idea I had. I seam to forget that the last shanties I built took years of refining, or tweaking. I wanted this one to work right the first time out. I see now it is not possible, I am always coming up with better ways to do something and changing things.

I did take it out yesterday ;D ;D ;D  So let me tell you of my first trip.  I got to the lake, found a good place to park with the trailer. I pulled the shanty out and was surprised by how easy it pushed by hand. I had no idea it was going to come in handy later. I hooked up to the four wheeler hooked the sled to the back of shanty and started going out. It was eight degrees but I still ran into a bunch of slush and sank in about 6 or 7 inches. I finally got stuck and had to get off the four wheeler and lift it out of the slush and set it on some harder ice. I moved the shanty over and hooked up again. I might of moved 10 feet and sunk in again. I decided to try to just spin the tires to see if I could make it go, even if it would be slow going. As I was spinning the tires, I got it to move about three foot, then I looked down at the left wheel spinning, and it just stopped turning. I thought I may have snapped the chain, or broke something else, but it was the tubeless tire that came off the bead. Now I am about 40 or 50 yards off shore and I am not going anywhere. I disconnected the four wheeler and was able to let it run by itself and headed back to the van to put it back in. Then I walked back to the shanty and pushed it another 300 yards out by hand. It wasn't too bad the snow was maybe an inch deep. I don't think I would want to push it too far in 4 inch snow?
So it set up quick. I was worried about heating a larger shanty so I used two 2 mantle lanterns. I sat in a T-shirt most of the day. If was awesome! ;D ;D  Better than I thought it would be ;D The only other thing that messed up was my camera battery was dead. So no video yet! I only took three pictures :(
Here is the Grand Opening Picture of me standing with my shanty. There were 15 to 20 guys on the lake, and not one came over to check out the shanty. Funny isn't it?

It sure was worth the wait ;D ;D

One other thing. I thought the large door would be a problem opening and closing letting all of the heat out. It didn't hurt a thing, I could open it, then close it and it would warm right back up again. I am glad I made a bigger door now!

Offline Pork Rind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Man that is a good looking shack.   :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap:   :icefish:
Pork Rind

Clam Pro Staff, Vexilar Pro Staff, Lure Lipstick Pro Staff, Aqua-Vu Pro Staff

Offline deperchslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:30 AM »
awesome shack  ;D

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Totally cool shelter. It has been fun watching you as the shelter come together. Now time for you to catch some fish out of it. Good Luck and you can count on me coming over to check it out if I run into you on the ice. Fish On!

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Very nice ;D

Offline polartippah

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "TroyTMG" on MYFishFinder.com
« Reply #99 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Awesome shanty.  I enjoyed reading about your progress and hope you catch many fish.

Offline stonecat76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:14 AM »
That is one heck of a Cadillac shack!! You go my vote very great craftsmanship. Glad to see someone still takes pride in there work. How well do your shanties handle going over uneven and unlevel snow and drifts. Have you had them tip over while pulling them. What do you do if you have sagging ice with water on top after drilling. This is a problem I have just encountered and had to make a 6" box to keep my feet out of the water there is 14" of ice 2' of snow has this effect. I've been working on my shanty to remake for next year if its ok with you i would like to use some of your ideas on the reman of my shack. Any advice on some problems possibly through the spring and summer would be greatly appreciated.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:20 AM »
That is one heck of a Cadillac shack!! You go my vote very great craftsmanship. Glad to see someone still takes pride in there work. How well do your shanties handle going over uneven and unlevel snow and drifts. Have you had them tip over while pulling them. What do you do if you have sagging ice with water on top after drilling. This is a problem I have just encountered and had to make a 6" box to keep my feet out of the water there is 14" of ice 2' of snow has this effect. I've been working on my shanty to remake for next year if its ok with you i would like to use some of your ideas on the reman of my shack. Any advice on some problems possibly through the spring and summer would be greatly appreciated.

First let me answer some of your questions. The uneven snow issue is a problem for most shacks. It take a little common sense to motaite across the bumps or hills encountered. I have used this type of shanty for years, and I am still learning. The way it folds, the walls are exposed to sideways objects. As long as your are pulling straight it will ride over anything, or up and down hills.
I will be honest, I have had my two man ones blow over in high winds while towing. I did learn that if I put my two man shanties bottom to bottom, (had to make the sled on opposite side) I then had no problem with the wind or tipping. Pulled two of them down the road to the lake once, about 2 miles with a friends Polaris Ranger.
I pull both with a 125 4 wheeler. The one you are looking at has a wider track and has not tipped over yet. I only used it two times though, but I don't think it will.
I made my shanty to sit on top of the snow to eliminate the problem of the water. I don't shovel out a place, I sit on top of the snow. My floor is only on 2x2's   which are one and a half inches thick. the flooring is plywood five sixteenth inch thick.
When you get ready to fix yours up I will help if you need it!

