Author Topic: BUY A REAL CAMERA!!  (Read 6978 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: BUY A REAL CAMERA!!
« Reply #60 on: Oct 01, 2017, 05:57 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Taken last week on the Merrimack Crappie fishing. Un edited looked exactly like it does in picture. On my galaxy phone. Good enough for my purposes. Great thread though.

Awesome picture Wayne how was the fishing?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:11 AM »

Wayne,  beautiful picture.  Thanks for my new desktop wallpaper!
Dick

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #62 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Great topic dick..Its nice too see the page come to life again after a long hiatus...can't wait to hit the ice  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Great topic dick..Its nice too see the page come to life again after a long hiatus...can't wait to hit the ice  :tipup:

Thanks Bill,  Its foliage time in the north country so my camera (not my phone) is the first thing in hand.  Happy to find that this topic actually got me to get out with my Samsung  Galaxy and experiment.  Only made it half way to the pond when my wife called to ask me about lawn mowing and window cleaning!   Now I remember why I don't bring my phone when I'm fishing??   

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Here's a pic of M&M from last year...this was taken on my iPhone, hopefully it posts I used the add image to post

Clearly the phone doesn't do it any justice

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Here's a pic of M&M from last year...this was taken on my iPhone, hopefully it posts I used the add image to post

Clearly the phone doesn't do it any justice
Was that the day we all met up? I never saw that fish.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Oct 01, 2017, 09:09 AM »
It was good. Lots of crappie established in the Merrimack
Salmonemia

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:13 AM »
you can find them for 265$ on amazon and the 350$ price. best buy has them on sale for the 50$ off the 400$ msrp price tag. i like being able to just go buy stuff and see it first hand. bestbuy's warranty is not good any more tho, so buying from amazon for the 265$ is a nice deal too so long as it's in a factory sealed box. 23 mp lens is the best i found in this type of format, but then again, it is sony, the one and only lol.

Square trade warranty?? Can you get one on it??  I would check..

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #68 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:18 AM »
getting a new phone today!!
Well, actually updating to IOS 11.0.1 which will be almost like getting a new camera ;D

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:57 AM »

Yes..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #70 on: Oct 01, 2017, 12:08 PM »

Square trade warranty?? Can you get one on it??  I would check..
maybe, but i bought from bestbuy and the go pro hero 5 black and the drone came from them.
best buy phone warranty is 90$ for one year and a 50$ deposit charge if you use the warranty. i'll buy a new one before i spend on that type of warranty. their getting plenty of my loot as it is.

db, what's going on with the photo's. i hope it's not a terms of service change like photobucket did to us all.
::) ;D  I still prefer my real camera for those once in a lifetime photos!
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 01, 2017, 12:59 PM »
 ;D Nope!  Post Images  No fee and seems to work fine.   
I still think anyone who hasn't used a DSLR camera shouldn't compare it to the functionality and speed of a iphone?   With a DSLR you look thru the lense see and frame what you want, snap and when home you pop the SD card in the computer and store in MY Pictures.  Posting done with Post Images site.   I kind of wish everybody would edit there image sites to eliminate any of the old PhotoBucket junk?   I really want Photobucket to disappear ?
Dick

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Oct 06, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Those of you stating that iphones are the best, I'd like to introduce you to a little phrase called "dynamic range." Lets see if you can do this with your iphones:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Oct 06, 2017, 01:19 PM »
;D Nope!  Post Images  No fee and seems to work fine.   
I still think anyone who hasn't used a DSLR camera shouldn't compare it to the functionality and speed of a iphone?   With a DSLR you look thru the lense see and frame what you want, snap and when home you pop the SD card in the computer and store in MY Pictures.  Posting done with Post Images site.   I kind of wish everybody would edit there image sites to eliminate any of the old PhotoBucket junk?   I really want Photobucket to disappear ?
Dick

Have you ever used an iPhone?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Oct 06, 2017, 03:01 PM »
maybe, but i bought from bestbuy and the go pro hero 5 black and the drone came from them.
best buy phone warranty is 90$ for one year and a 50$ deposit charge if you use the warranty. i'll buy a new one before i spend on that type of warranty. their getting plenty of my loot as it is.

db, what's going on with the photo's. i hope it's not a terms of service change like photobucket did to us all.

