Author Topic: Just got stationed in RI.  (Read 1426 times)

Offline dcarr239

• IceShanty Rookie
Just got stationed in RI.
« on: Sep 12, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I'm from FL and just got stationed in RI ...as I understand it NH isn't too far away. Some googling has led me to understand I can fish for Muskie, Pike, and Walleye in NH. Those are 3 fish I have always wanted to catch but in FL ... I can't.

I'm not asking anyone to give away their secret spot ... but can someone please point me in the right direction where I can have a good chance of landing either of those.

Thanks in advance!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Just got stationed in RI.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2009, 12:23 PM »
There's good ice fishing in Rhode Island and Massachusetts as well. PM me once the ice hits and we'll get together.

Offline dcarr239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2009, 12:33 PM »
There's good ice fishing in Rhode Island and Massachusetts as well. PM me once the ice hits and we'll get together.

Hey I really appreciate that. I will most definitely PM you once the ice hits. I'm not used to snow and ice so I'm not sure when that will be but I'm sure I'll notice it happens lol. Again thanks.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2009, 03:59 PM »
I'm from FL and just got stationed in RI ...as I understand it NH isn't too far away. Some googling has led me to understand I can fish for Muskie, Pike, and Walleye in NH. Those are 3 fish I have always wanted to catch but in FL ... I can't.

I'm not asking anyone to give away their secret spot ... but can someone please point me in the right direction where I can have a good chance of landing either of those.

Thanks in advance!

Here's some info. from the NHF&G.
http://www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/News_2004/News_2004_Q2/Pike_042204.htm

http://wildnh.com/Fishing/Fishing_Reports/Fishing_Reports_2008/fishing_report_092508.html

Go to there website and search out Pike & Walleyes. As winter get closer more people will be visiting the board also.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2009, 05:35 PM »
the connecticut river is probably your best bet......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline dcarr239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Again thanks for the info! What exactly would I find in the CT River? All 3? Or 1 or 2?

Offline dcarr239

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Another question I completely forgot about which is pretty important is rod and reel. I only brought 2 setups up here with me, 1 is an ultralight I use for bass and I figure thats a no go lol. The other is a Bass Pro combo I put together links below. Rod is a medium reel is the 4000 model.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90406_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98312_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0

I use that when fishing the FL flats, I've caught redfish, tarpon, trout, snook, cuda just about everything there is there including 3 to 4 foot black tip sharks.

I'm assuming this should work for pike, muskie, and walleye not sure though.

I'm much more accustomed to spinning reels and I'm trying not to buy a new setup as I usually spend 200+ when I do.

Can't justify it for something I'll only be doing for a year or so.

Thanks again!

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Those don't appear to be icefishing setups.  The reel should work, but you need a shorter rod (20-24").  If you are going for northerns and eyes, try a medium-light action rod or medium.  You should be able to find a decent one for 20-30 bucks, maybe less.  When you go back to FL, just list it on ebay.  8)
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.