Offline stonecat76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I think I'll need all the help i can get. It will not go unappreciated. My granddad always said listen boy you might learn something before you do it. ;)
My grand parents lived in Goshen before one passed and the other moved back to the reservation

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Believe it or not my Van broke down again. I couldn't fish all weekend :'( I did some work on the shanty in the driveway. Made good use of the time off. Hooked up wires and my electric equipment. I made some lights using 12 volt 50 watt bulbs from Walmart. Less than two dollars each. I ended up taking all of the camera and wiring out of the old shanty.
Should get the van running tonight, my parts are in. special order. Be on the lake by the middle of the week. Hope everybody else is fine.

I mounted the camera to be removed, because crappie fishing at night I don't use it.

I was mounting it this way but the wires and battery were bugging me.

Was nice to fish the night bite. Couldn't break the 9 inch size bracket. :'( Next time! ;D

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:50 AM »
That is one good looking shanty! Sorry to here about the van. I can't wait to see that shanty in person!

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Looks amazing, It really came together.  At first I was like how is that a shanty and not its awesome.  Great Job

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:07 AM »
Got the van fixed ;D ;D ;D  Looks like I will be fishing a first annual Crystal Lake Contest this Sat.

Offline Trapperdirk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I will live and die laying down hard ,cold steel .
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:58 PM »
You Sir are a craftsman and a genius . The ingenuity and thought you have put into this shanty is mindboggling to me and I used to build for a living . My many thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and thoughts as your build has been unfolding . Congrats and my hat is off to you .

bb
The bush is not just  a passion but in my soul.

TD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:59 AM »
You Sir are a craftsman and a genius . The ingenuity and thought you have put into this shanty is mindboggling to me and I used to build for a living . My many thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and thoughts as your build has been unfolding . Congrats and my hat is off to you .

bb
Thank you for noticing. Several of my friends and acquaintances have told me I should build them and sell them. But I am an Icefisherman first. I don't want to build when it is time to fish. I am also a Cancer survivor. So I know that time is precious. I have seen to many guys die before anyone knew how they did what they did. Keeping their secrets with them to the grave. I decided to help other fisherman to have a better outlook on their hobby, and share my ideas with the world. I have had some even say that my ideas are patentable. So what! I am not going to lose sleep over someone steeling am idea or two. I could be dead by then? No man knows his hour. Lord willing this won't be my last shanty anyway.  Thanks all!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Some updated pictures of it in use.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Looks good!!!!

Now post this one in the Ultimate Shanty thread!!!

As well as some of the construction pics.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Did you see my windsock? I put a light on top. I used one of those driveway (solar rechargeable) kind. I found them at Lowe's for less then five bucks each. I also put one beside the door. I just toss them in the bucket when I am done fishing. I have to pull the batteries out if I leave them in the dark, so I have been leaving them to light up at night by the kitchen sink window.

OK. I am going fishing in the AM I will have pictures Monday Morn for the Ultimate Shanty. I also would like to post a video. Folding Up or down. Do I paste it the same as a picture? Or do I have to do it different? I tried one the other day and it didn't work :'(

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #112 on: Feb 05, 2010, 02:25 PM »
For the video, just paste a link to the page it's on.
When you go to post to the board click on the little picture of the earth above the smilies on the posting form. This will create opening and closing tags in the reply form. Paste the URL between those tags.

I'm not sure how to embed the video in the page here.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:57 AM »
I am going to try to post a video. Lets see if it works?

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=MVI_3206.flv

Shows how easy it pushes.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #114 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:02 AM »
Yup, it works.. ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:18 AM »
I have some pictures of it folding.

This strap holds both halves together.

Holding both in front.

Unstrapped dropping down.

This is the hinges working.

On the ground ready to put up.

Set center spar to here.

Now connect to front wall.

Now lift the spar and two walls.

Now lift end wall in place.

Now the door and your done.

I used a solar driveway light beside my door.

I also put a light on top of the pole for the windsock. I found the windsock at a flea market. The pole is from a banner stand.

A few pictures from last weekend.

I have some more video, but its on another new camera and I need to figure out how to download. My computer says I can only use one camera at a time? I will figure it out and put them up as soon as I can.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Here is another attempt of posting a video with the new camera.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=Shanty.flv

I hope this explains the operation better. I know that it was confusing to most about how it all came together. Now that I know how do some video I can answer you questions easier. ENJOY! ;D

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 08, 2010, 01:31 PM »
that is the most impressive shanty i have ever seen. the craftmanship that went into it is incredible. i told think i can give you enough credit on this build. my hat is off to you! enjoy your time fishing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:08 AM »
that is the most impressive shanty i have ever seen. the craftmanship that went into it is incredible. i told think i can give you enough credit on this build. my hat is off to you! enjoy your time fishing.
Thanks.  I have noticed my time on the ice has increased not the number of fish :'( I spent the night in it  twice this season so far. I seem to be too comfortable too worry about it.  ;D ;D

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:03 PM »
That is the ultimate ice fishermans' RUBIK CUBE. AWESOME!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.