Author Topic: Storage rack for 2-up snowmobile  (Read 1868 times)

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
Storage rack for 2-up snowmobile
« on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Picked up a used 2000 yamaha venture and looking forward to adding some ice fishing mods. 
Would be nice to carry the rods/lures/sonar/auger outside of the tub due the rattling/vibrations of travel (snapped a rod in the past in the tub)
I feel like there's enough to secure mounts on to - 2-up seat, rear bar etc - I've seen the Johnson cargo racks but seems like they went out of business?

Would love some suggestions!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Storage rack for 2-up snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Bolt 5 or 6 milk crates together with 3/4" bolts. How you attach to the sled depends on whether you have a rack or not. Simple, cheap and carries a lot of stuff.

Add other stuff like a place to hold your tipup bag and an auger holder, all made from scrap around the house.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2020, 09:37 AM »
The Otter Monster box has a lot of storage if you have room for it.  I prefer my auger up front where I can keep an eye on it going through trails between trees etc. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2020, 12:02 PM »
I don't tow my shanty. I made a rack, gear doesn't get beat up. I had the seat shorten to make room for the shanty rack, still can squeeze in two on the sled. Rack is low enough to load by yourself, put one side on and side it on.

I like to keep thing at hand for running and gunning till I decide to set up shanty. I made a rod rack to keep a couple of rods all set and ready to go. Flasher usually ride on the tank bag. Bait and scoop in the bait bucket holders. I like the auger up front also, keeps the weight a little better distributed.

I designed the shanty rack, auger rack and bait buckets to fit my needs. I had them made by a fabricator, to get exactly what you want, that's the way to go.
It all fit in the sled trailer with no loading or unloading.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2020, 12:12 PM »
some sweet rides and excellent ideas here!

I don't have very much to take with me that i'm worried about dragging - unlikely i'll be able to get the whole Bass Pro 2 man flip shelter up of the ground without some sort of bolt-on metal rack.  Getting that up off the ground would be the best scenario like you've got there bart - just don't see how it would work with the 2-up yami venture.

I think the plan so far would be keep my flasher which is also my gps unit over the tank at the front somehow - any suggestions for a gas tank/handlebar bag that would fit the 8" circular base of my lowrance ice kit snugly? 

Then my rods and tackle all fit in to a 36" or so rod bag - kind of awkward to find a plate to hang/mount it but the milk crates might be a start. 

Other than that - chairs/propane/Mr Buddy/scoops/spud should be happy in the BPS flip shelter sled.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2020, 02:38 PM »
I just put the bag for my Garmin ice kit on the dash, and have 2 command hooks that swing over and catch the rings on the side of the bag to keep it in place. Lets me use the maps for navigation.

The rest of my gear goes into a custom built plywood box on the back rack. I would worry about putting too much on the rear of the sled, especially in deep snow. I don't even like taking a sled unless it is absolutely necessary.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2020, 03:27 PM »
I u-bolt one of these lightweight aluminum racks on top of my existing cargo rack.  Super simple and fits three 18 gallon totes, or duffel bags, or gas cans, or whatever you feel like hauling.

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2020, 06:37 PM »
I just put the bag for my Garmin ice kit on the dash, and have 2 command hooks that swing over and catch the rings on the side of the bag to keep it in place. Lets me use the maps for navigation.

Good idea - how do you mount the command hooks?  That's exactly what i'm thinking for saving on buying a second unit. 

I u-bolt one of these lightweight aluminum racks on top of my existing cargo rack.  Super simple and fits three 18 gallon totes, or duffel bags, or gas cans, or whatever you feel like hauling.

Wow great idea!  I wish the Yamaha venture had more mounting points at the back but this seems like the best option so far for myself looking for a quick and easy solution

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2020, 10:37 AM »
I use the wire command hooks, they just stick to the fiberglass cowling, and swing over to catch the rings on the sides of the ice kit bag. Not the way they were meant to be used, but it works for this application. You need a bit of room on the dash- my sled is the old style, and I have no gages to block, so there is plenty of room.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.