Author Topic: Buying Florocarbon and Knots..  (Read 1510 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Buying Florocarbon and Knots..
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I see a lot of people here using like 50 to 80 lb florocarbon leaders.

Q.  Where do you get your floro from ?  Type ?

Q.  What type of knots are you tying with it ?  Seams like it would be a bulky knot .

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Buying Florocarbon and Knots..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Its hard to find any in stores around here. I use Triple Fish ordered from Cabelas.  For the past few years I've used 100 lb Triple Fish Muskie Leader and tie a Uni Knot.  Its nice, neat, not bulky.  The best knot I've found so far.  I've been experimenting with lighter 20 and 40 lb this year as well, and with it being lighter, other common knots work alright, but I still use the uni. 

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:33 PM »
Heres a pic of a 100 lb uni knot for reference.  I only use the 100lb for my big heavy baits, but I think the malin boa I'm trying this year might replace it.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:39 PM »
100 lb , What are you fishing for ???  Is the other end tied to your truck so when you get a fish you just pull it out by moving your truck forward? ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Icedog,

Make sure you use quality floro (Seagar).  Stay away from cheap brands like Vanish.  Buy floro that is leader material and not floro made for spooling up rods.  The leader material is more abrasion resistant.  I buy my Seagar from Atommik trolling flies in Oswego NY. Here is his site http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/seaguar.htm.  If you order from him, it will be shipped to your house fast.  I usually get my stuff in 1 - 2 days. 

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:22 AM »
I have Triple Fish 30# Flouro and 50# Yo-Zuri flouro. If you want good flouro, you are going to pay for it. The Yo-Zuri was 20 bucks for 30 yards. The Triple Fish was cheaper but it's a smaller diemiter.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline serchn4monsterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I have Triple Fish 30# Flouro and 50# Yo-Zuri flouro. If you want good flouro, you are going to pay for it. The Yo-Zuri was 20 bucks for 30 yards. The Triple Fish was cheaper but it's a smaller diemiter.
never tried it i saw it for 17.99 is it good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.