Author Topic: Man dies @ Tuttle Creek Res  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Man dies @ Tuttle Creek Res
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:08 PM »
News said a man went through the ice and died at Tuttle Creek resiviour. Dont be to eager to go out.

Offline PhishOn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Man dies @ Tuttle Creek Res
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:52 PM »
I heard a guy got a little wet at Kirwin today also.. Be safe men...
Hard as Ice!!

Offline bluefin75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Not good sending prayers!

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:40 PM »
Be safe out there guys!!! The best safety tools are a floating suit/life vest, spud bar, and ice picks. Also, if you feel like the ice isn't safe THEN DON"T GO! Prayers for the family.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:38 PM »
I was fearing this when they opened our Kansas forum.  Ice fishing in this state is not for the inexperienced.  Everyone is free to do what they want, but I'd go as far and say that no one should try ice fishing in this state without learning the ropes from an experienced ice angler.  It's so sad because it didn't have to happen. 

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:07 PM »
The angler's passing is a tragedy, but don't blame the forum, or any one/ any thing else for his death. Warning posts about ice safety  are prominent on EVERY forum, not just on Ice Shanty, not just in Nebraska, Kansas, and other states with short ice seasons. 

Caveat piscatores - "Let the fishermen beware."
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:32 AM »
I see it as if they read this forum they might not have been out.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:47 AM »
kinda surprising that it did not have safe ice.

one thing I did notice this year was the amount of guys that were carrying ice picks, and wearing cleats, or even life jackets.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2015, 03:36 PM »
The angler's passing is a tragedy, but don't blame the forum, or any one/ any thing else for his death. Warning posts about ice safety  are prominent on EVERY forum, not just on Ice Shanty, not just in Nebraska, Kansas, and other states with short ice seasons. 

Caveat piscatores - "Let the fishermen beware."

I didn't mean to imply the forum had anything to do with it, but rather we would see these sorts of news stories now that we have a centralized forum.  The other issue raised by tragedies like this, is that it alters people's perceptions that our sport is unsafe.  My brother-in-law's wife rarely lets him take the kids out on the ice and this stuff doesn't help.   

Offline skinner80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:33 PM »
The unfortunate event actually happened on a small lake that is below the dam at Tuttle not the actual reserviour which is known for not freezing over very well, sometimes not at all do to current coming in from a nearby discharge.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:40 AM »
The best thing you can purchase is a safety kit for the ice, Frabill makes one that comes with picks, and cleats. A spud bar is a must, best $40 you can spend! Wear a life jacket under your coat for extra insulation and flotation. Above all, do not venture out without a buddy, if you do, bring a long rope and tie it off somewhere on shore so if you fall you can pull yourself out. Be safe out there, I don't want to be the one to post that one of our members has died.

Offline ksufishguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Story is that this guy was not fishing.

Offline CaptainT16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:17 AM »
I have heard the same as well. Very sad indeed, but just goes to show that just because there is ice covering a body of water does not mean it's safe.  Please be careful out there this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.