baxter
« on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:33 PM »
anybody had any luck on baxter lately ? ??? :o :o :o ;D

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
Re: baxter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:07 PM »
where the hell is it anyway, if james is right i need to do some larry fishing there this summer

Catch A Buzz

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:13 PM »
where the hell is it anyway, if james is right i need to do some larry fishing there this summer

Farmington

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:28 PM »
ten rod road to four rod road.......off of route 16......it use to be an old apple orchard in the day.....lots of old stumps.......basically, one big flat....not alot of depth changes......great place for a spinnerbait or lipless.....something that can cover some water.....be careful with the ramp.....brand new, but if your tires go off the end of the new cement ramp you are screwed....happened to me last fall and i had to go in the water to pick up the end of the trailer as salmon seeker drove up the ramp.....the worse part the the water temps in the 40's and plus it was over my head.....wasn't pretty, but we got it done in one try.....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:33 PM »
thanks for the info jibbs, especialy about the ramp that would suck, hope you had some good fishing after all that  ;)

Catch A Buzz

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:00 AM »
I grew up fishing Sunrise Lake in Middleton, so those fish are mine... I claim them now.  See you at Baxter, b***hes.  ;D
Knurren,
have you seen Sunrise lately?? Empty.... They drained it last fall to repair the dam and supposedly it's finished and they are waiting for the spring run off to fill her back up.... I heard the state went in and electro-shocked it to remove most of the fish before hand so they had something to restock it with...

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:34 AM »
they actually drained pleasent in deerfield a few years back

Catch A Buzz

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Knurren,
have you seen Sunrise lately?? Empty.... They drained it last fall to repair the dam and supposedly it's finished and they are waiting for the spring run off to fill her back up.... I heard the state went in and electro-shocked it to remove most of the fish before hand so they had something to restock it with...

They made a very big mistake by dumping them there.
My wife's cousin lives on Baxter, and he's like that guy in the forest gump movie, Bubba.
Hes been eating well this winter on, bass burgers, bass tacos etc.
james

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:03 AM »
They made a very big mistake by dumping them there.
My wife's cousin lives on Baxter, and he's like that guy in the forest gump movie, Bubba.
Hes been eating well this winter on, bass burgers, bass tacos etc.
james

Did they dump them in Baxter? I didn't know that...

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:52 AM »
FLAG, Thats what i was told by a couple of people, but it must be some big secret or something ???

A real sportsman such as yourself, wouldnt be afraid to share this info with other fishermen.

james

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:16 AM »
According to reports on Sunrise Lake drawdown, Many of the fish were lost due to the drawdown of water. F&G did stunned and netted some larger fish.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Is your cousin the guy in the spectrum that fishes live bait with the stringer behind the boat?  I have wanted to pull that guys plug at the camp ground for years ;D  The guy in the jet boat is another story, He'll get his soon enuff when I build a rock jetty in front of the cove at the ramp.  

I have been fishing that lake for years and the fishing has changed alot.  The ramp hasn't helped any and it draws all the local punks.  I still fish it alot but they always seem to park at or on the ramp  and just set up camp there.   But the bottom line is it still has very good bass fishing.  Alot of fish in the 18-20 inch range but most dont have any weight to them for the size.  
   This past fall after a day of fishing at merrymeeting when me and my son got to the ramp the guys from across the street were netting salmon in the pool below the dam and bringing them back up to the lake.  Nice guys that let my son carry a few of the footballs back up to the lake and  put them in.  He said they do it daily  and cant keep up.  One tip he gave me was to fish the marsh  by the bridge.  The other was that they did take a ton of fish and put them in Baxters to fix the dam on sunrise.  So I do beleive it to be true.
  IMO the lake didn't need more fish but maybe some kind of slot limit for the guys eating them.  I see way to many big ones taken and the lake is full of 2-3 pounders.  I think the lake would do better with a few less of them.   It once was a real trophy lake but I dont think it will ever be again.    It used to give up a few 5's every trip, they are still there but not as many.    I still fish it alot becuase I know it could still produce a 8+   for me and I havn't given up on it.  I did loose the biggest fish I have ever hooked there last year.
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2009, 10:38 AM »
JRFlatlander, My wifes cousin doesnt own a boat, just property on the pond.

How come when old man Baxter flooded his farm, and started raising campers instead of corn, it went from Meaders pond to Baxters lake ?

james

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2009, 03:50 PM »
LOL I'm not that old.........  I have fished it for about 15+ years though   A old timer told me they called it Bassit's too.   I guess it was a trophy smallie lake in the 80's with no LM from what he told me.  I do get smallies up to 17 inches or so but nothing bigger and far and few.
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2009, 03:55 PM »
its funny to if you look at the depth map its under baxter lake, then at the bottom of the map where the access is it says Meader Pond (Baxter Lake) boating access

Catch A Buzz

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:31 PM »
LOL I'm not that old.........  I have fished it for about 15+ years though   A old timer told me they called it Bassit's too.   I guess it was a trophy smallie lake in the 80's with no LM from what he told me.  I do get smallies up to 17 inches or so but nothing bigger and far and few.

When i was a kid back in the 70's the only thing in there were, Sm bass, pickerel, and hornpout.
You used to be able to rent boats there, from old man Baxter, but the kids used to steal them, and party where the cops couldn't get them, and when i went to rent a boat, he would yell at me to tell my Friends to stop stealing his boats. lol

james

Offline nhjrbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:57 PM »
is sunrise and Baxter the same place.
i ice fished baxter with some friends this winter, we did crappy,  had one really good runner though. only 1 bass though. a pickeral and a perch or something.
If you aint workin youd better be fishin!

Offline hardwater603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2009, 07:38 PM »
i have alot of buddies that used to rant and rave about baxter and how impressive the largemouth fishing was but according to them all the fish from sunrise the added must have screwed up the balance of the lake because it has been slow going this year.
FISH ON!!!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #19 on: Sep 09, 2009, 04:34 PM »
i have alot of buddies that used to rant and rave about baxter and how impressive the largemouth fishing was but according to them all the fish from sunrise the added must have screwed up the balance of the lake because it has been slow going this year.
i haven't been to baxter all year, but i am not surprised it slowed down......real shallow water and i am sure it warms up quite a bit in the summer......probably to warm......the place is excellent in the later fall, early spring, and first ice.....i have had some banner days on there in the first week of january......i feel the new launch has probably put a few more boats in there then it was use to.......you needed a skidder before to get your boat down that launch.......i backed down my rig about 4 years ago and couldn't get it out.......had to ask the campground to use their's........lot better now, but like i posted earlier on this thread watch the drop off on the end of the new one.....your trailer will get hung up and you are screwed......had to go in the water in november to pick up the trailer while someone drove it out......not pretty........and cold.........
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline hardwater603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2009, 04:57 PM »
well hopefully the fishing will pick up, i feel the largemouth fishing has been slower than previous years.
FISH ON!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.