Author Topic: GPS Poll  (Read 895 times)

Offline bobbybass

• IceShanty Rookie
GPS Poll
« on: Sep 03, 2009, 11:55 AM »
OK i have been looking for a gps that will be good for both car and outdoors.  I want one that i can use on the ice to save hot spots and have maps of shore lines but i want one the will be good in the car maybe voice prompts so i don't crash trying to look at the screen.  so the questions are

1.   Do you have a gps and use it for icefishing

2.   IF yes what type and are you happy with it.

3.   Are there any would you stay away from buying.

Thanks Guys and the farmer's almanac calls for a bitter cold winter so can't wait for the hard stuff.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: GPS Poll
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 04:26 PM »
We just hashed through this subject a few weeks ago. Check out this thread, it has a ton of good info. :)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=117480.0

Also, wade through our icefishing with electronics board.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Garmin and Lowrance both make a crossover unit that will take lake chips and do turn by turn in your car. I am unfamiliar with the Lowrance unit, but the Garmin unit is called the Nuvi.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2009, 07:11 PM »
I have a Garmin Venture HC.....and I love it for ice fishing, i mark drop off, weed lines, ect in the summer, and it gets me within 5 feet of my mark on  the ice.

This one gets great signal, compared to some other units, and is very user friendly.

I got it at dicks sporting goods for 170$. It came with US topo software, which has all the lakes,rivers,streams,contour lines, boat ramps, camping areas in the whole us. also came with all the computer cords, a beld case.

Has 24 MB of storage, I can get 98% of Maine on the internal memory card.

They were on sale for 100$ the day after Thanksgiving last year. 

It is very accurate on the road, but is designed for the outdoors. I would highly recomend this unit. 
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2009, 01:07 PM »
I use an H2Oc for both soft and hard water.   
I mark structure for future reference and fish I catch to watch trends(hot spots). 
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:51 AM »
yes.  I have a Lowrance 7200c I use to mark waypoints during open water.  then I use an older handheld to find them on the hardwater.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I also have a Lowrance H20 and love it.  Fairly inexpensive and reliable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.