Author Topic: April Ice?  (Read 6274 times)

Offline WMUAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
April Ice?
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:08 PM »
I wanted to head up to the UP for a 4 day weekend (April 4th through the 7th).  Am I dreaming thinking that I can ice fish, or does the UP usually hold ice that long.  I'm looking specifically for Caribou Lake, but any information would be great. I'm a born Yooper, but haven't lived up there since I was about 5 years old.  Thanks for the info!

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Re: April Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:23 PM »
I was out sunday on 30" of ice and a buddy of mine fished another lake with about 40". If these cold temperatures keep up like they have been I expect to be fishing through March and maybe into April if we're lucky enough. This is my first year up here so I don't know what the spring weather is usually like, we never got ice like this downstate.

Offline WMUAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:30 PM »
I hope it makes it until April.  How do you like Marquette? I live in the Grand Rapids area now but I was born in Marquette.  I wish we got ice like that down here.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:32 PM »
as far as i can remember early april is really pushing it. it'll depend on the weather but for the most part i wouldn't count on it.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:33 PM »
Usually the small lakes are good through early April...but who wants to do that when you can kill the coho out on the bubblers  ;)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:59 PM »
Usually the small lakes are good through early April...but who wants to do that when you can kill the coho out on the bubblers  ;)

I might have to give that a try, I've never fished it that time before. When do they start showing up and what can you catch them on.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:34 PM »
people are fishing the bubblers right now launching off of the beach by the mouth of the dead.
-Sro

Offline BFTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:00 AM »
are you talking about caribu lake on the east end? ?  if so, that's a pretty good sized lake and you might be able to get on there early april.  might want to bring a ladder.  more than likely, you'll find that the first 10' of ice from shore is either gone or absolute junk. 
i would not count on being able to ice fish.  if the right weather hits, ice and snow can go bye bye in a few days. . . . remeber '02?
btw, bubblin' has been for sucks lately.

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Yeah a lot of people get the bubbler itch way too early....look for them to turn on last week of March through April...I was lucky to stay on the fish and kept getting limits all the way till May last year.

Offline Zee UP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:43 PM »
but who wants to do that when you can kill the coho out on the bubblers  ;)

CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT AND WHERE THE BUBBLERS ARE, THANKS.

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Zee,

The "bubblers" as they call it are two seperate pipes that the power company has leading out into Lake Superior. They are extremely close to the shore out of upper harbor. As mentioned above some people are already fishing them, and launching off of the dead. Usually the fishing does not get really good until the city opens up the upper harbor launch anyway. Getting back to the description, there are two bubblers, probably 100 yards or so offshore in about 20-22 foot of water. They are easily noticable because of all the "bubbles" surfacing on the top of the water. When the coho come in they use these to hang out in and spawn because of the warm water discharge. There are also occurances of splake and the occasional brown being caught while fishing. People usually jig with a 3/8 ounce head or troll. I am a troller, and always will be one so that was my method of catching them. Take a ride along lakeshore near upper harbor on any decent day out in the upcoming weeks and you will see boats on them. Like I said, when the fish are in, you will know. Last year I was out there and counted 50 or more boats out with me....it almost reminded me of fishing spring eyes near the edison stacks on the Detroit river. 

One thing is for sure, when you hook one of them, the cold water does not affect their fight! Truely an awesome fish, one of my favorite to catch.

-Andy

Offline stalefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I'm from the Iron Mountain area and all I can say is you got a chance.  I've literally driven trucks on the ice in the UP in April but that is rare.  The latest I've ice-fished in the UP is early May.  Thats walking through open water to get on the ice though...  I've not been able to fish trout openers on UP lakes the last Sat. in April cause they were iced in.  I often ice-fish early April with the ice typically coming off the lakes mid April 

Offline Zee UP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Andy,
   Thank you so much for the nice info , I'll definitely check the bubblers as soon as I can. I was fishing the sand point (Kew.Bay) for Coho and Herring and it is getting so slow, now am fishing the pump house at Kew. Bay for lakers, I catch my limit (3) in about two hours.
Thanks a gain for the info.
Zee

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Where is the pump house in KB?

Offline Zee UP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:34 AM »
It is about 1 mile north of L'Anse, the Pump house is at shore and the water treatment plant is at the other side of the road. I fish about 180'-190' of water, it is about the meddle of the bay between the pump house and the sand point.
Regards.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2008, 01:25 PM »
Zee UP. how far off the bottom are you?

