Author Topic: Frustrated Minnow Hunter  (Read 10101 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Frustrated Minnow Hunter
« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Got my new tank setup all built-mocked up. Then I tore it down and packed it up for the move.  Sign the paperwork and move this week coming up, apparently there were sum problems with the well, like the pump died!  When I`m in and abit settled , I`ll setup the new tank/s and snap sum pics. Then it`s off to scout new spots to add to the list. I bought a GPS-GarminLegendEtrex and I have been marking my winter spots when I`m out in the boat . Also using it to mark traps I drop in the dark to make sure I can find em when I return. It`s great for finding streams and small ponds to prospect. I have Inland Lakes and Maps on it, which shows depth contours on sum ,but not all lakes. A good tool not only for soft and hardwater fishin, but also for minnow trappin!
---------------------------------
Just gut the call-house is ready ,sign papers and move this weekend -pics of tank etc soon to follow!!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jun 26, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Had a lil time on my hands past few days cuz of all the rain , so I got sum prospecting time in. Tried 4 new places- 2 were dead ends , nuthing at all in trap. 1 was a crayfish bonanza! With 2 traps I caught at least 50-70 crayfish and nuttin else! I struck gold in the last one- but only a few pieces. Couple of 5-6 inch goldies. I`ll add the place to my GPS and hit it again with multiple traps in the fall. Healthy buggers they were too! Gathered up my traps and beat feet for home. 1 day -4 spots-1 probable producer , not bad , not bad. Moving over the weekend and then its back at it, prospecting for gold ! DERs GOLD in DEM DER HILLS ,BOYZ!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Ahh, aint moving a blast!?!
 Hopefully never again! Set up my tanks at the new place. Been catching creekchubs outta the river next to the house. Biguns around 6-8 inches! Gut 10 so far in top tank- using one of my homemade icerods w/ a lil tiny wooden pencil bobber and a tiny berkely maggot. Also have a dozen goldies in the bottom tank. Water is dark green because of the recent water change w/ FinerShiner added. 

I`m running a 550gph pond pump and twin aerators with 14inch airstones(one in each tank) top tank also has benifit of a spraybar and bottom tank benefits from cascading water from filter media (fiberglass insulation)

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:06 PM »
Nice setup DasRottweiler.  I wish I had something like that for the winter.  Unfortunately we have to buy certified bait here in NY.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2009, 02:49 PM »
DasRottweiler
You sure that's not for making moonshine?

Just kidding, looks great
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jul 22, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Hey Thumbar, we should hook up and fish BIP together this winter, I `ll provide the bait, thou we should grab sum eggs for the trout no?

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2009, 06:28 AM »
Sounds great, anytime. I plan to hit it  in the next couple weeks and later this fall for open water.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:04 AM »
i tosses out a clover leaf and let it soak over night nothing... i tossed it on the out side of the reeds and the next morning the trap was so heavy i could bearly lift it!! key to getting minnows is putting traps by weeds

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Hey Das,

I checked out your bait tank set up. Very interesting but I'm alittle confused.
How are you feeding the top tank with water and then filtering the water back to the bottom tank? I couldn't see it too clearly.

Awesome looking set up. Nice job Das!
JIGGIN.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2009, 07:24 PM »
 TY -Water is pumped up from rear of 55 gallon tank w/ 550gph submersible pond pump mounted inside and to the rear of bottom 55 gal tank. I drilled a hole for the hose in the top of the 55 gal tank in the back and fed it up to the top where it enters a hole drilled in front of 35 gallon tank . It is attached to spray bar inside 35 tank. Comes up from rear of 55 gal tank and crosses front of 35 gal tank where I wiretied the airlines on. The 35 gal tank has a pipe mounted to it where the top of the tank drains to prevent overfill to the filter basket on top of the 55 tank.Pipe has a sponge filter on inside of 35 gallon tank also to aid in filtering bigger junk out.Also keeps dead bait from clogging outlet and making top tank overfill and then overflow!  Pipe drains into a pool strainer basket with fiberglass insulation as filter media and then empties clean water to bottom tank.I then drain about 5 gal outta top tank and 10 outta bottom tank once a week to remove ammonia (pee). That`s why I put the faucet hookups on each tank. Got it now? It`s just a bit hard to see (can`t see rear of 55 tank at all in pics)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jul 24, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Went baitfishing in the river by the house. Caught 7 more creekchubs to toss in the top tank for winter!
They all seem to be of the same size range- 5-7 inches, but I caught this drag puller with em!

