Author Topic: Nwi browns  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Eyeofthewalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
Nwi browns
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Any advice on brown trout on the big lake? Look to get out... don't they spawn here soon?

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nwi browns
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I think Browns "run" and spawn in the fall....  that said  we catch a fair number in early march off the piers in Mi.

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Some of the harbors getting some browns right now for some reason. Must be the weird weather
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:06 PM »
There might be a few in the typical spots now but wait a month or two and they'll be all kinds of fish up in the harbors and ditches.

Offline walleyedmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:42 AM »
They are all over the warm water discharges right now.
As always, I am............ walleyed

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Any size to them?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:25 PM »
All good size browns and a blast to hook into

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Any size to them?
I've seen some hogs this year that would eat the Browns in oliver. I'll be dammed if I can't get one, but one of these days

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I've seen some hogs this year that would eat the Browns in oliver. I'll be dammed if I can't get one, but one of these days

No surprise there with the smelt gone from Oiiver. For consistent trophy browns you need a coldwater forage base. Tried to get the INDNR to allow us to reintroduce smelt through NEITA and a hatchery supplier in Maine, but was told no. I produced a proposal and argument via a formal paper, just like I did to allow NEITA to plant browns, and produce an 18 inch size limit, of which that was a success.

The argument against the smelt was that smelt are detrimental to native fish eggs and fry in the lake. I respectfully disagree as when the native fish are spawning, with the possible exception of yellow perch (not a significant population in the lake anyway) the smelt are in deeper colder water. I think it was more pressure from someone to not reintroduce a nonnative fish. Never mind the lake trout planted by the INDNR in '79' most likely wiped out the smelt AND native cisco in Oliver. Lots of studies in the northeast showing lake trout are capable of that in smaller bodies of water.

Ironically other states that support trout angling in lakes actively introduce smelt to bolster their trophy fisheries. An old survey of Oliver, when the lake had abundant smelt and cisco coexisting in '68,' showed more than one gamefish species taking advantage of the smelt forage. Northern pike for one.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:09 PM »
I'm sure they follow smelt, and the other fish that spawn.  We used to hook into them at the old US steel breakwall back in the day.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:32 AM »
I don't have enough time to chase the big Lake guys today in harbors or tribs so I'm gonna fly fish another northern indiana stream for some smaller browns. I like the big guys but it's just as fun going after the smaller guys in streams on the 4wt fly rod. Waters high so breaking out streamers. I'm perfectly fine with the warmer temps so I can break out the fly rods again. I just love to fish any time of year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.