Author Topic: Cutting down an auger, any tips?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cutting down an auger, any tips?
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 08:02 PM »
I have a 6" Nils powered by a Milwaukee drill. I love it but its longer than I need it to be, living in Pa we seldom see much over 18inches of ice. Figure I could cut it down 6-12" pretty easily, lining it up to reweld is the only thing that worries me. I don't have any fancy  jigs or holders to perfectly align it and don't want some crazy wobble with a blade that sharp down by my feet. Any tips?

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cutting down an auger, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2018, 08:18 PM »
If your just cutting the shaft and not the auger flighting clamp it in a piece of angle iron or find a tight fitting stub to fit inside the tube. Tack rotate check repeat.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I cut down my 8'' Nils about 4 '' by taking a section out and splicing back by inserting a piece of tubing inside the shaft and joining together using small stainless bolts . No welding.  Been that way for 5 yrs with no problem.
Oops! is too late.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:11 AM »
If your just cutting the shaft and not the auger flighting clamp it in a piece of angle iron or find a tight fitting stub to fit inside the tube. Tack rotate check repeat.
That will work!!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:53 AM »
Shaft clamped in angle iron works great. I use "C" clamps to hold the shaft in place. Only differance I extend mine to 42". I use an 18" extension when ice gets to 4 ft. In late season. I also use Mora Hand augers as I find them at $5 to $10 at garage sales and Flea markets. I use 7/8" DOM tubing inside the shaft to extend and 1" conduit on the receiver end to beef up the tube. I also make my own adapters using 7/8 cold roll as its .875 dia. solid & cheaper than DOM. I'm working on 3 more 6", 7' & 8" adding shaft length, a center point and blade mods for different cutting speeds.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I cut mine, to make it longer, and lighter too..

Used a piece of aluminum tubing to reconnect it all..

<°)))>{

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I cut mine, to make it longer, and lighter too..

Used a piece of aluminum tubing to reconnect it all..

<°)))>{
Does the shorter flighting effect it’s ability to clear shavings or flush the hole after?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Does the shorter flighting effect it’s ability to clear shavings or flush the hole after?

Not really, in fact, it seems most electric setups, you have to lift them up to clear shavings anyway, so I just lift it as needed.. Shorter flights are less apt to rub the sides of the hole which robbs horsepower too..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:59 PM »
That's an 8" above..

Here's that 8" next to a 6" I've been running for years.. Works better for really thick ice, takes a lot more work for the drill to spin all those chips with all those flights..

Pictures aren't loading right now..

<°)))>{

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I never thought of angle iron to align it. That should work perfect and I have a bunch of it laying around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.