Even if you buy it from best buy I think you can buy a square trade warranty??  might be worth checking into next time??  Also check crutchfield I think they sell cameras like best buy but offer square trade wannanty...instead of a protection plan like best buy had problems with a stero at best buy they sent me to a local repair facility of theirs to have it refurbished that's not why I paid the money for the protection plan was to get a new item when old broke...   then you got restocking fees of 20% that's why I avoid best buy like the plague ..

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Doc?  My last camera purchase from B&H  came with a report about dynamic range.
Seems really important but I still haven't absorbed it?? 
Zwiggles?  I have a Samsung Galaxy that I rarely use  it to call home or TEXT?  I've used it for pictures but I'm not happy with the ease of use in the field.  I have to ask if you have ever used a DSLR camera?
Dick

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #76 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:31 AM »
2007 called. They want their iPhone back.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11:45 AM »

It was, lets do it again this year.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Oct 25, 2017, 03:28 PM »
From my samsung phone.  Un edited

Salmonemia

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Here's a michigans sun rise over canada got this wile fishing last week end .. ended out with three guys limited out on walleye and one lake trout.. and one nice view in morning.. this was taken with a galaxy s5 active phone would have been better with the dslr camera.. let me know if I should resize it some times you can't zoom in enough with it resized.. that's why I left it alone..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Oct 25, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Very nice
Salmonemia

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Sure, cell phone cameras can take nice pictures, but what you have to keep in mind is that the size of the image.
A cellphone photo, regardless of what they tell you, is designed for small screen display.
Once you try to blow up the print it loses it's definition and gets blurry.

A camera can zoom AND refine the image before taking the picture, so you get a better product from the start.

The problem most people discover is that they believe that since the camera screen shows that they took a good picture, that that quality transfers to every other viewing medium....but it doesn't.

If you want really good pictures suitable for enlarging and framing you will still need a camera.

Not complaining or arguing, just stating what I have discovered myself over time.

NOTE...that this should not dissuade people from using their cellphones to take pictures, but rather to make them understand its limitations.
That's all...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Just not gonna carry both when I go fishing.  Not gonna drop real coin on a digital camera either-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I have had great luck with blowing up photos from my iPhone 7 Plus. I know in the old models this was an issue, but not so much anymore.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #84 on: Oct 26, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Here's a michigans sun rise over canada got this wile fishing last week end .. ended out with three guys limited out on walleye and one lake trout.. and one nice view in morning.. this was taken with a galaxy s5 active phone would have been better with the dslr camera.. let me know if I should resize it some times you can't zoom in enough with it resized.. that's why I left it alone..

Resize pleze...    ;)
Way to big...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Oct 28, 2017, 08:11 AM »
It was, lets do it again this year.

Sounds like a plan guys except this year CD has to be there.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Oct 28, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Sounds like a plan guys except this year CD has to be there.
Thanks, Denny. I know I missed a good time last year.
I will make every effort to be there this year.  :tipup:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Oct 28, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Willy.resized would make a great photo?  But, thanks, it shows what happens to a Iphone phone when you try to reframe and enlarge it? 
Dick

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:14 AM »
As I said above, it's all in how you plan on displaying your images. You can blow up an image from a tiny sensor for display on a 1080p monitor no problem. You can zoom it in and never notice any loss. But if you print a photo from a cell phone, even at a weak 2400dpi and 5x7", I personally can tell in a heartbeat when it's taken from a cell phone. The average camera user never prints a single photo anymore. And those that do, usually do so at home with a relatively cheap inkjet. I get a laugh out of the soccer moms taking snaps of little Johnny with a $2500 DSLR when you know that they do nothing more than upload their photos to Facebook or Instagram. Those users would be much better served with a fast focusing EVF point and shoot with a superzoom.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.