Author Topic: Where do you clean your fish in the winter???  (Read 5923 times)

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
Where do you clean your fish in the winter???
« on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Im just kind of taking a poll and see where everybody cleans thier fish at in the winter.I dont have a sink in the basement so I kinda got snapped at for cleaning gills in the kitchen sink by the wife. I told her the insides dont smell that bad like they do in the summer. Also I peel the skin so I dont get scales all over the place.  Thanks
Jim

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Re: Where do you clean your fish in the winter???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:24 AM »
kitchen sink  ;)
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:35 AM »
The kitchen table
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:36 AM »
On the cutting board next to the kitchen sink. Same as always. I make sure I clean up so you would never think that fish were just cleaned here. It gets a bit messy when you filet crappies because those little scales appear after they have dried out then, you just have to pick them up with your fingers before the wife spots them. So far, so good. Make sure you have a large bucket by your feet for the remains.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Basement sink,my basement has a kitchen( mine) in it so I can stay out of hers,sure makes it nice,filet,bag and freeze or set up the fryer and introduce them to crisco. There was a strange smell coming from my kitchen( mine) sink last week,I forgot to take a pile of crappie bodies out, the little women really liked that!

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:32 AM »
At the kitchen sink. No complaint's from the wife. She fishes just as hard as I do. Won't be throwing this one back, she's a trophy!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:36 AM »
basement sink no problems till i forget to take the gut bucket out then i here about it :-[ :-[ ;D

Offline gillhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:42 AM »
cutting board at kitchen sink

Offline fin-stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm watchin you fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:23 AM »
You guys cleanin these fish at kitchen sink got something figured out that I don't.  How to get that past the wife!  I clean mine out in the garage.  It's not that bad though.  I use an folding table tray that works great(in the GILLS FROM THE SLOUGH TODAY pics), got a sink in the garage, and use my mr.buddy heater in there if its real cold. 
ICE ADDICT!

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Kitchen table. I have an old padded table cloth and a big cutting board. I cut a news paper in quarters, line two buckets with cheap trash bags and get a bowl 1/2 full of water for the fish. I dump the fish in one bucket then clean one fish per paper section, when that fish is done just fold up the 1/4 cut paper and throw the whole mess in the other bucket. That way you have a clean piece of paper for every fish. It keeps the mess to a minimum and the final clean up is easy with the trash bags you don't even have to clean up the buckets. Doing it this way is comfortable for me and keeps the wife off my A$$ LOL.

Offline shelbytuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Here is a little advice if you clean fish in the kitchen sink:

Plug the drain to the garbage disposal if you put fish in the kitchen sink.  

I had a nice gill slip down into the garbage disposal yesterday and it took me quite a while to "fish" her out.   My hands are too wide to reach down in and my 7 year old son and my wife refused.   I started to sweat after a while.   I saw myself with two options:   1.)  turn the disposal on and hope for the best or 2.)  take the disposal apart.   Luckily, after about ten minutes of trying, I was able to use a pair of needle nose to turn her around and lip her to get her out.  

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:46 AM »
One reason I turned to C&R was that usually it was late by the time I got home and it was in the teens outside. I hated having to clean the fish outside with frozen hands. Now I can do it at the kitchen sink. A few split open grocery bags, a cutting board and I am good to go  :) I found that using a butter knife and holding the knife by the blade and holding my thumb close to the tip, I can usually capture most of the scales between my thumb and the blade minmizing scales flying all over the place. A bucket lined with a plastic bag makes for easy carcass disposal. Since I fillet most, I only remove the top row of scales from both sides along the dorsal fins and along the belly.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline chicagill35

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bottle Bass Guy
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Great Feedback!!!   Thanx to you guys I showed my wife the responses on here and she will let me clean them in the kitchen sink now provided I clean up my mess.... Thanx again....You Guys Rock!!!!!    Good Luck........Take Care   Jim
Jim

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Good to hear chicagill!!! Just be sure to clean up  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Good to hear chicagill!!! Just be sure to clean up  :)
glad you got the better half to see it our way. i clean mine in the kitchen sink too. my mrs. does not like to fish, or eat fish or have anything to do with fish. i can come home, she's sound asleep, i know it's coming---- get them stinking fish outa here!!! clean the fish, clean the mess, no problem. good thing she don't drive my truck. got buckets of fish guts from a couple weeks i keep forgetting to throw out :sick: :whistle: >:D

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:19 PM »
The wife and I clean our fish in the same place in winter as in the summer....The kitchen!! ;)

The wife suggested outdoors and I said great, lets go!! Ten minutes later "Whats up with all these bees and flies??? Back in the house we went.

In the winter she suggested outdoors again, we went and   "Darn, I cannot feel my hands to finish skinning the fish!" so back in the house we went.

Have no more issues withit.  ;)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:24 PM »
@ my Daughters house across the street  ;D ;D ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I have to clean mine in the garage or across the street at my parent’s house.  Tried to clean some in the house last year while my wife was out.  I unknowing started WWIII when she came home and caught a wiff of fish.  >:(

After that I don't dare try to clean them in the house.

I have a nice work bench and laminate counter top with cabinets in the garage so it works out well...Plus it does a good job of staying warm in the winter without heat.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:47 PM »
I clean mine in the garage. The challenge I find is getting rid of the guts. I usually put them in a double bag and put them out in my shed and hope I remember to put them out with the trash on Tuesday but I often forget!!! Any solutions for this?

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Tripple Bag the guts ..and find a spot in the freezer till garbage day..i have a chest freezer to hide them in...this works well in the summer too ..no funky smelling garbage cans.. ;)

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Just bag the guts and find that big blue dodge down at Summit and drop em in the back LOL. That guy loves cheek meat. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Personally,that big blue dodge dont do fish,it just loves to FIND em and catch em,I do help others stock they're freezer from time to time tho..........I think were done Brian,remember the trip in May,I cant wait,

Jimmy

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:18 AM »
Tripple Bag the guts ..and find a spot in the freezer till garbage day..i have a chest freezer to hide them in...this works well in the summer too ..no funky smelling garbage cans.. ;)
  good idea ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:09 AM »
my wife was yelling at me the garage STINKS? its where i filet my catch. so a lil investigation led me to a few unused minnow traps loaded with fish gutz  :o :o :o :o so i cleaned them out and threw them out in the grass and immediately these showed up
it must of stunk BAD
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Use to clean mine by kitchen sink but built a barn last year n now how a game processing station in there

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:41 AM »
I clean mine in the back garage.  Built a custom table at the perfect height for filleting fish.  Have a powerful fan out there for the summer time and a nice kerosene heater out there for the winter.  I turn on the heater and the radio and go to town.  The cooler weather out there helps keep the beer colder anyways :thumbsup:

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Fortunately I have a heated garage now but use to clean them in the basement sink.  Wife is much happier now.

Offline FL18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Basement laundry room I have a counter top and a farm sink

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:54 AM »
I clean beside kitchen sink, can't believe the guys that have to go outside or in garage!!  She eats them and have had no complaints just clean your mess up!!

Offline techboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2017, 12:06 PM »
In My heated 30x65 shop ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.