Offline Zee UP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Zee UP. how far off the bottom are you?

I fish 180'-190' and that's the deepest you can get at that spot, you can see few shanties there, usually 5 or so.

Offline JKneibel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2008, 12:50 PM »
How far is that from the shore.  I guess what im askin is do you need transportation to get out there?  What are you using for bait and tackle?
A bad day fishing and drinking beer is better than a good day at work!

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:17 AM »
WOW, we got all the lurkers coming out of the shadows for this fishing spot.
-Sro

Offline Zee UP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:25 AM »
How far is that from the shore.  I guess what im askin is do you need transportation to get out there?  What are you using for bait and tackle?
It is a walking distance, about 8 min. start from the pump house and walk NW.
Regards

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:53 AM »
isnt that what this forum is all about though? helping others to enjoy ice fishing? just a thought

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:43 PM »
bait and tackle for Lakers: I use a jigging rod with Fireline or Spiderwire on an open face reel. On the terminal end I use a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. roundhead jig with half of a smelt. I cut the smelt in half and just use the tail. Take the hook and stick it into the body cavity up to the curve and come out one side of the smelt, turn it around and slide the end of the smelt to the head of the jig and bring the point up through the smelt so it comes out on the other side. It is just like rigging a plastic worm. It stays on even when the fish bite so you don't have to reel the line up every time you get a bite to check your bait. (important, because it takes a long time for the line to get back down to the bottom in 200' of water with a light jig.)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:52 PM »
isnt that what this forum is all about though? helping others to enjoy ice fishing? just a thought

well yes, but who does it help besides the lurkers, when they aren't doing anything but asking for directions to spots. I'm just saying maybe they should contribute.
-Sro

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:29 PM »
maybe someone should start this thread over...

I keep thinking someone has something to contribute about April Ice... but all I read about are comments on how to get to this "secret" spot by sand point and what to use how deep. sheesh.

As far as the lurkers go...in the beginning I was a lurker.... now I can actually catch fish through the ice on a "regular" basis... so I have something to contribute other than I stink at ice fishing.  But if a lurker is just looking for the sweet spots to go fishing... go fishing and find your own sweet spots it isn't rocket science, there is some pretty simple logic involved.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:29 AM »
I think there have been a number of contributions to April Ice but I will add my 2 cents worth too. As others have already said, it depends on the year. It also depends on the lake. There have been years that I have been fishing on Keweenaw Bay in April on the ice. There have been other years that I have been out there in April in a boat. I don't usually fish for panfish so I don't hit any of the inland lakes after the end of Feb. once the pike and walleys seasons close. However in May of '96 we were fishing on the 2nd weekend of the season on Lac Vieux Desert (Wisconsin-Michigan border waters open for pike and walleye on the 1st Sat. in May) and there were still people ice fishing on the lake. We were able to launch my boat at the boat launch on the NE side of the lake because there was a river coming into the lake near the launch and the ice was out at that spot.
All of this to say, check the conditions around the time you are going to try to fish. There is no way to tell you in advance what the ice will be like.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:50 PM »
So hows the ice holding up so far? I would imagine its still very solid, but I havn't been on any of the inland lake since last weekend. Planning on fishing Independence this weekend if I don't end up chasing some steel. I'll post a report when I get back.

Offline WMUAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:14 AM »
So hows the ice holding up so far? I would imagine its still very solid, but I havn't been on any of the inland lake since last weekend. Planning on fishing Independence this weekend if I don't end up chasing some steel. I'll post a report when I get back.

I hear that there was still about 2 feet of ice and about 3 feet of snow on Caribou Lake as of last week.  If there is still ice up there next weekend, I might try to make it up. Reports throughout the week would be great if anyone has them.  Thanks guys!  and no more hijacking the thread ;)

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 11, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Well on topic, it's april and there is still ice on most inland lakes. Anybody still fishing the hardwater?

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Sure beats standing in a freezing river trying for steelhead. ;D  When the weather permits it has been good.  Some pics from this past week.

The bass were a hoot on the bluegill rod.  Catch them again this summer.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Apr 13, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Sure beats standing in a freezing river trying for steelhead. ;D  When the weather permits it has been good.  Some pics from this past week.
(Image removed from quote.)
The bass were a hoot on the bluegill rod.  Catch them again this summer.
Nice fish  :thumbsup: I'm hoping to get out a few more times this week, the forcast is looking pretty warm though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.