Author Topic: glo-shot question  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
glo-shot question
« on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:26 AM »
So I have been very interested in the glo shot spoon. I find that they are 4.99 to 6.99 and come with 3 glo sticks that last 8 hours but they do not appear to be rechargeable. New sticks are 2.39 and that would add up real quick if you only got 1 use out of each one????
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: glo-shot question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Yah thats just silly, go with the ones with glow paint that you can recharge with a light.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:34 AM »
So I have been very interested in the glo shot spoon. I find that they are 4.99 to 6.99 and come with 3 glo sticks that last 8 hours but they do not appear to be rechargeable. New sticks are 2.39 and that would add up real quick if you only got 1 use out of each one????

you get three sticks for $2.39. So if a guy is fishing at night its under a dollar a stick for an outing not having to recharge the lure every few minutes. It won’t be for every outing, but they will sure be nice.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Its to early to tell yet, but for high snow pack and at night, they sound awesome, and for 2.50 or so for 3 glo sticks, thats not that big of deal in my eyes. i spend way more on bait haha.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Its to early to tell yet, but for high snow pack and at night, they sound awesome, and for 2.50 or so for 3 glo sticks, thats not that big of deal in my eyes. i spend way more on bait haha.

Yep. I bought 8 in different sizes and colors. Being able to put a minnow head on and know it's glowing at night is worth a lot. When my buddy and I fish our walleye spot at night, it never fails......one of us has the lure up out of the water to get it glowing when the marks come through. The only thing. That will be a disadvantage with these is not having a rattle......the northland glow buckshot spoons are hard to beat.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2017, 03:56 PM »
 i'm not sold on them but don't fish much at night other than for burbot and don't need anything fancy for that.

agro, i've bought and epoxied lots of rattle chambers to different lures, works great.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Very true, I didn't notice that you got 3. I wonder if these can be purchased in bulk somewhere on the net.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Very true, I didn't notice that you got 3. I wonder if these can be purchased in bulk somewhere on the net.

I checked Amazon the small sticks I got for glow bobbers were to big. The small size wasn't on Amazon.......however when or if the get on Amazon it will be like the small bobber glow sticks I bet......50 for $5.99

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2017, 05:36 PM »
do you think you could cut them down to fit

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2017, 06:19 PM »
do you think you could cut them down to fit

No. If you cut them the glow will leak out

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:30 PM »
not sure if they have them small enough but try places like Dollar store and Dollar tree. Sometime they have really small ones for kids to wear as rings. That is where I get them for bobber fishing and for on my rods for tight lining and you get like 8 for $2.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Recharging ever 5 mins or so is really no big deal. If you dont get a fish in 5 mins you are prolly moving, recharge on the way to the next hole. If you are getting fish, hit it for a few seconds between unhooking fish..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Recharging ever 5 mins or so is really no big deal. If you dont get a fish in 5 mins you are prolly moving, recharge on the way to the next hole. If you are getting fish, hit it for a few seconds between unhooking fish..

People dont hole hop all the time. When I fish out of the wheel shack the last thing I want is to be pulling my bait up every few min. Hitting it with a flashlight

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:31 PM »
People dont hole hop all the time. When I fish out of the wheel shack the last thing I want is to be pulling my bait up every few min. Hitting it with a flashlight

The glow charge lasts longer than 5 minutes... If your jigging a hole for 15 mins without a sniff, no amount of glow will help, youre doing soemthing wrong...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:21 PM »
The glow charge lasts longer than 5 minutes... If your jigging a hole for 15 mins without a sniff, no amount of glow will help, youre doing soemthing wrong...

Obviously you must fish different then the way a lot of people do. I've sat on the same hole in a wheel house for three days fishing.....in my flip over hut for 7 hrs on my walleye spots. Fish do roam, and will come by a persons bait. Especially if you are by structure spots. It is a fairly popular way to fish. Last time I was on Upper Red Lake, Waubay, or Bitter it looked like a few thousand wheel shacks were fishing that way. It gets dark early.....like by 5:30-6:00 people fish well into the night like 1AM if you count a rattle wheel they fish all night.