About 9 1/2 inches of lunkah hunting bait rite there boy!

Couple of 7 inchers for the tank-

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #41 on: Jul 25, 2009, 02:50 PM »
Thanks Das!

I understand how you have it set up now. Very nice. I have a similar set up but without the top tank. I thought about adding a top tank for smelt but haven't done it yet.
How much bait can you hold for the winter in your set up? Do you have a heater to keep it from freezing? I assume your fishing for pike and such using the bait you have or do you fish for lakers too?

I have a kerosene monitor heater that I run just above freezing. It's nice on those very cold mornings to be able to run out to a warm shed and pick through your fresh bait before heading out ice fishing.

Thanks again Das!
JIGGIN.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jul 25, 2009, 04:36 PM »
 This is my first year trapping and keeping minnows for the hardwater season. I hope to keep some 6-8" creekchubs (which I have never used b4 for bait but seem super hardy/rugged) and Golden and pond shiners. May try sum laker fishing this season, mostly target largemouth , smallmouth for fun and crappie, white and yella perch for the table. Gonna grab two submersible heaters and set em just above 32*F ,one in each tank. I have several electric space heaters but am reluctant to use em because of cost and fire hazard. Don`t wanna cook the bait!
I should be alrite with the tank heaters. I am insulating the area where the tank is in the shed with fiberglass insulation in between the studs and then I`m putting 1/2 foam 4x8 ft sheets over that. Hopefully that`ll help retain whatever heats the shed makes during the day and assist in keeping the tank from freezing up. Was thinkin I might wrap the tanks with insulation too. Just gutta find sumthing that is ok with getting wet.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #43 on: Jul 25, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Please keep me (us) posted on how you make out this year with your bait tank set up. Trick is to keep it just above freezing so your bait goes "dormant"  that way they don't create alot of ammonia. I use ammonia chips in my filters too and don't feed em.

Nice set up,
JIGGIN.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jul 25, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Surethang and thanx again

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Aug 15, 2009, 06:08 PM »
I did a post this past winter about minnow trapping. i love seeing other newhampshirans trapping their own bait its great. is anyone is having trouble thge type of trap is the biggest cause of not catching bait. thoes walmart tube traps are ok but dont catch much. the clover leaf and my collumn traps are absoultly deadly for bait. keep the posts comming. i want to see pics of lots of bait in the tank

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Aug 15, 2009, 06:55 PM »
I did a post this past winter about minnow trapping. i love seeing other newhampshirans trapping their own bait its great. is anyone is having trouble thge type of trap is the biggest cause of not catching bait. thoes walmart tube traps are ok but dont catch much. the clover leaf and my collumn traps are absoultly deadly for bait. keep the posts comming. i want to see pics of lots of bait in the tank

Have a pic of those traps?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #47 on: Aug 17, 2009, 09:16 AM »
I haven't had much luck with the black mesh shiner traps. I have much better luck with the galvanized shiner traps for some reason. Did a side by side test last year and was amazed between the difference.
Nice looking shiners Das! I go after the redfin shiners pretty much and the biggest suckers I can get. All for laker (and cusk) fishing. I built my sucker traps to regulations specs with the help of a friend (Laker Taker) welding the tube frame for me.
I try to get enough bait to keep me and a few friends supplied as near mid season around here you start to see the bait getting smaller at the bait stores. Whatever I have left at the end of the season, I put out for our get together as free bait for everyone to use up.

Sometimes a 100 watt light bulb will work to keep the top of your tank from freezing but again, that's electricity =  money.

Another month'ish or so to start trapping.
JIGGIN.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Aug 25, 2009, 10:59 AM »

any pics of the column traps?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Aug 25, 2009, 11:57 AM »
any pics of the column traps?

PLZ pm Geo for pics , info on his traps, if yer interested or do a search for traps etc.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Sep 07, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Do you have spec's on the 55 gallon drums? I have a few that can be used and shared if you live near Lynn Mass. Just a good rinse and they will be ok. Would like to find a good shinner pond. Only interested in the small ones. You guys can keep the big stuff for your pikes etc. Hate to keep running to the bait stores down here. Get's expensive too!

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Sep 09, 2009, 10:39 PM »
I missed your photo's. I see what you have now. As for pumps try Pondmaster submersable types. Very cheap to run. Use them in my fish ponds all summer. They range from 200 to 1200 gph. Little Giant are good too. Thanks for the photo's and now I have ta find some shiner ponds. Remember as a kid we used to hit the marsh and get hundreds of chubs on a tide change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.