Author Topic: Chains for a ATV  (Read 3966 times)

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chains for a ATV
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 05:55 PM »
I’m sure this has been beaten to death.
Just bought a ATV late last year cause I’m tired of walking way out on the ice.
Chains worth it?
On just the back tires or on all 4 tires?
Getting the ice fishing itch and can’t wait!
Thanks!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Chains for a ATV
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:00 PM »
Depends on a couple of factors like how much snow/ slush you're travelling through or what you plan on pulling.  My wheeler goes through quite a bit without chains but there are some times where a snowmobile is better.  Chains definitely help with grip but my quad seldom needs then here in NH.  Nice to have depending on your machine.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:35 PM »
I use them on rear wheels only for better traction, and they seem to help pulling through deeper snow here in MN. if you get just make sure you put them on really tight, and maybe even have a few extra bungees to help pull tight and links that might come loose. You can't go very fast because if they come loose they can rip your fenders or brakes line up like crazy.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:44 PM »
I don't run an ATV but been with plenty that do. Chains are a must and if your rig is 4WD you need chains all the way around. Go cheap if you want but be prepared to get winched or pulled at some point. That's if you're running in the north part of the state with lots of snow.

If you're going to stay, say, south of Oshkosh you might get by without. Especially now when snow has been at a premium. Then you gotta be mindful of thin spots from springs, current and late freezing deep spots. Still chains on the back will make things easier both starting and stopping.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Take a look at tire chains.com.  As stated above, don't go for a cheap pair of chains.  The ole saying holds true, you get what you pay for.  A cheap set will break and potentially damage your plastics or more.   I would recommend the studded diamond chains.  I had a set and ran them on an Artic Cat 700 4x4 atv.  I fit them with the tires underinflated and then put the air back in to keep them tight.  It was a great set-up.  I'm now running a 2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000 and so far haven't needed chains.  I have put ice racing screws in the tires for a little extra grip when pulling the wheelhouse.   

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2020, 09:22 PM »
I’m sure this has been beaten to death.
Just bought a ATV late last year cause I’m tired of walking way out on the ice.
Chains worth it?
On just the back tires or on all 4 tires?
Getting the ice fishing itch and can’t wait!
Thanks!

Depends on what your doing. I put chains on my rear wheels only, and that is to get traction pulling out my wheel house with a dolly. Seems like if the snow is deep, the ice is thick enough for my pickup.

Just pulling a voyager flip over I never put chains on......but my tires are pretty aggressive/good tread

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2020, 03:41 PM »
Run chains on the rear wheels as a minimum. I have a 2019 Polaris Sportsman 570 and wanted to put chains all the way around but with how the suspension arms and springs are on these I was not able to put a set on the front do to not having enough clearance between that stuff and the tire. I ended up with chains on just the rear and have not had any issues with them not being enough by them self. I actually was able to pull the front end off the ice and ended up doing a wheelie with out even trying too. hit the gas a little to fast and the front lifted up when the rear chains dug in the ice. that surely woke me up that morning as I was not expecting that to happen.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2020, 04:53 PM »
x2. Tie rod ends  on the front of my Polaris Sportsman 500 messed me up. No problems with only having chains on the rear. Plowed the driveway just fine.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Thanks guys, all of you brought up points I never would have thought of.
Going to look into chains for the back.
Looks like a learning curve.
While I have everyones attention.
Thoughts on getting a winch?
Not going to plow with the ATV.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:16 PM »
I run the 3500 pound Polaris winch on my sportsman but I do plow with it so I wanted a stronger heavier duty winch. I like the fact that it comes with a remote so if you ever get stuck you don't have to stand right by the machine to run the winch I can be like up to 50 feet from the winch and it still works. I also made a heavy duty flat bar that I can hook to the winch and drop down a hole in the event that I get stuck and need to pull my self out with it. but I will say this even with chains and a winch still use you best judgement and avoid questionable areas like really deep snow or slush.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2020, 06:47 PM »
I run a 3500 pound winch on my XMR and i have used it to a few times on the ice.  Nice to have if you manage to get stuck or to pop your permy shanty if it get frozen in.  Used a winch to flip this shanty back on its wheels.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:29 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MT4386 these work fine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2186P7 these are awesome but I can't justify over $100 for a pair of chains

Catchin' Fish

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:55 PM »
I live in Wisconsin, fish all over from Central WI and south and dont run chains on my ATV. The only time I had an issue is when the snow was deep enough that the frame of the machine sat on the packed down snow and the tires wouldnt touch the ice much, only happened 1 season and that was a  2 week stretch. That was also pulling my Otter flipover shack which slowed my down. Without the flipover, I havent had a problem without chains

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 05:19 PM »

Just a heads up but make sure you get a good set of chain tighteners. If the chains aren't put on tight and kept tight they can really chew stuff up like fenders.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2020, 02:54 PM »
You should be fine without chains most of the time. I use mine to plow, and when you are really pushing, chains keep you from constantly spinning. I wore out a set of tires plowing a large lot one winter, and got chains instead of spending a set of tires every season. If your tires are worn out or just not aggressive enough, chains are a good substitute, and can be cheaper than tires.
I could almost always drive around with the plow up no problem, but when I needed to push a pretty good pile, chains help. If you are pulling a ton of stuff, chains might be required.
I will tell you that chains such as you want for this (big heavy ones with twisted spikes going down to the ice) will make marks on your driveway and take paint off your trailer.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:58 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MT4386 these work fine
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2186P7 these are awesome but I can't justify over $100 for a pair of chains

I think those Diamond pattern chains are always premo prices !!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:34 AM »

A winch isn't a bad idea.  I've owned several 4x4's and side by sides and always added one for the simple reason its better to have and not need or need and not have.  Every winch I have bought came from Harbor Freight and saved a ton of money even after buying their replacement plan.  I buy their 3500 Badlands and never had a problem pulling trees off the trails or other machines stuck in mud/slush or whatever.  Sure, I could have bought a Warn or other expensive model but why?  Badland winches do the same thing those expensive ones do and besides, if it breaks down, its replaced for free with that plan.  Thats not gonna happen with Warn or other expensive brands.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:57 AM »
I've got a Polaris 500 HO & have run chains for yrs. I finally broke down & got a set of 1" spacers for the front & run then all 4 tires now. The key for tight install is to get the tire off the ground & pull the valve, get them as tight as possible so when you air up there won't be any slack or slippage. I've never had chain slap or chains come loose. V bar chains at Fleet Farm are what I use.  ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2020, 07:08 AM »

I use my cat TRV for just plowing,  V bar on all four ,

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2020, 12:26 PM »
The diamond pattern chains work very well. I have those on the rear and v bars on the front for 7 years now. The v bars are pretty worn but the studs are holding up great.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2020, 10:31 AM »
I found v-bar passenger car tire chains cheap on craigslist.  Cut em down to fit. 4 tire set for $20.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I run chains on the rear of my 2010 Polaris Ranger, they are helpful for ice fishing, and essential for gathering sap in the sugar bush. If I was going to have a problem with the chains the abuse they get hauling sap would show up. Beside deflating the tires before installation I use coil springs salvaged from a trampoline as tensioners. They work great, way better than bungees.

Duke

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:30 PM »
At the very least go with v bar on the back.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Chains on the rear and studs on the front.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.