Author Topic: 1 for 5  (Read 1130 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
1 for 5
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Me and Bobbyz04 needed to wash off the smell of skunk from sharbot so before he headed home today we spent a few very cold hours on Loughborough.  We landed a couple small lakers which was pretty good considering we drilled one set of holes and just set up camp, way to cold to be moving around.
So although I was happy to get some fish, I am pissed that I lost 4.  I just screwed up setting the drag too light for the first few and wasnt getting a good hook set in 50fow. i think I was getting fooled into thinking the drag was set tight when actually it was just the line freezing to the bail arm. Then to compensate for my previous mistakes I nailed the drag down and lost the last one to a break off because I forgot to back off the drag while I was fighting the fish. I dont expect to land all of my hookups when fishing deep water but should have done better than 1 for 5.
Lesson learned for next time.
@jzuliniak

Offline big b muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1 for 5 $%&!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Most super lines have zero stretch and water depth shouldnt matter. I use 12 pound fireline with a three foot leader of 10lb florocarbon. If you do that it should fix your hooksetting problem.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 1 for 5 $%&!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Most super lines have zero stretch and water depth shouldnt matter. I use 12 pound fireline with a three foot leader of 10lb florocarbon. If you do that it should fix your hooksetting problem.
Ya I wish I could blame it on the line but I was using ice braid so I think it was just bad drag setting on my part.
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: 1 for 5
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I gotta get out on Loughborough

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:52 AM »
damn - that's rough!  I wish I could say I had 5 strikes on the weekend though, so don't feel too bad. 

As far as this line discussion goes, I think it warrants a new post b/c I need some info/opinions on what to respool with
Tight lines

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I hear ya about not wanting to move too much because its cold!

Tough luck on the lost fish...not wanting to compound your misery but reading that post had me laughing cuz i've done exactly the same thing ...numerous times!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline bobbyz04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:02 PM »

Maybe next time I wont stand over your shoulder yelling "reel reel reel " LOL  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.