Author Topic: Would a Electric Track be something you would be interested in?  (Read 5698 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I have been wanting to build a "track" to pull a sled, similar to the guys in Canada but smaller and just meant to go walking speed, with a range of like 5 miles total. Battery operated, no permits, no stinky gas, quiet, fits in the trunk of a car, and should not cost a ton of money! I even have most of the stuff/parts needed, just no time to work on it. I have talked to one of the companies that make the larger motorized versions and they say they are working on battery versions, but I don't think they see the opportunity to sell units that I think there is. The aging crowd, anglers without a place to store a Snowmobile, no registration or insurance, and no hassle of gas engines. Is there anyone else out there that would be interested in something like that? Here is a pic of someone that built basically what I am talking about, I would have it pull a sled not me, and just have forward and reverse (maybe with a remote?).

What do you guys think? It is not something I have time for, but if there is a bunch of interest, maybe someone or one of the companies would move forward with one. None of it is new tech and you don't even want to use Lithium and the weight would give it traction...

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a feeling the responses you get will be yes if you can buy it for under $3K.  But everyone knows you can't produce them lightweight for that cost.  Ice fisherman almost always try to make it themselves or just do with out on big priced items. Just my 2 cents. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have a feeling the responses you get will be yes if you can buy it for under $3K.  But everyone knows you can't produce them lightweight for that cost.  Ice fisherman almost always try to make it themselves or just do with out on big priced items. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed...
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
But everyone knows you can't produce them lightweight for that cost

I don't think that is the case, 1st you don't need lightweight or even want it to be "light" as you need some weight for traction... Something lead-acid batteries can help with. It does not need long-range or great speed, making common off the self motors a good fit. From what I see the track is the biggest expense, then the gearing, again nothing exotic or high tech. If I was to make it I would make it so you could slide the batteries out making it easy to lift up for most anglers. An RC controller with a simple Forward/off/reverse would be good enough.
These guys are selling remote controlled tracked robot snowblowers with 300lb capacity for less than $2000...
https://spykerworkshop.com/shop/superkat2x/superkat2xchassis/spyker-kat-2x-chassis-artr/

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I own two snowmobiles and they work great for me.
As far as an electric track, well it's not something that interests me in the least.
But I go a lot of places where charging something like this can be difficult.
For instance at the cabin I'd have to run a generator all night long to charge it.
Easy enough to haul a spare gas can if needed.
Here in Alaska I don't see much use for an electric machine.
I do see a need/demand for a lightweight small engine snowmobile such as the old Tundra ll or Bravo though. Those would sell real well I think!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
I own two snowmobiles and they work great for me.
As far as an electric track, well it's not something that interests me in the least.
But I go a lot of places where charging something like this can be difficult.
For instance at the cabin I'd have to run a generator all night long to charge it.
Easy enough to haul a spare gas can if needed.
Here in Alaska I don't see much use for an electric machine.
I do see a need/demand for a lightweight small engine snowmobile such as the old Tundra ll or Bravo though. Those would sell real well I think!
I agree it would not be the right application for you, but sadly many of us don't have the many miles or cabins to get to fish...

Offline 50ice

• IceShanty Rookie
I need one. My fishing friend is also looking for one.

I have been looking for an ELECTRIC sled and not found one focused on ice fishing yet. Here is what I found so far.

https://ebikebc.com/product/envo-electric-snow-kart/

As I have preordered a Cybertruck and noticed that there is a "cyberquad" ATV so still waiting for further info (price, range, insurance, etc) to come. (
)

So far, it seems "snowdog" is my only option but it's nowhere near  "electric",  - quiet, little maintenance needed.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nope

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well here you go for only 21k CDN you can have one.  I would buy a high end snowmobile before I bought one of these.
https://mtt136.com/en/home

I need one. My fishing friend is also looking for one.

I have been looking for an ELECTRIC sled and not found one focused on ice fishing yet. Here is what I found so far.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Most Batteries don't much like the cold. Seems like a great idea that just doesn't really work in the real world. Sure if you are only going a mile or two and have charging available every night then it might be the cats meow. I just know that my drill batteries don't like the cold and after sitting out on the ice all day would and electric snowdog have enough mud to get me and my gear back home, to me that would be a real concern. I'm saving my nickels for a real SnowDog.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Would a Electric Track be something you would be interested in?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2020, 11:43 AM »
What you are asking about is an electric snowdog, and I think that the weight and expense of the batteries, motor, and control circuitry would cost more than the 4 stroke engines do nowadays. You would need something like an electric trolling motor sized setup, and I think it would cost at least that much. I don't see the problem you are solving, if it ends up being a slower, heavier, more expensive snowdog.
If there is no snow, you might get some use out of an adapted Segway or E-bike- a much smaller and lower power task. If you want to pull a sled or shanty through deep snow with a track, the power required goes up about 10X.
Sorry, but don't see this as an idea that can compete with what is already out there.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:44 AM »
I think it's interesting, but for me personally I will not give up a snowmobile. But I trail ride a lot.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:33 AM »
I can see that this is more of a "Gear Head" group and that is fine, but some of us don't like (or need) gas engines, the smell, the fuel, and everything else that goes with them. What I am looking for is electric, you could put it in the trunk of a car and the back of a closet. It does not need to go fast or more than 10 miles. Yes, an electric Snow Dog is what I am hoping for (but smaller) that will not need to be registered, insured, trailer, or all the other "fun"  that goes with a snowmobile. I have started looking at e-bikes too see how well one of them might do the job and at least I could use it year-round. The snow bike might work, but then you cant use it in the summer...
For all of you that Gas Transportation works well for GREAT, but I am looking for that "Gap" between pulling a sled by hand and having to have a pick-up or trailer to pull around a Snowdog, Snowmobile, or ATV... 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Make it 18v so we can run it on our drill batteries

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:03 PM »
https://mtt136.com/

WAY SPENDY, but kinda what you are saying you want. Just could buy a Snow Dog and a Skandic SWT SkiDoo  for same price as this thing.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Couldn't you buy an electric snowblower, remove the auger pieces that shoots out the snow, add some tracks/chains to the wheels, and there ya go.  Its about walking speed, or a little faster, and weighs about 155lbs.  After you remove some of the stuff used to throw snow, I bet you could get it lighter.

