Author Topic: So yeah.....diving into this whole hard water thing...  (Read 4935 times)

Offline RatAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello from NE Wisconsin. :)....and part time in NE PA

I've been meaning to get around to a real start in ice fishing, but never had much of a chance.
I have fished my entire life wherever I can and even managed two fly fishing clubs as a resource manager for a large landholding company for many years. The extent of my ice fishing has been chopping through the ice with a hatchet and playing around with small jigs on an ultralight pole. It was fun.

My current situation has me being off a lot in winter, only really working one solid week a month from about mid October until May 1. I figured it was time to add another facet to my outdoor lifestyle as an avid backpacker, canoe camper, kayaker, climber.....etc. The winters can be long here and I'm not a "sports guy". I just can't sit in front of a tv. I hike and camp out all year long and my technical gear can help me by pulling extra duty into the realm of ice fishing.

Or....maybe I had a free shelf in my gear room and needed to fill it with fun stuff. ;D

So, I've been lurking here and like the community. I have more than enough questions and it seems like this forum is THE place to be.

Glad to be aboard. :)

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: So yeah.....diving into this whole hard water thing...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Welcome to the site Rat!  That shelf will be filled in no time.

Offline RatAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Stay tuned and watch for all of my classic noob mistakes. ;D

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Well your screwed now, you will not only fill that shelf but will be looking for anther shelf because you bough way to much for just one.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Hey Rat, welcome to the Shanty and God's Country! Pull up a bucket and make yourself comfortable. There's plenty of "enablers" here for your new found hobby with good info to shortcut your success. Everyone from beginners to seasoned veterans can learn something here.

Don't be afraid to mouse around looking for answers or use the search function. I've been here since 2010 and I still search for stuff knowing that most things are as close as filling in the field and hitting "Search". Often there's really good stuff there that's either been buried or forgotten about. No shortage of fresh answers here too, just ask. Be prepared for differing ideas and solutions based on diverse experiences. In some cases you'll have to make up your own mind from the choices.  ;)2

Well your screwed now, you will not only fill that shelf but will be looking for anther shelf because you bough way to much for just one.

Yeah...  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Enjoy!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline RatAssassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.

If the shelf gets filled....and I'm sure it will, then there's always that empty corner of the new outbuilding I put up last year. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.