The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout Burgers  (Read 919 times)

Offline SnoopySnowCone

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout Burgers
« on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:04 PM »
New to the thread, and somewhat new to ice fishing. Thought I'd contribute a little something for those of you finding trout on the end of your line this winter. I adapted this recipe from a salmon burger recipe, and it is fan-flippin-tastic. You can feed it to people who say they don't like trout and they will love it.

[img]http://www.bozeman-magpie.com/article_images/embedded/images/fburger.jpg/img]
Ingredients:
2 whole trout, about 12”, gutted and with heads removed
½ cup bread crumbs, plain
¼ cup minced onion or shallots
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 egg
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Dijon mustard and horseradish to taste
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper
Buns (my fancy trick is to buy a Focaccia loaf from the grocery store and cut it into bun-sized pieces. WAY better than the plain buns in the bag)

You will simultaneously mince and bone the trout by using the following, not-so-glamorous-but-oh-so-effective method: start by peeling the skin back from the fish, working your fingers up close to where the skin is beginning to separate and applying pressure while keeping tension on the skin with your other hand. Once the skin is removed, use your fingers to press/pluck small fleshy tidbits from the fish (this will allow you to get close to the ribcage without the risk of getting bones in your meat). Place the trimmings in the bowl with the aforementioned ingredients (excepting for the buns and fixins, of course). Mix well and form into patties, and keep in mind that these burgers will not shrink.

[img]http://www.bozeman-magpie.com/article_images/embedded/images/Fskin.jpg/img]

Make sure your grill is hot and the grates are cleaned and oiled. These burgers maintain shape surprisingly well, so don't be timid with the spatula. Place the patties directly over the lit coals or burners. Depending on heat, approximately 5-7 minutes on each side will do the trick—the outside should be nicely browned and crusty. If you're nervous about undercooking, reposition the burgers away from direct heat and cook for 5 minutes longer.

Enjoy!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Trout Burgers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Snoopy!!
I like the horseradish idea! I usually throw in some sunflower seeds and chopped spinach too to a recipie similiar to yours!!

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Those sound great! Thanks for sharing!
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:40 PM »

Thank You.. will have to try it out.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:26 PM »
For some reason I'm really hungry right now.....LOL.....Thanks for sharing !!

Offline bullnbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:51 PM »
sounds great thanks!

Offline heysharkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:35 AM »
I McShane similar . I throw will eta in food processor first them make the burgers. Good stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.