I'm sure there are lighter or cheaper options but this is what I found in a quick google search.
EGO Power+ 24 in. Two Stage Electric Start 56 volt Battery Snow Blower Kit
westernmas on the finder

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:39 PM »
https://mtt136.com/

WAY SPENDY, but kinda what you are saying you want. Just could buy a Snow Dog and a Skandic SWT SkiDoo  for same price as this thing.

Faster than I need and none of them will fit in the trunk of a car or the back of a closet, but thanks.

EGO Power+ 24 in. Two Stage Electric Start 56 volt Battery Snow Blower Kit

Nice snowblower, but it is not self-propelled, as in it would not "tow" anything...

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2020, 11:28 PM »
As I recall a snowdog fits in the back of an SUV or on one of those cargo hitch haulers.
Sure they are gas powdered but meet nearly all your other criteria.
Plus they are a proven machine and when your out of power just add more gas.
But if you've got a few thousand extra bucks laying around and are a handy guy at electrical, welding etc. you could build what your looking for in an electric version.
Especially since it seems from the many members here your not getting very many interested people so that's likely your best option at this point.
Or maybe buy a Snowdog and figure out how to convert it to electric power.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Faster than I need and none of them will fit in the trunk of a car or the back of a closet, but thanks.

Nice snowblower, but it is not self-propelled, as in it would not "tow" anything...

There are self propelled versions that are a couple hundred dollars more.  It seems like the technology is out there for what you want but you'd have to piece it together.  Unless you can fabricate it yourself its going to be pricey IMO.
westernmas on the finder

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2020, 11:14 AM »
I have been wanting to build a "track" to pull a sled, similar to the guys in Canada but smaller and just meant to go walking speed, with a range of like 5 miles total. Battery operated, no permits, no stinky gas, quiet, fits in the trunk of a car, and should not cost a ton of money! I even have most of the stuff/parts needed, just no time to work on it. I have talked to one of the companies that make the larger motorized versions and they say they are working on battery versions, but I don't think they see the opportunity to sell units that I think there is. The aging crowd, anglers without a place to store a Snowmobile, no registration or insurance, and no hassle of gas engines. Is there anyone else out there that would be interested in something like that? Here is a pic of someone that built basically what I am talking about, I would have it pull a sled not me, and just have forward and reverse (maybe with a remote?).
(Image removed from quote.)
What do you guys think? It is not something I have time for, but if there is a bunch of interest, maybe someone or one of the companies would move forward with one. None of it is new tech and you don't even want to use Lithium and the weight would give it traction...

I think you could start with the rear track for a Snowbike- that might be the right size if it was wide enough. I saw an old Artcic Cat "kitty cat"yesterday that also might be the right size. The batteries, I am sorry, but I feel you are stuck with lithium- even 1 golf car battery is 80lb, and if you want to lift it, that puts you out of the ballpark. You need a lot more power than you think- if you are making this for when you need help pulling a sled, that is because the load is high. Since even an off road E-bike is thousands, I would assume you are going to be several times that.
It is hard to beat a Briggs engine for power/$

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Just came across this thing. Not exactly what you are looking for but pretty neat and not terribly expensive.

https://volcon.com/
westernmas on the finder

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2020, 10:48 AM »
I would think an electric Snowdog would be pretty easy to build at this point in time. There are a lot of powersports being made with electric motors. For some folks that would be amazing. Something you can throw in the back of the SUV? perfect.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:01 AM »
I would think an electric Snowdog would be pretty easy to build at this point in time. There are a lot of powersports being made with electric motors. For some folks that would be amazing. Something you can throw in the back of the SUV? perfect.

So my actual SnowDog has a 13.5hp Briggs n Straton Engine that from what I can find does about 21ft/lbs or about 28.5Nm of torque. Just a quick google search of 12v electric motors that have equivalent power finds several that might work. More research on power requirements etc, but I can't see why you couldn't do it. Take a bit more skill than I have but maybe if you have the tools time and skill, go for it. If they had one that could match my SnowDog I would consider it. I think original post said just walking speed so probably could get away with even less of a motor. I figure in a year or two I will see one that somebody with skill makes or a company comes out with. Think about how many guys are moving over to electric drills and augers. Just a matter of time.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:16 AM »
https://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/new-prebuilt-all-terrain-tracked-platform-with-dewalt-adapter/2834/

could get something like this, maybe a little bigger and I think it might do part of what the OP wanted.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2020, 07:32 PM »
This would not be practical for me or the way I fish.  I spend quite a bit of time out on the ice and in a typical day I travel at least 10 miles a day on the ice.  Pulling a load, this is nothing I am interested in.  It may work for some but for the price point, I'd rather go with a used sled or ATV. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.