The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where are the perch?  (Read 829 times)

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
Where are the perch?
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Fished Francis today. Could not find a perch in 24 holes. 8 to 20 feet of water both ends of the island. Not one perch iced. May have seen 2 on the sonar all day. Iced 8 northerns, nothing over 3 lbs. Had one ling up to the hole, guessing it would have been about 5-6 lbs. May not have lost it if I hadn't been videoing with one hand and trying to land him with the other. Not to mention it would have been the biggest ling I have ever caught. Oh well, try again tomorrow. Pretty sure I was the only one on the lake today.
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where are the perch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Maybe try finding a big weed bed and fish the edge of it thats were I usually catch all my perch and sometimes a walleye. Also you went on francis and didn't blow away?. How was the ice?

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Ice is 6-8 inches. Had the 4 wheeler out on it .  There are small spots that are opening up mostly on the edges of the island and by the boat ramp. Wind was for sure whipping today but I stuck to the south side of the island so I was fairly protected. My subject title may have been misleading, was more of a statement than a question. No weeds on the south side of the island as far as I could tell. Probably explains the lack of perch. I was hoping to have some perch action while I waited for a flag to pop on a tip up and really didn't want to sit in the full blast of the wind to do it. I think I found the only place to hide from the wind today.
My lifelong quest is to find out if a 20 lb. walleye will fit through a ten inch hole.

Offline tlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Sometimes finding them on francis takes weeks... I usually don't get onto a reliable spot until february, seems like the big ones are never in the same place two years in a row

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I've always done my best by the trees by the light house,but never anything else just perch.
BBJ

Offline Shelberian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:30 PM »
I found out where the perch were today! I got bored after jigging about 30 holes ranging from 5 to 20 f.o.w. with nothing happening and only seeing maybe 3 on the sonar. So I went to be nosey and found out they were in 29 f.o.w.. Seemed crazy as I watched them being pulled out one after the other. So after a little chatting with a guy I found out was an IceShanty member, he said pop a hole and catch some. 30 minutes later had 8 nice perch on the ice and had thrown at least twice that many back. Jig4One was the guy's handle on here and I know he caught and threw back a good share too. Thanks for letting me crowd in Jig, was great to meet and fish with you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.