Now yes guys do jig, but durring slow periods it isn't uncommon to back hook a full minnow and let it dead stick while playing cards or watching football while watching the sonar to see if anything comes around. Then if you see a mark pick up the rod and jig a bit to get a bite. Glow helps a lot to bring the fish in, and a glow stick that last for hours is a convenient tool for fishing like that.

I really think these glo shot spoons are gonna fly off the shelf space in Minnesota, and the Dakotas because of the number guy fishing at night for walleye. Heck I'm sure some of these areas doubble in population when the wheel house towns hit the lakes. Northland brought a product this year that is gonna be a huge winner for fisherman and the company.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:31 PM »
I don't fish at night much although next up on my bucket list is a walleye. I have never got one through the ice so Maybe bait bucket will help me fulfill that. I have been ice fishing many years but no luck with the "EYE'S". Would using the glo-shot not be of any benefit during the day?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:11 PM »
I don't fish at night much although next up on my bucket list is a walleye. I have never got one through the ice so Maybe bait bucket will help me fulfill that. I have been ice fishing many years but no luck with the "EYE'S". Would using the glo-shot not be of any benefit during the day?

If you are fishing in water with low light conditions glow helps...especially wit walleyes. I’ve had pretty good luck with crappie to.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Obviously you must fish different then the way a lot of people do. I've sat on the same hole in a wheel house for three days fishing.....in my flip over hut for 7 hrs on my walleye spots.

When u fish from a boat, do u just anchor in one spot and fish that spot all day? Most guys move around looking for fish. Not much different on the ice. U can go anywhere you want.

Fish are also much less active and lethargic in the winter. They dont roam as much as they do in the warmer months. Ive seen a difference of 10 -20 ft ake the difference between catching and not.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2017, 05:34 PM »
When u fish from a boat, do u just anchor in one spot and fish that spot all day? Most guys move around looking for fish. Not much different on the ice. U can go anywhere you want.

Fish are also much less active and lethargic in the winter. They dont roam as much as they do in the warmer months. Ive seen a difference of 10 -20 ft ake the difference between catching and not.

Ever watch fishing shows? A lot of people drive out to a spot and throw anchor then fish from the boat. I'd say about 1/2 troll and half spot fish around here.

When I do troll in the open water we usually find an area where we catch fish and tend to turn around and troll back and forth over the spot that is producing fish. We don't just troll anywhere.

Fish roam perfectly fine in the winter months. If they don't then why do out fitters like perch patrol on Devil's lake constantly move with the school of perch to stay on top of them. I don't disagree being moble to find fish will help, but a lot of lakes have structure points where the fish are. Once you find them set up shop.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I live on a lake and I would love to just be able to pull my sled out to the same spot, punch thru yesterday's holes and set up shop. I respect everyone's opinions nut I have to say where I caught many fish yesterday may contain none today and usually after an hour we are moving. Fish are not always in the same place on a lake everyday, they roam all over the lake most times depending where the bait fish is. We may have to move several times to get on fish.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2017, 10:27 AM »
Fish roam perfectly fine in the winter months.
fact....

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2017, 05:34 PM »
I will probably pick up a couple for shiz n grins, but there is one issue no one has mentioned yet.  The colder a glowstick gets the less it glows, on the flipside a colder glowstick will last longer.  I'm not expecting much as far as being super bright after a bit in 32 degree water, but they should soldier on for a while.   Also keep your sticks in an inside coat pocket or something, the chemicals won't be able to mix very well if they are frozen solid.   
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2017, 08:06 AM »
too much money dont fall for it.  if you want to mess with glowsticks stuff a tube with one.  or use this rig for live baiting or over jiggin rap.

like said though glow paint does the job.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.